Click Here!

Japanese Clothing

urocissaornata

I'm a bit of a lurker but I have a burning question and need some resources, and I figured you guys might be just the experts I'm looking for.

I have posted a fic at AFF, called "The Hair Ribbon" and it was my first foray into writing adult fanfiction. Now I have the bug, and I'm working on a much longer Rurouni Kenshin fic centered around the time in the immediate aftermath of the Jinchuu arc.

The problem: I probably got some of the details of clothing wrong in my published fic, and I need to know a lot more details for this long fic. If Kenshin is going to be undressing Kaoru, I want to know exactly what he's peeling off. wink.gif

It's proving to be a real stopping point for me, and I know I can't even get this fic into a suitable beta format without this knowledge. Plus, I'd like to fix my previous fic.

Does anyone have any good resources that describe each layer of what Meiji-era Japanese women and men wore? I'd like to know the name (and even fabric content, if possible) of everything from underwear to outerwear, and everything in between. I can read hiragana and katakana, and a few kanji. If anyone has pictures, that'd be doubly welcome.

I really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks in advance for your time!

Edited by urocissaornata

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.