Click Here!

Screenplay format: "*sigh* Fine" or "Yuck!"

FairySlayer

I would like to post an "Invader Zim" story that, unfortunately, is in "screenplay format" (a streamlined form of script format). It was started that way by someone else and he soon asked me to help; then the story was turned over to me completely. (It's at least 80% my work, but I'll credit him too.)

If having it in that format will instantly turn people away from reading it then I'd rather add rewriting it to my list of projects, but that would not happen for quite a while. However, if most people don't mind that format then I'd just post it as-is.

Please let me know what you think.

Here is an example of the format:

CUT TO: Back at Dib & Gaz's house, Dib is still sitting on the floor cuddling Gaz but he's now looking off into space, somewhat worried. Gaz glances up at his face, jutting out her lower lip to blow some of her messed up hair away from her eyes; then she gazes longingly at the Game Slave 2 plugged into the television. Inhaling sharply through her nose, her eyes cross in aggravation. Dib stops his absentminded strokes and looks down at her pretty eyes, getting her attention. Suddenly fearful, he slides his little sister off of his lap and slides back on his butt while pulling up his pants. Gaz's curiosity is piqued and she slides her legs around and stands on her knees, facing him with a questioning expression.

DIB (afraid): I can't believe it. I'm such a pervert! What did I just do to you, Gaz!

GAZ: Not much, actually. (grumbling) Unless boring me counts.

DIB (about to cry): Oh, man! I'm nothing but a lousy pedophile!

GAZ (flatly): Yeah. But with a little practice you'll be a fantastic pedophile.

Actually, now that I look at it again it's a bit fast & loose even for "screenplay format." Still, I'd like to know how tolerable non-prose formats are.

As a reader (and not a writer), I prefer prose. However, if the subject lends itself better to a script/screenplay, I'm fine with it. Just please do the courtesy of staying with one format. This is annoying when one finds it.

If you prefer writing in the present tense, the script format does serve better. I've found very few scripts/screenplays that are well-written enough to capture my attention, but I've found present-tense prose to be somewhat distracting. It just takes a moment to acclimate; once that's done - as long as the writer is consistent - I can read either format.