Click Here!

Maybe I'm Just Bitching...

Firebrand

Guest DarkAvenger
Do reviewers only review actually fanfiction, in the movie, books or games section? Or am I just seeing an anomaly and being bitchy about it?

Nope, it's true... and frankly, it sucks. >_<

Its sort of like deviantART. Only people with either a whole buncha' friends or a whole lot of [nude photography, tons of yaoi fanart, etc.] ever get many pageviews and comments- I am guessing in the case of adultfanfiction, you have to have pointless smut with anime/game/book characters.

Sad because frankly I hate fanfiction.

I also hate random smut.

But I suppose I don't need to masturbate that badly. tongue.gif

Guest ShinigamiShimai

The questions comes to mind. Do you post your stories to get reviews or because you enjoy telling a story. I know I felt down when one of my stories was getting reviews on another site and the moment I completed the story the reviews stoppped dead. So it was only 7 reveiws for me that was alot, because most people would rather email me directly it would seem. However my first erotica was something different. Suddenly people were coming out of the wood work to tell me how much they wanted me to write more lesbian erotica. Made me really think. I mean I posted that erotica here the other night and it already has 767 hits and 1 review and yet my others only got 3 - 13. Maybe it is as someone else mentioned. I could not choose what catagory to place my stories. To me they are psychological lesbian trillers and Victoria Horror/dark comedy. There just does not seem to be catagories for those kinds of stories. My wife asked why I bother to post my stories and I remembered I do it because I love to write and wish to find more people who may enjoy my stories. I may write more erotica if I feel the desire to do so, and knowing me I will, but even if I don't get anymore reviews I'll keep writing my stories until I don't feel like writing anymore, which is unlikely.

Well, Jaa

Kat

The questions comes to mind. Do you post your stories to get reviews or because you enjoy telling a story.

I may write more erotica if I feel the desire to do so, and knowing me I will, but even if I don't get anymore reviews I'll keep writing my stories until I don't feel like writing anymore, which is unlikely.

Good point, I also don't post my writing (or art for that matter) to get reviews/comments and attention, I do it because I want to offer my ideas and see just who is interested in them.

I guess its a bigger let-down if people are writing for reviews.

However I love constructive criticism, so thats one reason I wish more people posted reviews (that meant something, although common "I like it" is a good feeling).

Guest DarkAvenger

I write because I like to write... but I post because I want to share it with those that wish to see it. Otherwise, I'd be happy just hording it all to myself.

I guess it's just that when I post, I'd like to get some kind of feedback from others... especially when it's original.

Does it suck in the publics opinion?

Are all those hits people who left because they thought it was the most horrible thing they'd ever laid eyes on?

Or are the hits all people who are reading every chapter as I publish it, but who don't think I care about reviews since I don't beg for them in my authors notes?

Or was it just "okay" and not worthy of a review?

... I guess that makes me really insecure about my writing... and honestly, I am. unsure.gif I guess it's just that I don't know if what I think is great, the rest of the world hates. Original works could one day lead somewhere... to something being published... or not.

For me, it's all of those questions that haunt me when no one reviews. *shrug* In a way, that probably means I'd be better off not posting at all and keeping only my personal opinions about it...

And, honestly, I've always been a total review whore. Since day one. Blame it on the teachers I say! You turn in homework, it never comes back without the teachers "review" of it on it. XD

(in response to original message post)

I'm not sure that anyone else feels this way, but I've noticed that not only are reviewers on the original fiction boards really lacking, the writing is, as well. Lately, whenever I go to an original fiction board (mainly the slash and erotica sections, at least on this particular count), I can't find a single fic that lacks one or all of these devices: rape, incest, male pregnancy, or even [dubiously] consentual sex between an adult and a child (not just a minor, by the way, but a full-fledged child). Personally, I find it hard to leave positive or constructive reviews to these sorts of stories, so I just don't review at all. Perhaps other writers feel the same?

Possibly. I tend to post my own original fics there, and even though I haven't written in any of those categories, I watch as my own works get drowned out. There are several stories with hetero non related non pedophiliac plots, but they tend to get drowned out by the rest.

The worst is when a single author will multipost individual chapters of a story, or even many different stories, all at the same time, sending everyone's latest work off to page two or three. I've seen it happen at least twice a month.

I can understand if people have limited access to the internet, but for the sake of their fellow authors it would be nice if they condensed their works into a single link chain, instead of flooding the front page with their works.

I mainly post to get ideas out there, but I have to admit that I'm usually looking for some feedback with original fiction as well. A lot of times when I post an original I want to the feedback:

a) because the story relates to a project I'm working on, or

cool.gif I'm experimenting/practicing a particular style.

In the case of fanfiction, though, I usually write because I'm sick of seeing the same main-stream stuff [was infamous for bizarre, flame-inducing pairings and ideas for a while on another site.] Even if its a small group, there's always going to be somebody who wants to see something different.

I probably mentioned it before, but it really is irritating that people who don't even try are superstars, while the people who write quality stories aren't given any feedback.

A case of nice guys finishing last, I guess.