Click Here!

Which do you prefer to READ and WRITE?

Kanashii

When you are WRITING, do you prefer to write 'novels' (20 or more chapters) or short stories (under 20 chapters)? Readers, do you enjoy LONG stories or short stories (4 or less chapters)?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When you are WRITING, do you prefer to write 'novels' (20 or more chapters) or short stories (under 20 chapters)? Readers, do you enjoy LONG stories or short stories (4 or less chapters)?

• I only/usually WRITE short stories (1-2 chapters)
    • I prefer to WRITE long in-depth novels (over 20 chapters)
    • I prefer to READ short stories (1-2 chapters)
    • I prefer to READ long in-depth novels (over 20 chapters)
    • I will WRITE whatever my "muse" tells me to (short or long), and have several of both types of story.
    • I will READ any story which is well done and draws me in, whether it is a short PWP or a full-length novel

Ha ha, hisbabybird, I have the exact same problem! Novellas are fairly "easy" for me to write, and novels take some time, but I can do it, it's just the short stories that have me. I suppose a lot of my ideas are fairly complex, and I feel like I just can't tell it in a scene or two. Even at that, though, my chapters tend to be pretty long, about 11-13 pages. That's also saying that my stories tend to not focus on the erotica aspect, but something else. I've only written one sex scene and that was a long time ago. It was so awful I think I tramatized myself into not writing another one.

That will more than likely change, though.

As a reader, I think I'm equally drawn to both short stories and longer stories, depending on what I'm in the mood for, what captures my interest and how well they are written. I do agree that the longer ones that leave you hanging are just aggravating, though.

Good to know that it's not just me! I keep telling myself that I'm going to try my hand at a PWP, but thus far it's failed to materialize. And trust me, I understand the 'ridiculously long chapter length' syndrome -- sometimes there's just too much to say and too many things to fit in before a chapter can reach its conclusive end. I really enjoyed the first chapter of 'Winthrop Manor,' and I understand what you mean about not focusing on the erotica aspect -- I really enjoy stories that choose to focus on building a scene, first, on creating a setting and a cast of characters that I can hear, touch, feel, see, rather than launching straight into the sex, but I am excited to see that you might be adding a bit into your tale. I've spent the past few years learning how to balance content and smut, and it's definitely be an interesting and exciting experience.

I am in a 'flash' fiction class and my last assignment as to write a 500 word story, introducing 5 characters with traits and names. Every sentence I wrote, I had to keep checking my word count to make sure I wasn't going to go off on a tangent and write a short novel. It was really painful. Especially keeping in mind I'm writing a novel right now that's at 300 pages. Ugh.

I am in a 'flash' fiction class and my last assignment as to write a 500 word story, introducing 5 characters with traits and names. Every sentence I wrote, I had to keep checking my word count to make sure I wasn't going to go off on a tangent and write a short novel. It was really painful. Especially keeping in mind I'm writing a novel right now that's at 300 pages. Ugh.
Good luck with your novel shini, as well as your assignement too. I'm sure it will turn out well. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I prefer longer productions... I like when emotion goes with action. I like getting to know characters. Then it works for me - I am emotionally engaged. Everything is more powerfull and has stronger impact.

That's why I prefer also writing long stories. I need time to create a character and get to like or dislike him/her :)