Click Here!

Should I Be Mad?

Guest Jackie_Boi

Guest Jackie_Boi

Ok, I'm having some strange emotions right now. There's a young...*ahem* woman who was an avid reviewer of my Celeb Real World: Detroit fic, has, in some ways, copied what I've done. Now, I'm not saying that my story was the best of fics (it's fun to write...but I wouldn't say it's a work of art lol), but, I find it extremely strange that she has written a High School Musical fanfic on fanfiction.net with the title Real World: New Mexico.

Now, I've read her work, it's pretty bad, yet she's getting so many reviews that I felt a tad guilty that I more or less bashed her story (in my head), but once I read the reviews I quickly understood. All of her stories seemed to be reviewed by the 12-14 crowd...or even younger, because a couple of reviewers even asked "What does bi mean?"

Anyway, back on track, my question is, is this chick copying off of me by using, sort of, the same title? I would have brushed this off, but it's strange to me that after being a dedicated reviewer, she suddenly coughes up a story with the real world title in it.

On the content front, her story seems to do what i did, but in a PG sort of way. For those of you who aren't familiar with my fic, it's basically Real World with 6 male celebs (and you guessed it, they ALL "turn" gay hehe). Hers is just Real World with characters from High School Musical.

I KNOW that I shouldn't be mad, cos her story is nothing like mine, but I just can't help thinking I at least inspired that title choice... I guess I'm even more angered at how horrid her writing is and how the actual Real World title is just more or less slapped on. *sigh* Thanks for listening to my queeny complaints >_<.

When we think someone is ripping off our work without permission then obviously the first insticnt is to get mad. What you have to keep in mind is that it was your work that inspired the person to write that fic and emulate you.

First impressions are sometimes proven wrong and while you may have felt that you hated their fic becasue it was ripping off yours, you are allowed to change your mind if you think their work is good. if they are putting talent into what their writing and creating a good fic then it's fine to stop being angry at them.

You said her story isn't like yours, and only te title is similar. so really all your fic may have done was inspire her to write her own real world fic.

If you thought someone was ripping off your stuff then you have the right to be mad. But it's also fine if your not since her work isn't the same as yours.

I understand exactly how you feel. I hardly ever get reviews, so your situation is different from mine. I've seen a few fics in my fandom that I know have been inspired by something I wrote, which is fine, except for the fact that there's no shout-out. Something along the lines of "I really like so-and-so's work and this kind of inspired me." It sucks that this person has actually reviewed your stuff and then not mentioned they were influenced by you. sad.gif

There's not much that can be done, unfortunately. I've found I'm just going to have to live with it. dry.gif

Guest Jackie_Boi
I understand exactly how you feel. I hardly ever get reviews, so your situation is different from mine. I've seen a few fics in my fandom that I know have been inspired by something I wrote, which is fine, except for the fact that there's no shout-out. Something along the lines of "I really like so-and-so's work and this kind of inspired me."

That's EXACTLY how I felt. I felt like, at least she could of given me a simiple shout-out lol. I dunno, I'm over it, cos it would be different if the story itself was something I held to dearly (it's just fun for me, it's not really than important to me). But yeah, I just went a tad queeny on that =/. Thanks for responding guys biggrin.gif.

Oh...and inkslinger...how in all that is holy did u get that many naughty points...that's outrageous.

Guest Melody Fate
I KNOW that I shouldn't be mad, cos her story is nothing like mine, but I just can't help thinking I at least inspired that title choice... I guess I'm even more angered at how horrid her writing is and how the actual Real World title is just more or less slapped on. *sigh* Thanks for listening to my queeny complaints >_<.

Do you have the right to be irked? Sure you do. You can't tell someone what they're feeling is wrong.

However, that being said, she's not doing anything wrong. Hell, two songs have come out with the exact same title and that's legal.

Some might say that your title was inspired by MTV's reality show. Does that mean the folks at MTV would have the right to get upset if they saw your title, even if your fic has nothing to do with the Real World television show or any MTV show at all? And, maybe that's where she got her inspiration too. Not very likely, but not impossible either.

