Click Here!

The Dictator has Spoken

Guest echtrae

Guest echtrae

Bush has commuted part of the sentence of Scooter Libby. Why should you care, you ask? Because Libby is Bush's fall guy.

Bush Directed Cheney To Counter War Critic

President Bush told the special prosecutor in the CIA leak case that he directed Vice President Dick Cheney to personally lead an effort to counter allegations made by former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV that his administration had misrepresented intelligence information to make the case to go to war with Iraq, according to people familiar with the president's interview.

Wilson is the wife of Valerie Plame, the CIA agent who was part of the organization that was tracking weapons of mass destruction. In particular, the middle east and Iran specifically.

So Bush knew and lied, Cheney lied, and Libby took the fall.

If you haven't been paying attention to the news, you might have missed it. Libby was convicted for the outing. Bush immediately turned right around and pardoned Libby the jail term portion of his sentence.

Bush spares Libby from 2 1/2-year prison term

“I respect the jury’s verdict,” Bush said in a statement. “But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby’s sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison.”

What I don't get, is where people get off implying that Libby is the victim. He is clearly a goon for a crime lord, acting on his bosses orders and getting off free and clear for his loyalty to take the fall.

Because of all of this, one site has basically written an obituary for the rule of law in the US.

The Day the Rule of Law Died

You remember the rule of law, don’t you? It was that critical concept that so many republicans bemoaned during the partisan impeachment debacle of Bill Clinton. Suddenly, less than a decade later, it apparently means nothing at all. When this leak occurred, we were assured by President Bush that he would take care of anyone involved with the leak of Plame and that they would no longer work in his administration. Now we know what he meant. Karl Rove, exposed as being involved, is still working for Bush and the man convicted by a jury of his peers receives a get out of jail free card. That is how George Bush takes care of felonious activity in his administration; he rewards it.

If none of this pisses you off, then you've got thicker skin than I've got.

I too find it morally wrong - but... Bush didn't Pardon Libby - he commuted the sentence. It's still on his criminal record that he was convicted, he still has to pay the fine (how much you wanna bet that old Bushy boy and his buddies will put together a pool to help Libby out of that one too?) and he still has to do the probation. I know it's a bit nit picky, but Bush didn't wipe the slate clean with a pardon.

Yes this pisses me off - it's like Bush is coming clean on his part of the bargain. "Hey Libby - you take the fall for me and I'll make damn sure you don't have to do any time." It's like he's saying that it's okay to lie and put an agent's life in danger as long as it benefits him in the long run. But if you think back on his entire 2 terms in office you'll see that Bush tends to do that an awful lot.

Guest echtrae

You're quite right, but here's the latest news.

Libby Pardon Not Off the Table

An eventual pardon for I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby is still on the table, President Bush said Tuesday, one day after commuting the former vice presidential aide's 2 1/2-year prison sentence.

Apparently a full pardon isn't beyond the stretch of imagination. Keep in mind, that this is in relation to the fact that Libby has been convicted of treason against the United States. This behavior clearly gives the impression that Bush is alright with treasonous actions, provided they support his agenda (whatever that is).

Well - seeing as that's the latest news and all - that's really disturbing. As far as Bush's agenda - I don't even think he knows what it is. I honestly think he wakes up in the morning and acts on whatever bee happens to be in his bonnet at the time. It's just that some of those bees are more persistent than others. Immigration is looking better to me all the time. I'm going to have to wait and see what happens with the next election (and I will vote of course)... provided that Bush doesn't blow us all to hell before that can happen.

Guest Big Samurai

The act is within Bush's power as President. Sadly, if it had been a person convicted who wasn't a Republican stooge like Libby, it's quite likely that the poor fall guy would have convicted of treason -- instead of a mere obstruction of justice -- and executed. This whole thing stinks, and it does anger me, but Congress seems to be well aware of the stupidity of what Bush has done.

Just remember, my fellow Americans: we're the ones who put him in there in the first place.

Oh wait, technically we didn't elect him the first time. I take that back.

Frankly, this wasn't surprising. He pretty much did the same thing as governor of Texas. The only difference was the media covered it up more.

The thought that scares me is this one: every president since Carter has gotten progressively worse. What will the next one be like? How will s/he make monkey boy look good in comparison?