Click Here!

Eternal Sonata

ZombieDuke

So I saw the teaser for Eternal Sonata and oh, how I squealed at its images. I thought as I watched it: "Oh god! It looks like Crono Cross and Radiata Stories had a bastard child!" and then, sadly, I saw that it was for the XBOX360.

There truly is no god, is there? Why couldn't it be for the PS2? I know its an old system, but there are games still coming out for it! crying.gif

Well, you're gonna have to update at some point - either the 360 or PS3. I've got the game but have yet to play it - I have a ridiculous backlog already sad.gif God only knows how I managed to finish Persona 3 last weekend

Though there's still loads of great stuff on the PS2 (Growlanser V, Persona 3, Wild Arms 5 and Soul Nomad to name but a few recent releases) that should suffice for RPG fans.

Still praying that Ar Tonelico 2 will get a US release so I can import.

Guest Big Samurai

I agree with TB. The PS2 is getting a slew of awesome RPGs at the moment, so I wouldn't fret too much that Eternal Sonata -- which is, IMO, a $30 game; $60 is too high -- is for 360. Besides, 360 RPG fans need more than just Blue Dragon and Enchanted Arms to play. (No, Phantasy Star Universe doesn't quite count.)

Hmmmm, both of you raise excellent points think.gif

I'm looking forward to WA5! I love the series so I have hopes for this sequel, but isn't that what happened when the PS2 came out? Wasn't there a sudden influx of really decent games for the PS1?

$60!? ...that's, um, rather out of my price range ph34r.gif

As for choice of console? A Wii or a 360. The PS3 is just too damn expensive dry.gif

Guest Big Samurai
Hmmmm, both of you raise excellent points think.gif

I'm looking forward to WA5! I love the series so I have hopes for this sequel, but isn't that what happened when the PS2 came out? Wasn't there a sudden influx of really decent games for the PS1?

$60!? ...that's, um, rather out of my price range ph34r.gif

As for choice of console? A Wii or a 360. The PS3 is just too damn expensive dry.gif

WA5 has a very stylish release; you get the game in a big, shiny package, and it comes with a small artbook containing artwork from the entire series. The game itself does little to improve on WA4, from what I have seen, but I have seen worse ways to tie off a long-running series. No idea as to whether or not Wild Arms is done for good, but it is a possibility.

Yes, the PS1, in its last days, rocked the box to the very end. I cannot remember all of the releases off the top of my head, since it has been more than seven years, but getting Lunar II and the Arc The Lad collection in the twilight of the PS1 really put a proper cap on that period.

All new 360 games -- with the exceptions of ports like Warriors Orochi, one of my current favorites -- are $60 (or more if there is a special edition). Thus, my 360 library is currently tiny, and it will be for quite a while. I only spend $60 on sure bets.

The 360 has been good to me, but I think the Wii still needs a little time to grow -- and a few good RPGs -- before I take a real interest in it.

WA5 has a very stylish release; you get the game in a big, shiny package, and it comes with a small artbook containing artwork from the entire series. The game itself does little to improve on WA4, from what I have seen, but I have seen worse ways to tie off a long-running series. No idea as to whether or not Wild Arms is done for good, but it is a possibility.

I've only played about 5 hours of WA5 thus far, and I think it has improved on WA4 in that battles aren't finished after one attack from raquel laugh.gif Story hasn't really got started yet but the character development seems better than WA4. I'll reserve my final judgement for when I finish the game though.

It's nice to have the flashy package, etc that ATLUS provided for Wild Arms, Persona and Growlanser, but it isn't really adding anything for me. I for one, would rather ATLUS delay Persona 3, and added the FES 20+hr bonus content from the Japanses version than give me a pretty artbook.

For me, the games come out of the box, get installed to the HDD and are then placed in the cupboard, never to be seen again. biggrin.gif

No idea as to whether or not Wild Arms is done for good, but it is a possibility.

