Click Here!

Guidelines for posting resumes

EveKnight75

If you wish to work as a beta on AFF, this is where you apply by posting a resume.

If you wish to work as an official/regular beta on AFF, you absolutely must post a resume. If a request is issued and there's no response after a week, I will contact any qualifying beta on the official listing. Official betas will be granted "Beta" membership status.

If you believe that you'd like to become a regular beta in the future but are not sure, state this in your resume and proceed as if you were applying for a regular position. If you finally decide by the end of your third job that you wish to become an official beta, let me know and you shall be granted "Beta" status. If not, I shall have to assume that you have finally decided not to become an official beta. Before your final decision, I shall treat you as an official beta in that I will contact you with any requests that you may be able to answer.

If you're looking for beta work on AFF but do not wish to become a regular beta, post a request with your resume. If I find someone who could use your help, I'll contact you and you can choose to answer the request. After you accept one assignment, I shall not contact you again.

If you wish to answer an existing request but do not wish to become a regular beta on AFF, state so, tell me which request you are answering, and post your qualifications for answering the specific request. I shall not contact you for any similar beta requests that may occur in the future.

If you want to try your hand at being a beta, but have no prior experience, that is fine. Everybody has to start somewhere. You can apply for an official position, but "Beta" status shall be granted after the completion of your first job instead of immediately.

For each type of beta position, you will need to answer a separate set of questions. Click the appropriate link to be taken to the right application.

- I want to become an official beta or am considering it.

- I want to apply as a one-time beta for an existing request.

- I am looking for beta work in the future, but I don't want to become an official beta.

- I have no prior experience as a beta.

The following is a rough sketch of what you need to include in your application/resume if you wish to apply as an official beta or are considering it in the future. If you have no prior experience as a beta, go straight here for a different application.

Start off with one of the following statements:

I wish to apply as an official beta. / I'm thinking of becoming an official beta but I'm not sure yet.

In the case of the second statement, you must decide by the end of the third job, contact me, then edit your resume to include one of the following statements:

I have finally decided to become an official beta. / I have decided that being an official beta is not for me.

Answer as many of the following questions as possible. Please try to elaborate as much as you can.

• How many years have you worked as a beta?
  • Provide links to some of the work that you have beta'd. Link the titles. Work posted outside of AFF is acceptable as well.
  • In which capacities have you served as a beta? (Spelling/grammar, canon, characterization, etc.)
  • Which types of potentially objectionable content have you beta'd for? Correspond it to warning tags if possible.
  • Is there any type of work you haven't beta'd for but are willing to accept? (Capacities, objectionable content).
  • Are there any specific areas in which you would not be willing to beta?
  • What are your personal boundaries as a beta?
  • What are your weaknesses when it comes to beta work?
  • How do you tend to interact with an author when doing beta work?
  • Can you determine an average speed when it comes to performing beta work?
  • For which fandoms have you worked? Which fandoms do you frequent? Do you consider yourself well-versed on any specific characters?
  • Have you done any unusual beta work in the past?
  • Do you have any quirks when it comes to beta work?
  • Is there anything else that you'd like to include here?

The following is a rough sketch of what you need to include in your application/resume if you wish to answer an existing request but have no plans on becoming a regular beta for AFF. If you have no prior experience as a beta, go straight here for a different application.

Start off with the following statement:

This is a one-time gig. I wish to answer the following request: (linked title of request)

Answer as many of the following questions as possible. Please try to elaborate as much as you can.

• Provide links to some of the work that you have beta'd. Link the titles. Work posted outside of AFF is acceptable as well.
  • Have you worked within any of the requested capacities? (Spelling/grammar, canon. characterization).
  • What experience do you have in this fandom? If there are any specific characters being dealt with, how much do you know about them?
  • Have you worked with any of the objectionable content presented? If not, how often have you dealt with it? Correspond it to warning tags if possible.
  • How do you tend to interact with an author when doing beta work?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to working as a beta?
  • Is this an unusual request? If so, do you have any experience with this request? What qualifications do you have for this specific request?
  • Is there anything else you'd like to include here?

The following is a rough sketch of what you need to include in your application/resume if you want to seek future beta work but do not wish to become an official AFF beta. If you have no prior experience as a beta, go straight here for a different application.

I'm looking for beta work in the future. I haven't found any requests to my liking yet.

• In which capacities are you willing to work as a beta? Do you have any prior experience within these capacities? (spelling/grammar, canon. characterization. etc).
  • Which types of potentially objectionable content have you beta'd for? Correspond it to warning tags if possible.
  • Is there any type of work you haven't beta'd for but are willing to accept? (Capacities, objectionable content).
  • What are your limits/boundaries when it comes to accepting beta work? Answer in regards to both capacities and objectionable content.
  • For which fandoms have you worked? Which fandoms do you frequent? Do you consider yourself well-versed on any specific characters?
  • Is there anything else you'd like to include here?

The following is a rough sketch of what you need to include in your application/resume if you want to try your hand at beta work but you have no prior experience.

I've never been a beta before. Still, I've got to start somewhere if I want to become one.

Add on any one of the following statements:

I want to become an official beta on AFF. / I want to answer the following request (linked title of request). / I want to beta something but I haven't found anything to my liking yet.

Answer as many of the following questions as possible. Please try to elaborate as much as you can. I'm going to start off assuming that you're an author. There will be additional questions for those who aren't. From what I've seen, there are reviewers who make excellent betas despite the fact that they don't write stories.

• How long have you been reviewing fanfiction? Describe your average reviewing style. Quote some of your previous reviews and provide links to the corresponding stories. Reviews posted outside of AFF is acceptable as well.
  • How many years have you been posting fanfiction / original fiction online?
  • If you have any stories posted outside of AFF, can you please provide links to them or the corresponding profile? This especially applies to non-adult fics.
  • Which capacities are your strong areas when it comes to writing/reviewing? (Spelling/grammar, canon, characterization, etc.)
  • Which capacities are your weak areas?
  • What types of potentially objectionable content have you written? Correspond it to warning tags if possible.
  • Which types of potentially objectionable content do you read? Which types of potentially objectionable content would you be willing to work with?
  • What are your personal limits/boundaries when it comes to reading, writing, and reviewing? (capacities, objectionable content, etc.)
  • For which fandoms have you written? In which fandoms have you reviewed? Which fandoms do you frequent? Do you consider yourself well-versed on any specific characters?
  • Why do you want to become a beta? What do you think it entails?
  • Do you have any knowledge/experiences/abilities outside of the world of fanfiction that could serve as good qualifications for a beta?
  • Is there anything else that you'd like to include here?