Click Here!

Welcome to Writers' Corner!

EveKnight75

Hi! I'm EveKnight75, the moderator here at Writers' Corner. The basic rules have already been posted above. In this post, I will tell you about the purpose of this forum and talk a little about myself and my moderating style. In additional posts on this thread, I will post information about additional rules. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Writers' Corner is a place for writers to discuss the art of writing. Talking shop, so to speak. Here, we cover different aspects of writing, such as writing styles, problems we encounter in our writing and solutions for them, and writing strategies. Because we are an adult site, we also discuss adult aspects of writing. This includes adult vocabulary, tips for writing erotica, and discussions about sexual/psychological deviations in writing. You can use this forum in addition to the Writing Tips section in the Resources archive at AFF. If you want to gather research and feedback for an article you plan on posting there, this is a good place for that.

If you want advice on a general/broad-range aspect of writing for a specific fic you're working on, come to Writers' Corner. If you specifically want a beta to look over that aspect throughout the fic, then it's obvious that you should post in Fiction Betas.

If you wish to ask for writing advice concerning a specific fandom, please post in the forum corresponding to the archive your in which your fandom category is located. This forum is for writing advice that can apply to all fandoms, not just specific ones.

There are certain rules about posting that I haven't mentioned in the main rules. Please read them and keep them in mind.

• Please do not double-post. It annoys most of the members. If you'd like to quote more than one person, you have to do it within the same post instead of posting back-to-back within the same thread. Use the Edit function as often as you like. If you don't wish to have your edits announced, uncheck the Add the 'Edit by' line in this post? option in the posting area.
  • At this point, the board doesn't nest quotes and doesn't allow you to automatically quote multiple posts. You can highlight and copy text into your post during each edit. If you want to quote a second person within the same post, you can add the post's details manually. In the opening tag, use the following format:
    . The date and time can be found at the top of every post. If you want to nest quotes, use:
    person you're quoting[Q U O T E]quote that person has cited
    [/Q U O T E]
  • Personalized font faces and colors are accepted, as long as they're legible. I use a personalized font and color, but it's OK because as far as I know, no one has any trouble reading my posts. If you have trouble reading someone else's post because of the color or font, let the person know in polite terms. If someone gives you that complaint, try to be reasonably accomodating. This rule applies to me as well. To save you some trouble, we've already determined that this font and color combination is hard on the eyes.
  • Please try to keep your posts on-topic. It's OK to respond to someone else on the thread as long as part of that same post is relevant to the purpose of this thread. All too often, a thread degenerates into a personal conversation between two or three people and it throws the entire thread off. If I see this happening, the members in question will will be warned right before their posts are deleted. We have a PM system in place for a reason - please use it.

There's also a rule about posting graphics here. I do allow links to graphics, as long as they are in good taste and are considered legal within the United States. I myself live in Canada, but because the site is hosted in the U.S., it is restricted to the laws there. As of yet, there are no international laws governing the internet.

What I mean by the graphics rule, is that you are allowed to post a link that includes a picture of two people having sex, depending on your reason. If the picture is part of an article that discusses human sexuality, or it's something like the Kama Sutra, discussing the mechanics of a sexual position, I'll accept it as long as you're discussing how to write a realistic sex scene. Use your judgement before posting pictures/links to pictures that may have questionable content. If you're not sure, show me first and I'll let you know whether or not it's OK.

If you post graphics simply for the sake of trolling/spamming/causing a scene, I'll have to warn you and ask you to delete it. If I don't receive a response after a week, I'll delete it myself. Do not ignore my warnings or try to openly defy me on that matter.

I hate having to call out others, putting members on probation, or banning members. Please don't give me a reason to do any of those things. I tend to give out repeat warnings where they're required. I like to have faith in the members to do the right thing. I also enjoy helping out other members whenever/wherever I can, and I will help you out if you need me whenever you're in any of the forums I am moderating.

In general, I'm what you call a "nice" moderator. I don't abuse the power I have, nor do I intend to. I allow a lot of leeway in posting, as long as it's within the rules.

I've noticed that I rambled on a bit about users who'd break the rules. Sorry about that. I have to put emphasis on that when discussing rules. However, I have not really encountered that much bad behavior on these forums. Most of you are well-behaved intelligent adults who get along well with the majority of the other members, and for that I am glad. I just hope that it stays that way.

Well, I think that covers everything. Wait... for those of you not familiar with my posting style, I always use a special font and color. I rarely change the font and color, and it's always readable. For those of you who are familiar with my posting style, you know that it's just me and it's not a mod thing. Now I've covered everything.

Welcome to Writers' Corner! I'm EveKnight75, and I'll be your friendly, intelligent, and slightly insane moderator during your visit.

Please note that the following rule has been erased and shall no longer be in effect:

Please try to keep your posts on-topic. It's OK to respond to someone else on the thread as long as part of that same post is relevant to the purpose of this thread. All too often, a thread degenerates into a personal conversation between two or three people and it throws the entire thread off. If I see this happening, the members in question will will be warned right before their posts are deleted. We have a PM system in place for a reason - please use it.

I trust you guys not to veer wildly off-topic. So I'm not going to bother. If there's a series of off-topic posts, I'll split it into another thread and you may keep the conversation going there. We'll call it the Sidelines series. The threads will remain here so I can maintain control over them (i.e. keep adding to them). If a Sidelines thread remains inactive for three months, it shall be deleted and PMs will be sent to everyone who participated in the Sidelines.

I hope that the Sidelines system works out for all of us. I'll try to keep them in here. However, I am not familiar with the current staff. Many changes are being made to the forum systems. If a Sideline thread is moved out of here, I can guarantee that it is not a deliberate action on my part. Perhaps it is not my action at all.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're checking to see if a topic already exists, check in Unofficial Guides as well as in Writers' Corner.

Some threads are moved from here to Unofficial Guides (the reasons are explained there). These include a sex thesaurus, a writers' block thread, and a topic on homosexual myths.

If I find a topic here which has already been covered, it shall be combined with the former topic. I'll definitely contact the thread starter. I'll try to contact everyone else who had contributed to the newer thread, but there's no guarantees.