Click Here!

Beer power!

quamp

Story here

CANBERRA, Australia - Scientists and Australian beer maker Foster's are teaming up to generate clean energy from brewery waste water — by using sugar-consuming bacteria.

So if you want to help the environment, get drunk!

The fuel cell is essentially a battery in which bacteria consume water-soluble brewing waste such as sugar, starch and alcohol.

Whoo-hoo! Drunk microbes!

He expected the brewery cell would produce 2 kilowatts of power — enough to power a household — and the technology would eventually be applied in other breweries and wineries owned by Foster's. The cell should be operating at the brewery by September.

I'm sure everyone is ready to sign up for this...

Guest Yhitzak

After reading the article, I'm somewhat surprised that this type of thing hasn't happened before now. It's ingenius, really. I wonder if American brewers have thought of this, yet? I think I might go do a little research on this one. Nice topic!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Agaib

My mom is a microbiology PhD and I think she worked on similar stuff before really. Its a good idea, but some of the technical details still need work. I should ask her about it...