There's still Wild ARMs Crossfire on the PSP to come as well.

Yes, the PS1, in its last days, rocked the box to the very end. I cannot remember all of the releases off the top of my head, since it has been more than seven years, but getting Lunar II and the Arc The Lad collection in the twilight of the PS1 really put a proper cap on that period.

Indeed, the PS2 is becoming an RPG nirvana, just as the PS1 did before it, and I'm loving it. Both Lunar games are classics, and the Arc Trilogy is one of my fave Working Designs releases. The PS1 days were true bliss though...

I'll also recommend Metal Saga as a severely underated RPG - check it out if you can find it- it's dirt cheap and a very different experience.

All new 360 games -- with the exceptions of ports like Warriors Orochi, one of my current favorites -- are $60 (or more if there is a special edition). Thus, my 360 library is currently tiny, and it will be for quite a while. I only spend $60 on sure bets.

I'm also playing Warriors Orochi on the 360 - gotta love the DW/SW characters finally together in one game.

The 360 has been good to me, but I think the Wii still needs a little time to grow -- and a few good RPGs -- before I take a real interest in it.

The Wii doesn't really seem to have done... much of anything after demonstrating the initial gimmick that is the control system, nobody has really followed through with anything substantial... time will tell though.

WA5 can't be dead yet! I love that series biggrin.gif Terra, they haven't gone on saying some word over 50+ times have they? (the word "adult" comes to mind tongue.gif ).

Lunar II, I picked that up about two months ago for 5 bucks laugh.gif along with the first Suikoden and Vagrant Story for $10 shifty.gif

I was really surprised by how much fun Lunar II was! The plot and story... it was fun! Not reptative, not boring, and not some angst-ridden main character!

So, generally, most games now are over $60? *eye twitches* Is there ANY point in getting a new system at the current moment? dry.gif

WA5 can't be dead yet! I love that series biggrin.gif Terra, they haven't gone on saying some word over 50+ times have they? (the word "adult" comes to mind tongue.gif ).

heh, they haven't mentioned it yet - that I can recall at least.

Lunar II, I picked that up about two months ago for 5 bucks laugh.gif along with the first Suikoden and Vagrant Story for $10 shifty.gif

Lunar 1 + 2 = gaming bliss - some of Working Design's finest work, I mean its a game where you actually want to talk to the NPCs as they say something other than "please save the princess," etc. Damn shame that WD folded.

First Suiko is great, but 2 is amazing - Luca Blight is a real bastard. Suiko III + V are great too.

So, generally, most games now are over $60? *eye twitches* Is there ANY point in getting a new system at the current moment? dry.gif

Not too many RPGs out on the next gen consoles at the moment. Give it time though and I'm sure it'll change.

Lunar 1 + 2 = gaming bliss - some of Working Design's finest work, I mean its a game where you actually want to talk to the NPCs as they say something other than "please save the princess," etc. Damn shame that WD folded.

First Suiko is great, but 2 is amazing - Luca Blight is a real bastard. Suiko III + V are great too.

Not too many RPGs out on the next gen consoles at the moment. Give it time though and I'm sure it'll change.

It folded? I thought they were stopped because the two Lunar games had such adult language think.gif

Speaking of Lunar 2:

SPOILER :
I was in tears when I saw Nall and realised that he had been on his own for so long... HE WAS SO HUMAN! crying.gif

Aaaah yes, Suikoden 2, there seems to be more fanfiction about it then the other games worshippy.gif

God I hope so, I wouldn't want the PS2 and GC to be last systems I buy sad.gif

Most of the Working Designs saga is detailed here, I think their last truly great release was Growlanser Generations - a great two game package (once again, I highly recommend it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Designs

Victor Ireland went on to form GaijinWorks in mid 2006, and I don't think anything of import has happened since:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154707.html

SPOILER :
I recognised it was Nall straight away. It's amazing how I'm much more in touch with these sprite based characters I am than with all the polygon based chars of recent years.

