Click Here!

Why do some readers feel the need to discount others constructive criticism?

bookworm51485

I don't understand why some readers feel the need to do this. I'm big on trying to give authors constructive criticism. I don't review as often as I used to because I'm low on time, especially since I started grad school and then recently became an aunt under some pretty ridiculous circumstances, but when I do take the time to write out a review, it irritates me when people try to insult or discount what I say just because they don't agree

Most recently, I was reading a story where an author asked for a certain number of reviews before they're post the next chapter. I'm sure that many here have feelings about authors holding chapters hostage for reviews, so they understand how I feel. So I wrote a review telling the author that that was a bit of an ass hole-y thing to do and that she lose readers and respect for that. So she responded and apologize, she didn't realize that it would bother some of her readers. She posted a review to apologize for it, mentioning me by name. I will admit hate it when authors do this, I will admit. I'm not ashamed of what I say, I take full ownership of my bitchiness, but some readers will take it as an invitation to send you 'hate mail' and I don't feel like dealing with that crap flooding my inbox (depending on the popularity of the author). So I skimmed the reviews for that chapter, when I noticed my name, just to get a general idea of what people were thinking and if I should expect crap, and saw this review:

"I don't think you have a thing to be sorry for. You have given so much of yourself into this story for the enjoyment of the many readers following it. You have every right to want and to expect people to respond to what you write. I am sure as a writer it helps with the process of seeing how people respond to different parts of the story. To often, for many reasons, people do not take the time to stop and review. You have every right to offer an incentive to help encourage people to stop and take the time to express their views. Bookworm51485 should keep to only expressing what he/she feels and not to judge or attempt to express what other people might think or feel. I am sure they are able to let you know without the help of Bookworm51485.

I love this story and look forward to the next update whenever you decide to post it."

I know people want to encourage their favorite authors, make them feel good, but why do people feel the need to try to discount what other people say. It really irritates me when people do that. Like when I write to a person about them misspelling things and someone says "It's fine, I can still read it. Just ignore that person". Why are people so against constructive criticism.

That's a good question, really. As to review whoring, that's something we don't put up with either. It's actually against content guidelines and whatnot.

I think that often, people discount constructive criticism, because they may be afraid if someone *gasp* speaks out, and actually DARES to say that this or that author misspelled, or the grammar is off, or whatever; the author will be discouraged. To my way of thinking, that's just silly, but there you are.

When I'm not up to my ears in other stuff, and take the time to read, I leave a review. Depending upon what I saw while reading, is what the review will have IN it. If something is so awful that I can find no way to leave anything that isn't an outright flame, I won't review at all.

If these people are honestly trying to improve their writing, concrit will help them do it. Mollycoddlying will not.

I think part of the issue is that so many fics don't get finished that people are afraid that if someone says something that is less than complimentary that the author is going to get their nose out of joint then quit writing. It's a sad fact that many have done that in the past, bluntly saying that in an authors note, blaming a reviewer. It's even sadder that the author will take after people who say something less than stellar then blame said reviewer only to set off the other reviewers in a flame war. Authors are also known for blaming certain readers for lack of updates because they got their wittle feewings hurt by something they said in a review thus setting other reviewers of on them. All of this adds up to those that do review circling the wagons, hoping to get the author to ignore something that was said, praying like hell that they won't be one of the ones that just give up and abandon the story.

As a side note to this crap, I don't think authors and reviewers that engage in this kind of happiness realize that what they are actually doing is detrimental to not only themselves but other authors as well. This is one of the big issues that plague fanfic sites because people are too damned afraid to review for fear that someone is either a.) going to have a screaming fit on them (as I'm sure you know they do this far too often) or b.) that a lynch mob is going to form as the readers defend the author just incase they get offended by what was said and ponder quitting so they just don't bother. That hurts ALL authors. Same with review demands. That actually drives review counts down as people don't like being blackmailed into doing something. It's all something that makes you want to bang you head on the wall and kick people repeatedly.

Just my thoughts on it...

I can definitely see that. Some authors really are quite proficient at the emotional blackmail and I think they get a bit of a high off their readers jumping up to defend their 'honor' like that. I had one author actually point me out by name specifically to get her readers to start sending me 'hate mail'. And when I take the time to write out truly constructive criticism, that just pisses me off. It's feels like, why am I wasting my time? I'm busy as hell. I'm in grad school taking a full load of courses. My brother's fiance recently died after they had a baby and he couldn't afford to keep their apartment after that, so he was evicted and things have been really hard for the entire family, trying to keep him and the baby afloat. If I actually take the time to write you a review in the midst of all that crap, and I don't write those skimpy, "It was awesome. Update soon." reviews, then I want it to be appreciated, or at least not attacked.

