Click Here!

More Captivating Plot Flow

RikuDrak

I'd like to ask a question that has to do with me trying to plan a story I'm writing. Now, I'll begin by saying I'm definitely more of a visual artist myself and haven't studied nor plan on studying the art of the written word, therefore any and all help and advice is appreciated. Criticism is also nice.

So, I've been trying to write (and rewrite) a story of mine. Whether or not it makes an actual good story remains to be seen, but I hope I can pull it off. It's centered around an original character and his life, essentially. My original idea was to write it in third person, following the life of a character that the main problematic character will influence a lot. It had no specific point of views, just disjointed observation that would follow a series of events from beginning to end. When I wanted to rewrite it the second time, I decided to make it from the point of view of a third party that simply happens to be recording and observing the events from beginning to end. This time around, I'm considering making it a first hand account of the main troublemaking character.

I was also thinking of making it something like "Interview with a Vampire" (or even Fight Club) in the sense that you start at the end and explain the beginning up until the ending (beginning of the story) point. This character has a lot of mysteries and interesting truths that occur at the beginning of his life, and therefore sort of take the suspense out of learning his true nature. I'm afraid it will dwindle to be super boring recount of some strange guy's life.

I guess the questions I'm asking here is, what course of action do you suggest I take (begin at the end or linearly start at the beginning and end at the ending) and what course of action is more appealing to read? Should I make some sort of oddly arranged line where he explains bits that do not reveal his full mystery until much later?

Edited by RikuDrak

it is generally a good idea to start at the ending only if you have an incredible twist that people have to know about, other wise people just get annoyed. If you don't do it right, it can also be very confusing. I'm a very linear person, but I also love twist endings. So, in other words, it isn't the plot but how you write it. You can accomplish either as long as you keep it engaging and sensical. The more plot twists and complex characters you put in, the more likely you'll lose your audience. Simplicity is a beautiful thing. For example, IT by Stephen King had a lot of time mix ups. He flips from when his characters are kids to when they are adults so many times, but because he kept things simple and clear, it worked beautifully and actually made the novel so good.