Click Here!

Help A Fellow Writer Out?

NightScribe

Here's my dilemma (this is gonna be lengthy, but bear with me).

I'm working on a new fic and planned it on being 6 chapters. Nice, neat, short and tidy. Well, last night, I'm typing away, and you know how the flow hits you, you just write. Well, my prankster, pain in the ass muse (who's been MIA for a while) shows up. (I think it has something to do with the moon phases). Anyway, when I read over what I did, I saw that I had added a little something that I initially hadn't intended. And I liked it; the angle adds more meat to the story.

After thinking it over for a while, I decided to keep it. But then, I thought, if I do that, the ending isn't right. So I went to bed, with thoughts swirling in my head for previously unplanned stuff. Today, I tackled the problem again. I definitely want to keep that unexpected angle in and I had a flurry of inspiration. For lack of better words, it's turned into a three act story. First part, solid. Last part, looks good (with a pretty damn good ending, but I thought I already had a killer when it was just 6 chapters). The middle part would need some serious pondering.

I considered doing a multi-part fic, but frankly, been there, done that. I don't know how readers feel about those anyway, and I don't want to get tagged as a sequel queen or something. (Oh, Christ, her again? Another saga?) I also finished a really long fic a couple months ago, and I actually enjoy writing lengthier stuff. Sooooo...

Do I...just write the story as I originally intended and let the chips fall where they may? Do I write a sequel (which honestly doesn't feel right for this) or, do I go for broke with one long fic? I should probably also add that it's intended to be an homage of sorts, and going for long will serve that well. Of course, if I go with the latter, I can see another 6 to 8 months chained to the old computer.

Anybody experienced this kind of thing? What did you decide? Share the trauma with me! unsure.gif

Guest achtungnight

I have experienced this very thing many times. It's driven me just as nuts. My best advice- Let the characters guide you through the plot. It's their story as much as yours and they usually know how things have gone so far and where they're supposed to go next. Do not be alarmed when they want to take things in a direction you didn't expect. A large part of the reason I dumped my Erika series was that she and other characters were making me bonkers with the business they wanted to get into. Sometimes boundaries aren't clearly defined. rolleyes.gif Think deeply about the story as much as you can, and negotiate the apparent best paths for its action. Whatever you do, keep writing until you sense you're at the end (and believe me, that can take a long time) or you feel it's best to stop and dump everything (the latter depends on the story you're doing and can be hard to decide). I agree with you a long fic is probably best- true fans and good readers will go through all the way to the end without skipping over stuff (one hopes). Don't be discouraged by the story's length. It largely revolves around its plot and characters- many times I've felt like they're the ones telling the tale and I'm just their instrument. Do what I have done- work with them as long and as much as you can and must to get the story out. You've already mentioned many reasons for putting up with the time it would take to produce an immense product. Good luck, and if you need a beta reader for the finished result I volunteer (shoot me a PM).

Guest lightgoddess

Let the story write itself. Our characters know where they are going even if we do not. If it is meant to be an epic, I say let it be one. If it is not, then your characters will let you know. You don't really want to mess up the flow. It might piss your muse off.

Speaking of Muses, do you think your muse and mine ran off to the same place? Maybe Cabo?

I'm always amazed at where my stories take me. I've come to believe that, subconsciously, everything is already there, but things pop up time and again (why I'm not used to this by now is beyond me). When I started writing, way back when, I wrote chapters out of order. And I'd find all kinds of surprises. Like stuff in chapter 16 was foreshadowed in chapter 3. And chapter 16 was only a vague idea, at best, when I wrote the third, and a key character involved didn't even exist at the beginning (consciously, at least). Or some random thing, like the color of someone's eyes, ending up being a reflection of their personality.

Speaking of Muses, do you think your muse and mine ran off to the same place? Maybe Cabo?

So that's where it went! Son-of-a-bitch! tongue.gif Yeah, they're probably sitting poolside, sucking up Margaritas, taking in the hot bodies, and laughing their asses off!

