Click Here!

His Dark Materials

englishwitch

I have read the books. i think they are fantastic. i have recently learned they are going to be making a movie of them. The first one entitiled "the Golden Compass" is due to begin filiming in November, do you really think they can sucessfully transfer all of thet magic and wonder to the big screen? just look at the first few Harry potter movies, their just getting their act together and the series is almost over.

I find it awful when a movie studio try and change a book to a movie and do it awfully.

His Dark Materials is a long trilogy, the worlds are so diverse and full of so many things i'm not sure it will be done to a quality that will do the books justice.

Guest lightgoddess

I simply love this series! I hope that if they are turned into a movie, they won't leave major things out like they have in HP. I want to see Iorek and Pan, watch Ms. Coulter's golden monkey in all of its evilness. I'm rather excited!

Finally we discuss HDM!

Nicole Kidman's playing Mrs Coulter... now that's fanfic material.

But, more than others, I would really love to see the daemon concept get visualized.

The daemon concept is interesting... In HDM, most people's daemons are small or medium-sized creatures, the largest one IIRC must be Stelmaria the snow leopard, Lord Asriel's daemon. I wonder if daemons can take the form of larger animals. Say, an elephant? Or unwieldy animals. It's hinted that there are people with aquatic daemons which make them unable to be away from water.

Lastly, do we have a HDM section at aff? Or, has there been any HDM fanfics at aff?

I hear Daniel Craig is going to play Lord Asriel. if thats true then he's going to have a hectic filming scedule. Daniel Craig is better known as the new James Bond and is sighned to play at least two more bond films. two more bond films and then this trilogy; i'm not sure it can be done.

I can sense a large amount of skepticism from englishwitch.

From what I've gathered, the HDM movie rights was bought by New Line Cinema. And this is the company that gave us the LotR movies, so I think HDM is in good hands.

Of course, it would get more challenging as the story goes, especially in the Amber Spyglass...

Btw do you know anything about the actress who gets Lyra? What does she look like?

i don't want to be skeptical, but i have just seen too many terrible book to film transitions. if done properly i can see this film being as big a sucess as lorrd of the rings. but if it doens't have the budget, or the right amount of time spent on the script, then it'll just be another flop in a long line of terrible films.

• 3 weeks later...

The books deals with other worlds, people with creatures who's names are pronouced demons, angels, death, witches, ghosts and sentient beings that are not human. i'd be very surprised it it didn't get any religious backlash.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well most people ignore the religious nutjobs and fanatics, when a catholic school in my country try to ban Harry Potter the media got involved and the catholic school was forced to overturn the decision because the parents were what got the media involved in the first place.

There was also the same sort of story out of the UK where the teachers were actually confiscating the books. The parents of the children actually had their kids transfered to another school, they got such hugely bad reviews over that incident and the principal lost his job over it

Now i think there is some rather large room for the script-writers to mess things up badly but hopefully they only cut out the right parts of the book like the script-writers did for Lord of the Rings they did a really great job of trying to put in as much as possible.

I think that any religious backlash won't have as much as what was portrayed in the Da Vinci Code which of course can be seen as clear as day an attack on the Catholic Church

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.