Click Here!

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Guest echtrae

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Doesn't Virginia charge $25 for cussing in public?

And, well... 3550 is quite a bit of cash to shell out for going just 15 miles over the limit. Given, this is not one of those victimless crimes. Speed limits are around for a reason. All it takes is 35 mph to kill someone, if the limit is 55 and you're going 70 mph, and you hit someone who popped out in front of you and you didn't stop fast enough because you were going too fast.

OR, you're going so fast to an intersection and you don't see the SUV coming up on you're right, it has to swirve to miss you and it slams, instead, into a store front, or worse, the corner of someone's house where there may or may not be people standing around or crossing the street or what have you (Something I've seen on more the one occasion, I mind you)

So, yeah, $3550 is a good way to protect you from killing something worth a hell of a lot more to someone.

I have to say that if Texas were to raise it's fine I'd use my cruise control more. Right now the fine in Texas is about $250.00/year for 3 years if you don't have liability insurance. There isn't a point system - unless they snuck it in and I didn't see it. It's a pain in the ass - but I haven't let my insurance lapse since I got that ticket 4 years ago - I can tell you that much for sure.

Guest Big Samurai

Oh, good grief, like drivers need any more expenditures on top of car payments, auto insurance, sky-high gas prices, and the ever-present repairs. Things like these make me happy that I'm a devoted pedestrian and bicyclist.

Well, all it takes is one important person being fined that amount of money to get the law overturned. I think it's just a matter of time before some congressperson gets caught speeding in Virginia, then leans on the legislature to overturn this law.

I agree half way with Adara .... I'm happy I don't live in Virginia (that's the last time I complain about Kansas!) but I drive all the time so ....I'm just happy speeding tickets here are like 250-300 depending on how fast you're going (or atleast that's how it was last time I checked. As someone who has never gotten a ticket for anything I can't say much smile.gif )

Our fines here have no upper limit. It depends on how fast you are going over the limit. 30+kph over and you add a dangerous driving charge and the possibility of you car being impounded.

However, I seem to recall that Virginia was the state that last year wanted to send a single mom to jail for throwing a drink cup out of her car at another car. The actual charge was something like "launching a missile at a moving vehicle." Chatting online with friends about that incident I read Virginia being referred to as the "Nazi Driving State" and how long-haul truckers hate it because they are so anal about thier driving laws.