Guest lightgoddess
So that's where it went! Son-of-a-bitch! tongue.gif Yeah, they're probably sitting poolside, sucking up Margaritas, taking in the hot bodies, and laughing their asses off!

Damn fickle bitch muses just running off and having all of the fun without us!! laugh.gif

Guest Enchanted Faery

I'm still trying to figure out where my muse went! She's been missing for a year! It's very frustrating! Anyone have a muse I could borrow? heh heh happy.gif

PS. there is nothing wrong with sequals! I like them! biggrin.gif

Guest achtungnight
I'm still trying to figure out where my muse went! She's been missing for a year! It's very frustrating! Anyone have a muse I could borrow? heh heh happy.gif

You can borrow mine. Just be warned- she can be very cranky and difficult to get along with- even when one complies with her demands.

As a reader I really enjoy long/multi-chapter fics.

I'm not a fan of the one-shots, I like my interest to be captured and held for a long time. I want to be so totally sucked into the fic that I lose a few hours in the real world. biggrin.gif

As a writer, I try to write the long/multi-chapter fics and... well, so far have managed a 4 chapter fic. Admittedly it was a prequel for a fic that I'm still writing as my muse abandoned me about 18 months ago.

He's kinda slinking back looking rather sheepish and ashamed of himself, but doesn't appear to be ready for work just yet. wink.gif

Hmm... point of this post? Oh, yeah, IMHO I would go for nice and lengthy, with possible sequel if that's the way it works out. Don't push it, just see how it flows.

If that makes any sense... I'd be very surprised *sheepish grin* Too many nights of little to no sleep is starting to effect me I think.

Sooooo...

Do I...just write the story as I originally intended and let the chips fall where they may? Do I write a sequel (which honestly doesn't feel right for this) or, do I go for broke with one long fic? I should probably also add that it's intended to be an homage of sorts, and going for long will serve that well. Of course, if I go with the latter, I can see another 6 to 8 months chained to the old computer.

Anybody experienced this kind of thing? What did you decide? Share the trauma with me!  unsure.gif

Chuck it. Save yourself the agony.

Keep the part you like and save it for a rainy day.

Stick with the plan. The same thing is happening to me.

What it all boils down to in my sorry story is just how much do I want my readers to know? If they need to know something, then I'll tell them. I don't want to gush information everywhere. I know it's my nature to do so, but I must be strong!

Anyway, that's my advice. I don't know if its good or bad or if it will make things better or worse. I just get tired of wasting time on these ideas that pop up from left field and engross you away from the main theme.

(reads previous post)

Hm. Well, that was a waste of time...darn it all anyway. sad.gif

One of these days, I'll not make an idiot of myself.

(reads previous post)

Hm. Well, that was a waste of time...darn it all anyway.

One of these days, I'll not make an idiot of myself.

You didn't make an idiot of yourself, I appreciate the candid thought. A part of me sometimes considers sticking with the original plan, because I've got that all figured out and it would be nice to post something again. I'm so terrified of being forgotten if I don't post something on a regular basis! *snicker*. Not. I'm also curious to see if I can start another trend in a different sub-category! (I'm serious, I checked. I compared old stories to newer in the archive under my usual sub-category and have found an interesting trend in fics since posting my ridiculous multi-part magnum opus. It tickles the crap out of me! biggrin.gif And I'll never post in it again; the sub-cat is way too glutted now.)

But, seriously, StoryJunkie, you're right about "saving yourself the agony." I was really starting to get into a groove with actually writing, but now it's kind of derailed as I untangle some plot knots. The first and third part are clear, but the second part, in my mind, is cloudy. I can't just go from point A to point C. But point B is being devilish. I know it's all in there, but it's going to take a lot of scribbling to put things in the right order. Damn my overactive imagination!