What's funny about this case was the author didn't take offense to my review at all. She outright said that she didn't realize that it was something that was that bad and apologized, then thanked me for letting her know. So that after the fact review, attempting to discredit my initial statement had no real purpose. The author showed that her skin was plenty thick and she wasn't likely to just quit writing because her feelings were hurt. I think the reviewer was just really bothered because she felt that I was attempting to speak for everyone about something that just offended me. Given the number of sites at which 'review whoring' is against the rules, here included (I thought I'd remembered that being the case, but I wasn't sure) I don't think I am just speaking for myself *shrugs*

And I definitely agree with the sentiment that what some authors do to get reviews and in response to some reviews hurts other authors as well. I know that based on a lot of the nasty responses I've gotten in the past, I don't make nearly as much effort to review, unless I recognize the author as one who truly is interested in constructive criticism. Like I said, I don't have much free time, haven't for awhile, so I feel like if I review it better be worth it. And so I often just won't bother if I know that something I say might offend or if I see the author mentioning not wanting flames. For some reason, a lot of authors seem to be under the misconception that a flame is a review with negative constructive criticism. If I'm going to be accused of flaming someone, I want it to be for actually flaming them, not taking the time to write a review so the story I'm actually interested in seeing continue could be improved.

There is a WORLD of difference between concrit, even when it's harsh, and a flame. To me, a flame is name calling, stirring the pot with others to make THEM flame a certain person (flame baiting), and the like.

I've often left what many would consider harsh concrit, because by nature I'm very blunt. So, when I see things and point them out, I'm not going to pussyfoot around and circle talk to get my point across as to the problem I'm seeing. I'll just say what it is and move on.

Honestly, in some for instances it's VERY hard to leave something that's not going to be taken badly, depending upon the person you leave it FOR. People can get very defensive over the silliest things, really.

So she responded and apologize, she didn't realize that it would bother some of her readers. She posted a review to apologize for it, mentioning me by name. I will admit hate it when authors do this, I will admit. I'm not ashamed of what I say, I take full ownership of my bitchiness

Well, at least you brought your mesage to the author. That's the main thing. Readers are partial : ) and subjective - that's why they agree with such authors' tactics .

And what can you have against mentioning your nickname if you aren't ashamed of your opinion? It just proves she will remember you next time she gets the same idea :)

I'm glad there are still some readers like you because I always review what i liked, yes, but i hate such "blackmailing", too. You can always find some.. better way to get feedback .

There is a WORLD of difference between concrit, even when it's harsh, and a flame. To me, a flame is name calling, stirring the pot with others to make THEM flame a certain person (flame baiting), and the like.

I've often left what many would consider harsh concrit, because by nature I'm very blunt. So, when I see things and point them out, I'm not going to pussyfoot around and circle talk to get my point across as to the problem I'm seeing. I'll just say what it is and move on.

Honestly, in some for instances it's VERY hard to leave something that's not going to be taken badly, depending upon the person you leave it FOR. People can get very defensive over the silliest things, really.

It's sad that so many people don't know the difference anymore. I'm pretty blunt as well, I don't really see the point in trying to sugar coat it either. If a person's going to get offended, they're going to get offended whether you state your criticism nicely or not. I have a hard time sugar coating what I write, so I figure why expend the effort if they're going to get pissed either way :P I do agree, some people really can be overly sensitive. You mention that they need a beta and respond by cussing you out, stating that English isn't their first language. You tell people that they need to put more effort into correctly spelling character names and locations within the fandom they're writing and they get an attitude, telling you that it doesn't matter because everybody knew what they were talking about anyways. You tell an author that rape is not a good plot device and that having a person fall in love with their rapist is insulting to rape victims and they get pissed and tell you that if you'd REALLY read between the lines, you'd have seen that the victim really did want it, they just didn't know how to say (which if, of course, a widely accepted defense for rape :rolleyes:). And then, of course, there are the complete and total psychos that you get every so often. Like that one author on ff.net who has like 20 different accounts and refuses to admit that she's the same person, despite the fact that she is essentially writing the same story over and over again, with very slight variations.

Well, at least you brought your mesage to the author. That's the main thing. Readers are partial : ) and subjective - that's why they agree with such authors' tactics .

And what can you have against mentioning your nickname if you aren't ashamed of your opinion? It just proves she will remember you next time she gets the same idea :)

I'm glad there are still some readers like you because I always review what i liked, yes, but i hate such "blackmailing", too. You can always find some.. better way to get feedback .

My main issue against them mentioning my name is that some readers take it upon themselves to defend their favorite authors by sending me hate mail. I can just delete it and it doesn't hurt my feelings, but when they get overzealous, it can be really annoying. I had one case that was pretty bad where 5-10 reviewers of one author I'd reviewed sent me multiple messages apiece to tell me what a b*tch I was. Fine, okay, I know I can be a b*tch, but can you please not fill up my inbox telling me something I already know.

I did give her some ideas on other ways to get reviews, things I've seen other authors do that tends to work well for them: polls, extra incentives (if you have to time to write short side stories or omakes or something along those lines), trivia and even one author who kept a running log of points of her reviewers (she was writing a HP fanfiction, and each reviewer would self-identify themselves as members of a certain house, so poitns would be attribute to that house) to see who would win at the end of her story. That last one worked pretty well, last I remember she had over a thousand reviews, if not more, on her story.