I think the nice thing to do would be for your little fan to put a note in that your story inspired the title of hers and to thank you for that. But, considering there are whacked out fanfic writers who would scream "You copied me!" over a duplicate useage of one sentence, I really can't blame her for not drawing your attention to it.

Yeah, it's never easy when your work inspires a craptastic writer, but I've seen people start out as terrible and end up pretty good. Maybe you could offer to help her improve? Because while it sucks to inspire a crappy writer, it's pretty ego boosting to inspire someone who becomes a damned good writer.

Guest Jackie_Boi
Maybe you could offer to help her improve? Because while it sucks to inspire a crappy writer, it's pretty ego boosting to inspire someone who becomes a damned good writer.

Yano, it's ironic, that's how I found this story. I was communicating with her via aim and I asked to read some of her works. So I read em and that's when I saw the Real World title and notice it was posted not long after I began mine. I didn't say anything to her, but I did give her a honest opinion of most of her work. Of course it's hard to hear your stuff sucks (altho...I find that I want those honest reviews more than all the praise in the world), but, I did tell her tons of good things she did. The review wasn't even close to being mean and I even helped her with one of the stories. She eventually got defensive (even tho I was EXTREMELY nice, telling her that she will get better and informing her on what she needed to impove on) and now, she doesn't even sign onto aim anymore tongue.gif.

ohmehgosh, did I mention is like's 15? I would report her, but, she's only a reader and not an author...

Guest Melody Fate
ohmehgosh, did I mention is like's 15? I would report her, but, she's only a reader and not an author...

If she has a user name she's using, you have to report her. Whether or not she's reading or writing makes no difference at all, she's not supposed to be on this site, period. And, if I'm reading the TOS correctly, if she can be identified, you can get into serious trouble if you know she's fifteen and don't take any steps to stop her from being here.

As far as her not taking critism well, I'd try telling her that if she wants to improve, she's going to have to take hearing things she doesn't like. If she doesn't care, then you're not going to waste your time trying to help her.

Guest Jackie_Boi

*salutes* YES Ma'am!

She doesn't use a user name, so...I don't know how I'd go about reporting her...

But yeah, she not being able to take critism is pretty immature of her. I remember when I was her age and I LOVED getting constructive critism and I STILL do. *sigh*, well, I havent heard from her for like...a month or so...so yeah, I don't have to deal with her. But, if I find out that she has a user name, I will report asap! biggrin.gif

Guest Melody Fate

Hey, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd hate the idea of someone getting kicked off for letting a minor run around on this site knowing they were a minor. ANd yes, that could mean serious trouble for the site too.

In fact... here it is from the TOS:

"I will not encourage known underagers Memberships to be created or to remain on AdultFanFiction.net."

And in some ways this applies too to the situation:

"I understand the legal consequences the Administrators and Moderators of AdultFanFiction.net may face, should I not adhere to any and all legal requirements they ask of us. I will make a reasonable effort to help protect AdultFanFiction.net from legal action, if only in making sure I am diligent in not personally endangering the welfare of the AdultFanFiction.net community."

As for her not taking critism well... people are different. She might be looking at writing as just a hobby, so who cares.

I believe everyone has the right to enjoy writing fanfiction how they wish. However, I really do wish there was a coding system for showing how much you want 100% honest reviews, like Red, Yellow and Green. Red meaning "Can't take any critism, I'm a fragile flower" Yellow meaning, "I'm average, yes, I can take it, but I like to hear what you liked about my work too. or Green: I'm tough as iron soup, you don't have to like anything about my story, rip me to peices, I don't care!

Guest Jackie_Boi
Hey, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd hate the idea of someone getting kicked off for letting a minor run around on this site knowing they were a minor.

No, I don't mind you telling me what to do biggrin.gif. I totally understand why minors aren't allowed and it's good to know I have people liek you to inform me on these rules. Again, I wasn't trying to make it seem like you were bossing me around, I totally understand.

I believe everyone has the right to enjoy writing fanfiction how they wish. However, I really do wish there was a coding system for showing how much you want 100% honest reviews, like Red, Yellow and Green.

Oh goodness, yes! That would be a really good system. I find it difficult really to ask reviewers to give me more than "ZOMG!! Hurry and Update!" Altho they are nice to have, they aren't nearly as important as the ones who point out different things that were wrong.