Click Here!

Let users disable/right-click around the inline image popup viewer?

FairySlayer

The thing drives me nuts. I was reading one thread with five or six pictures in a row, and no matter how I clicked on them (right, to try "open in new tab") or middle/wheel (open in new tab) instead it takes its time animating drawing a box on the screen; then it takes a few seconds to darken everything around it and show the image.. then another second or two for the animation that finally displays the save and close options. So it takes me a minimum of five seconds before I can actually open the image in a new tab (in full size too, if the pop-up viewer resized it).

Every other forum I use, whether or not it has an inline viewer for left clicks, will let users bypass with right or middle click. The way it is now keeps stopping me dead in my tracks every time I need to see these images. I should be able to click them into new tabs while continuing to read. So far the only workaround is to disable JavaScript for the forums, but then I'll have to specifically allow every subdomain on The Archive.

I know IPboard unilaterally removed the non-RTE interface options, so if this is yet another one of their arrogant decisions, then oh well. If anyone can recommend a Firefox addon that forbids sites from intercepting right-clicks then I'd be happy to install that.

All rightclick does for me is open up a menu allowing me to open something in a new tab, or inspect the element. If you're in an image heavy topic, and you want to see the images full size, you will have to right click after load. To close it, if you don't see the 'x', simply press 'esc'. Mind you, without knowing which topic you're referencing to begin with, I can't even duplicate what you're saying is happening.

In Firefox 3.0 and 8.0 at least, no matter which click I use it does the whole animated thing to show the image; then I can right or wheel click on the viewer's "save" button to open it in a new window. It's been that way for a long time now but until recently there was no real need for me to view images on the forums.

So for getting the images into a new tab it just takes to much time to get to where I can do that, IMO. Getting out of the image viewer has never been a problem: I just never want to get into it in the first place. :) I'm pretty sure that IPboard, in its infinite wisdom, did all this intentionally (trapping all clicks instead of just the left/primary), but I was hoping there was an admin option to give users the option to not use the image viewer. At all. Ever.

If not then no worries. The forum works well (actually much better) with JS blocked, and I can always temporarily enable it if I want to use the Shoutbox.

It's not like I've been particularly active here either. ... :(

the particular function you're talking about is an ajax function. Ajax being extended java, blocking java would indeed halt it. It'll stop other things too, aside from the shoutbox. When you see the image thing in a post, what happens is the user is given the option in the upper right corner to go to the next image, if there is one. It also displays the image in its true size, usually; not the thumbnail you see in the post.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.