That's exactly what is happening to me now with a story that seemed less nebulous at the beginning than it does now, and all because I made this vow at the beginning to follow a certain path regarding style. It's like a story is a correographed dance with its rhythms, twists and turns and back filled color. It has its ups and downs, and not just in plot, but in the way the story is presented. I mean...its like a child that you have to discipline after you reach a certain point. Or a river that has this bubbling spring to begin with, then travels over all kinds of terrain and builds up this power and volume and meaning, and falls over the edge and makes its way somewhere...hopefully the ocean, which is....I don't know. The analogy kind of got away from me. Anyway, there you have it. We're in the same boat I think. What ever you decide to do, GO Girl!

I would agree just to let the characters and story flow where it may, don't feel so heavily impacted by what the readers will like- although comforting, I think ultimately it needs to satisfy you.

Just let things run into eachother, it was ironically how a lot of my story of The Ravager ended up happening.

Wanna-be Wisdom (tongue.gif) : In a lot if not all creative actions, you should never hold on so strongly to an originally intended idea simply because it will almost if not always never come out the way you originally laid it all out.

...... or something like that hehe

Guest Pink Lace

OMG it happened again, I clicked on a smiley and it deleted my whole reply!!!!

Bah, well here it is again:

I must disagree with the majority here. If you are unsure/don't want to do a long fic or sequel, then don't do it. Inspiration is fine but control is the real key. Only start a long fic if you are able to commit yourself fully to finishing it.

I would never consider posting a fic which has no ending, ever. I posted my multi-chapter work a few days at a time but I had the whole thing on my computer already written. It doesn't necessarily have to be all pre-written before posting but the writer should KNOW what the ending is or at least be committed to writing until he reaches one.

Of course, this is my personal philosophy and I don't intend to force it on anyone else. I do have my own strong opinion on things though... which is that writers should never have never-to-be-finished work posted. Those should be deleted. Would a fanartist post 3/30th of a sketch? Nope. Neither should writers.

I must disagree with the majority here. If you are unsure/don't want to do a long fic or sequel, then don't do it. Inspiration is fine but control is the real key. Only start a long fic if you are able to commit yourself fully to finishing it.

I thank everyone for their input, and can say, with no qualms, I've made my definitive decision. The story will be a longer one, with a more intricate, complex plot, which I love doing (and a better ending, as far as I'm concerned). So far, so good, but I'm purposely taking my time with it.

I would never consider posting a fic which has no ending, ever. I posted my multi-chapter work a few days at a time but I had the whole thing on my computer already written. It doesn't necessarily have to be all pre-written before posting but the writer should KNOW what the ending is or at least be committed to writing until he reaches one.

Of course, this is my personal philosophy and I don't intend to force it on anyone else. I do have my own strong opinion on things though... which is that writers should never have never-to-be-finished work posted. Those should be deleted. Would a fanartist post 3/30th of a sketch? Nope. Neither should writers.

Pink Lace, I get where you're coming from. I've seen stories that just kind of hang out there, incomplete. I have no problems finishing a long fic, I'd never start one and leave it hanging. In the past, I've had a couple of shorter stories that weren't quite gelling and I deleted those, knowing I wouldn't see them through. At the very least, it frees up server space for other people's work.

Now, the only thing is that I don't know if I'll ever write the finale to my "epic". As I said, the sub-cat is over saturated now, but mostly it's due to reader apathy. I know it kind of sucks, like if J.K. Rowling decided, "eh, I'm not gonna write book seven." But I'm not J.K. and I don't have a ton of rabid fans screaming for more. I have no one screaming for anything. I've toyed with the notion of posting a synopsis of what I would have written, or just the last chapter that pretty much answers everything, but that sucks, too. Time to move on, I say. Unfair? Perhaps. Better for my sanity? Absolutely.

And who knows? Maybe with this new fic, I'll grab people who never read any of my stuff before. Maybe they'll go back and read the old fics and give some input and I'll change my mind. It's a possibility; a long-shot, but possible.