Click Here!

would you let someone adopt your story

To let someone adopt or not  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should i let someone adopt my nanny story

• Go ahead and congrats
    • No i dont think you should

Okay so I finished my nanny fic and posted it here and FF.net. Someone contacted me on FF.net asking if they could adopt it. They would give me full credit on every new chapter. But my problem is that i posted it here too. I feel flattered that someone wants to write more for it, but would that mean i would have to take it down here? Could use some advice :D I havent given the person my answer yet...

If you opted to give this person permission to add to the story, and they decided to add it here as well, we do have a procedure for that. I get an email from you, the original author stating permission is given to take it over, as well as an email from the author ADOPTING the story, so I know what profile it needs to go to. Because the next step is to move the story to the author's profile, leaving the original author in place as author on the chapters already existing. But, by moving the story to the new author's profile, they can add to it, edit, and etc from that point forward.

if the person does decide to post it here (i will email him and ask him if he has an account here before i agree) then i will tell him what we need to do :D thanks DG :D

Guest Robin_Mask

Personally, I would never let someone adopt one of my stories. I would never give up on one of my stories, but if I did... I don't know. I do not think they would be able to capture or convey my vision properly. I do not understand fic adoption at all - surely you can go write your own?

I completely agree, but I think sometimes it can serve a purpose.

When I first began writing I was rather young, I didn't use plans or think ahead and I often ran out of steam, a lot of my works ended up discontinued. I deleted a lot of the subpar stories (these were on ff.n), but one or two I left up because they had some potential, or something that I just liked, and so I put them up for adoption. I couldn't bear deleting them, but I knew I couldn't finish them, so why not let someone else finish them that wants to and could please the readers who expected/wanted an ending?

Of course, I would never adopt out any of my new works (anything on this site), because they are all completed or will be completed, and because of that I see no reason at all to give them away. So yeah, I guess my take on story adoption is it's great for discontinued works, but otherwise I don't see a use . . . as long as the previous author gets credit for the old chapters, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree, but I think sometimes it can serve a purpose.

When I first began writing I was rather young, I didn't use plans or think ahead and I often ran out of steam, a lot of my works ended up discontinued. I deleted a lot of the subpar stories (these were on ff.n), but one or two I left up because they had some potential, or something that I just liked, and so I put them up for adoption. I couldn't bear deleting them, but I knew I couldn't finish them, so why not let someone else finish them that wants to and could please the readers who expected/wanted an ending?

Of course, I would never adopt out any of my new works (anything on this site), because they are all completed or will be completed, and because of that I see no reason at all to give them away. So yeah, I guess my take on story adoption is it's great for discontinued works, but otherwise I don't see a use . . . as long as the previous author gets credit for the old chapters, of course.

I'm with you on this, Robin. I would never adopt out a completed story. But my many stories that I've tossed in my fiction graveyard after 2-18 chapters, I'd definitely let someone write to, given they agree to give me full credit for the idea/characters/finishedchapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i do believe the person gave up on me. He hasn't contacted me in weeks. I think he just gave up! Lol I might message him to see if he is still interested. I am starting to get interested in how he would add more chapters to it..