Click Here!

Nightscribe, You're Rubbing Off On Me...

Guest lightgoddess

Ah, don't you just hate it when you find something and it blows beyond belief? I haven't been reading much of anything lately, my brain needed the rest. I did find one Hardy Boys incest fic that wasn't badly written overall, but there were a few things that bugged me. Like two guys getting it on in the shower, for the very first time, and no prep was involved. My mind screamed "LUBE, DAMNIT, LUBE!!" Not to mention the bizarrely cavalier attitude of the two brothers humping each other, in front of other people, like it was nothing, perfectly normal. Without the use of LUBE!!! Those two things kind of ruined it for me. I'd generously give it 4 out of 5.

biggrin.gif

Guest lightgoddess

As an avid slash reader and author, I have to agree with you about the lube. Nothing irritates me more than to be reading along and all of a sudden the two guys are screwing. I swear there have been fics where I have gone back up several paragraphs thinking I'd missed the lube and prep scene. Yeah, I didn't. blink.gif I think that's a huge faux pas in slash fiction when you are purposely writing hot erotic scenes.

I only read the reviews you linked when I made my post. I had to go back and read the story behind them. And uh...WTF was that? Either English was not that person's first language or they were drunk/high when they wrote it. Or maybe they're just a moron. Typing while intoxicated should be a crime. Typing while under the influence of idiocy should also be a crime. Then again, what would we do to amuse ourselves? As Tim Curry said in Rocky Horror "Everybody loves a car wreck."

Now that I've posted the last chapter to my latest story, I'll have the time to torture myself with bad fics. Unless, of course, I do something constructive, like start my dark Lucius fic. I'm sooooo looking forward to writing that one! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Every time you write an M/M sex scene without prep that is CONSENTUAL a pretty little gay boy gets his ass ripped open.

I have found the Holy Grail! LMAO

First link is for the reviews; read those first. Then read the actual story.

Reviews

Lots of Lemon Story

Has to be seen to be believed! laugh.gif

Okay, lightgoddess, this one is for you. I found this several months ago and purposely went back to find it. This is the most bizarre thing I've seen. The reviews are scathing.

Horrible CSI Story

Guest Melody Fate

Reviews

Lots of Lemon Story

Has to be seen to be believed!  laugh.gif

Okay, lightgoddess, this one is for you. I found this several months ago and purposely went back to find it. This is the most bizarre thing I've seen. The reviews are scathing.

Horrible CSI Story

There have been other stories like this, they annoy me because I really feel everyone who does this thinks they're pulling this tremendous joke that no one has ever though of before.

Problem is that too many people have.

EDIT: Like this story here

And these are the reviews

Guest lightgoddess

Reviews

Lots of Lemon Story

Has to be seen to be believed! laugh.gif

Horrible CSI Story

Ok, so I just wasted a few minutes of my life reading those stories. blink.gif I also left reviews. ph34r.gifph34r.gif Those were absolultely the worst things ever!

Guest Melody Fate
The sad part is that one liner story has more reviews than mine. sad.gif

People find it easier to blast off when they're pissed than they do to give a decent review if they're happy.

I don't think it helps that there are some fanfiction writers who get pissy about one line "I liked this" reviews. Sometimes, if I find a story is good, that's all I really want to say about it. I used to leave those type of reviews, figuring at least the author would know I read it and I didn't hate it. Now I hesitate, because I've heard too much bitching about "All I get is these one line reviews, why do people bother?"

(This is why I wish writers would tell people honestly, what they want in a review. I hate playing guessing games, "Can they take some critism? How will they handle a one line 'I like it'?")

I digress.

The point being that while people have trouble finding the words to explain why they like something, they rarely have trouble finding the right words to tell someone how much they hate something.

I never look at the number of reviews to tell me if a story is good. If I see a story has a lot of reviews, I might look at the reviews themselves before I check out the story, because it might be a case of everyone yelling at the idiot.

I know on FF.net, people will talk about the number of reviews they've gotten like it's a badge of honor. "My story has 125 reviews, I'm better than you!" Big deal. My story has a fair number of reviews, but first off, a lot of them are the same people as they read each chapter (don't get me wrong, I adore that I have avid fans of my story, who take the time to tell me what they think of each chapter.) but just because I have 300 reviews, doesn't mean 300 different people read the story and commented.

Sometimes I find too many gushing reviews a turnoff. I've seen too many horrible MarySue stories with all these, "Oooo best thing I evah read!" You can wrap a dog turd in pretty gold paper, but it's still a dog turd.

Guest lightgoddess

Personally, Melody, I'm just a review whore. lol I don't care if a reviewer says they like it in three words, or 300. I have one particular reviewer, momoko who always writes, "good story,bye" and that's it. The one time she left a review saying more, I almost fell out of my chair and commented on it. I haven;t gotten another saying any more than 'good story,bye' since. lol

Pink lace, don't worry about the number of reviews you get. It's the number of hits. If you have a story with 10 reviews and 10,000 hits, you've probably got a good story. There are lots of times that I read a short chapter over quickly and don't get a chance to review, but I always try to when I go back to the story.

What I hate most are reviews telling me that they can't wait until the next chapter when clearly the story is finished. dry.gif