If you've not played Suik2 I recommender getting a copy *thinks back to wasting a large part of my school summer holidays with that game - time well spent* But, Suik2 is pretty rare and expensive now - good thing I bought it at release tongue.gif

On the topic of 360/PS3/Wii, I wish Microsoft would get their act together and commission some decent JRPGs for the console - they must know, that is what they need to sell the console in japan. Once that headway is made, the floodgates will open.

Most of the Working Designs saga is detailed here, I think their last truly great release was Growlanser Generations - a great two game package (once again, I highly recommend it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Designs

SPOILER :

I recognised it was Nall straight away. It's amazing how I'm much more in touch with these sprite based characters I am than with all the polygon based chars of recent years.

They made Alunda?! That was the first game I played on the PS1! w00t.gif

Oh man... the number of days I spent crying over the puzzles... Along with the fact I hadn't gotten a memory card yet only increased my level of stress. laugh.gif

SPOILER :
Me too! As soon as I saw him fly on the screen, I was like: "No way. Noooo way. Oh My God! IT'S HIM! ...Poor Nall! crying.gif It seems to me, that the old characters tended to have, well, more character because the graphics weren't as great and they really needed the story sell the game.

They made Alunda?! That was the first game I played on the PS1!  w00t.gif

Oh man... the number of days I spent crying over the puzzles... Along with the fact I hadn't gotten a memory card yet only increased my level of stress.  laugh.gif

Yep, Alundra had some VERY taxing/patience sapping/annoying puzzles, not to mention white monkeys flitting about trying to kill you - it wasn't a bad game overall as far as Zelda clones go and I certainly invested many hours into it.

The best overall PS1 RPG's though would probably be Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Tactics Ogre, Lunar 1+2, Suikoden 2 and FF Tactics (none of the PS1 versions ever made it to the UK, except Suiko2, hence my glee when I managed to import them all.) I think I might be missing one of the greats here, but it'll come to me.

Vagrant story was very well realised too, I certainly felt a vagrant storyish feel when playing FFXII.

It seems to me, that the old characters tended to have, well, more character because the graphics weren't as great and they really needed the story sell the game.

Indeed, you've hit the nail on the head there tongue.gif Planescape though on the PC is on a whole different level to anything else I've seen though.

Guest Big Samurai
I think I might be missing one of the greats here, but it'll come to me.

There were 89 RPGs released for the PS1 in the U.S. alone, I suspect the number released in Japan is at least three times that. There's sure to be more greats that have yet to be listed (Star Ocean: The Second Story); I'd also include minor classics like Azure Dreams and Vanguard Bandits (Epica Stella).

Vagrant story was very well realised too, I certainly felt a vagrant storyish feel when playing FFXII.

Oh dear god... that explains Basch's outfit! laugh.gif

On another note: Sam-sama, why do I have this odd feeling that you have a secret bat cave dedicated to games from nearly every platform? think.gif

There were 89 RPGs released for the PS1 in the U.S. alone, I suspect the number released in Japan is at least three times that. There's sure to be more greats that have yet to be listed (Star Ocean: The Second Story); I'd also include minor classics like Azure Dreams and Vanguard Bandits (Epica Stella).

Yep, Star Ocean 2 is one of the greats. Vanguard Bandits is one of the many games that I own, but have not had time to play yet angry.gif

Guest Big Samurai
On another note: Sam-sama, why do I have this odd feeling that you have a secret bat cave dedicated to games from nearly every platform? think.gif

(No need for a -sama; I'm not your lord and master.)

It's not exactly a secret, but ... yes, I mean, I'm a collector, so, except for a few real duds (like the Atari Jaguar, the 3DO, and the Virtual Boy), I've got the goods, all alphabetized by title.

And do try Vanguard Bandits, TB; it's one of the lesser-known Working Designs titles, but it's pretty good.