Click Here!

Writer's Block

angrymuffin

Writer's block sucks so much. I'm trying to write more on a story that now has 2 chapters to it, 3 if you count the prologue. I've really enjoyed writing as much as I have, and I'd love to continue on to chapter 3, but I can't seem to think of any more to write for it. I've tried listening to music, eating candy, and reading a book. Nothing's helped though.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me?

I finally got to try your suggestions! The results are as followed:

I chose The Golden Compass, and I wasn't completely sure what you meant by having it on in the background, but I just minimized it and tried to write. It worked for a few minutes...but I got distracted with what I was hearing and ended up just watching the whole thing. XD Maybe I'll try a different movie sometime.

As for sitting on my bed with my laptop and letting my mind go blank. Just tried it now. It works better than listening to a movie. But again, I only wrote a couple of sentences...and poof...brain dies.

But at least they didn't fail completely. Your advice did help. ^^

Haha! Well I'm glad they did help, even if only in little sporadic moments, they are helpful remedies at times.

Yeah I get distracted by movies all the time, if you have a tv show that you like say like Simpsons or Family Guy, Merlin or True Blood try them. I once listened to an entire season of Family Guy while writing, I got distracted but not as much as when I put a movie on :)

I'm glad the second one worked, it really does help me when I'm in a pickle, even if non-fiction stuff.

DJ

As I'm not a writer, all I can tell you is what I do when I hit an artist's block. Which sucks just as bad, ya know.

For me, the trigger to clear things, and make it so that I can once again be creative, is music. Even if all I do, is some practice sketching, like shapes and shading; the music in the background helps. Depending on what I'm going for in a drawing or painting, is what kind of music I'll choose for while I work.

Ooooh dear, I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to write while listening to Family Guy or The Simpsons. It'd be worse than the movie. Although, I do have the first 3 Seasons of House on DVD. I could try that, the more modern feel might do something for my brain, whereas Golden Compass was fantasy.

Or maybe what I could do...is take a break from that particular story altogether and try another one.

Demon, thanks for your advice as well. I do find music helps a lot at times, and I even have a playlist for some of my stories, but sometimes I'm just not really in a music-listening mood. It happens from time to time, I get in a funk and the desire to anything creative just...leaves me.

I role play with a friend as well, and that can sometimes help, but she's in University and swamped with loads of essays and reading at the moment. I'll only role play with her if she brings it up--it's one thing for me to purposely bug her when she's busy, but a completely other thing for her to ask me on her own...whether she's busy or not.

I'm going to try listening to some music now though, and see where that takes me. Again, thank you both for your help. ^^

• 5 weeks later...

It's a fickle thing. For weeks I've been doing the challenges but haven't been able to put even a second into my own current project. Then today I saw something a friend had drawn and, *BANG*! in a couple of hours I pounded out a short story based on it and sent it out to him. (It needs cleanup before I post it here, but he was very happy to get that "addendum to my review.)

Keep looking around and tap out a story or even just jot a few pages of story notes whenever something strikes your fancy. Sure, it doesn't help your project directly, but using that energy constructively is like lube for your brain. :)

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.