Click Here!

Review Replies – AFF Prompt/Ending – They Told Me

Anesor

BronxWench said

Gods, I love this one. It's so very powerful, with those few stark sentences summing up a world of hurt and pain... Just magnificent!

And welcome to the prompts...they are addicting...

Epic heroes are one thing, but they should be more worn by the unending combat and emotional strain.

Addicting can be cool, but I doubt this'll be weekly for me. Thanks for the review!

JayDee said in a review:

Wow - it makes me think about all the people who try and take on the quests and fail. I guess generally the real person has to have a huge helping of luck and fated destiny to complete all the challenges, and most who try would end up like that, bleeding out in a cave. Brilliantly done.

Thank you. :)

I may have to tweak it though, as the heroine's quest succeeded, the big bad was stopped. But she was left broken and emotionally defeated, even if luck and destiny did defeat the threat. The character, if a real person, might not be able to endure the traumas of surviving. Games assume there is nothing like PTSD and despair, and that the leads can continue on forever like automatons.

Fairy Slayer commented:

It sounds like the heroine/hero has only been getting the short end of the stick for so long, especially when the hope of friendship ended in betrayal, mixed messages. Being forced to fight "him" for his wrongs and then being saved by him, a last act of true kindness, really stings. He did care after all, but now it's too late and there's no one reliable left. (Since "she" is incompetent and probably worse.)

The fourteen statements build up on the previous ones beautifully, slowly drawing me in to the protagonist's pain. Then the final paragraph makes sense, even if one more great loss seems senseless.

Actually, all but one of the pronouns refer to different people in the story. Everyone tells us what we have to do in the games, that we're often being very much railroaded. I'd better tweak that. (good thing it's short enough I'll still be well under the limit:) ) Thanks for the review!

Shadow Knight intoned:

Wow. This was absolutely heart-wrenching. And the worst part is that you're absolutely right, this is really the way it goes. I really liked the ending, how he removes his healing ring so that he can finally find peace. Nobody thinks about how awful it is to be a puppet who has little choice but to do as he's told. And especially after such a tragic, disappointing finale in the game, you can't seriously expect them to actually want to keep on living.<br />

<br />

An amazing reading, profound and touching.

Thank you very much. I know losing someone is rough, but the lead loses everything, especially in the finale and bridge to MOTB. How could the devs honestly think a real person would handle that? It's not a continuation, like life, but a grinding annihilation of the lead. Thanks again!

Body of review from Apollo follows:

I know nothing of the game, but I like that I didn't need to! Nicely written!

This story being NWN2 almost reaches incidental to being the plot events listed, only the reviled 'rocks fall, everyone dies' adds the final straw. But if you add all the orders and tragedies in other games, it might make the same outcome sometimes. I would like if more games dealt with the psychological costs of mayhem.

I am very glad it works for those who don't know it! Thanks for the review! :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.