Click Here!

Oh, God! Help!

Guest lightgoddess

Guest lightgoddess

First, I am in deep shit if I can not find a way to recover this stuff. I have a floppy disk that I have been using for well over a year now for one of my stories. It also has one on it that is a fairly recent addition, but I've still been writing on it for about 8 months. blink.gif This morning I got up to begin writing on the older of the two stories and the disk would not open! blink.gifsad.gif Now, I tried opening it first in Word 2007 beta on my desktop, where I opened it the last time with no problem. Now, I am getting an error message telling me that my disk is not formatted or is formatted for a MAC. Ok, so no big deal, just use Office auto recovery, right? Wrong! I can't get the fucking shit to find my stories anywhere but on the floppy! So, I moved from my desktop to my laptop, which has Word 2003. It still will not open. I get the same type error. So, I go into DOS and try to run a directory (I do this on both computers) and on the desktop, I get the formatting error again, while on my laptop, I get a "data error (cyclic redundancy error)".

Having said that, the disk has not been beat around, thrown, dropped, or otherwise damaged. It has been sitting on my computer desk with a newer floppy containing an original story I am working on.

Please, please, please someone with more computer knowledge than me tell me how to extract these files or if there is a way. Is there hope or do I need to leave my readers a message with these stories telling them that I'm having technical difficulties and am having to rewrite the newest parts?? sad.gif

Guest lightgoddess

I have a couple of small speakers at the back corners of my desk, but the floppies were not near them. Well, the other floppy is still working and it was actually on top of the one that's stopped working. And, I don't have any other magnets near the desk.

As far as picking up the wrong floppy, that was my first thought, because I have dozens of black floppies (like the one that quit working) with very little to nothing written on them, but this one has '429' written on it in pencil, so unless it's held up to the light it looks just like the rest of them. *wails hopelessly* I've lost all of that hard work!! sad.gif

Got me beat then. I haven't used floppies very much at all in the last six or seven years, because it's been easier to back things up either online (ie on a remote computer) or with bigger files, burned to CD.

G'luck.