Click Here!

Choose your own adventure story questions

Guest Chai Xianghua

Guest Chai Xianghua

I've been thinking about writing some choose your own adventure (CYOA) stories, but I don't know how to write one. I love the concept and read some CYOA books, but are there people on this site who have written CYOA stories. Or are there other fanfic/original story sites with these type of stories.

Please help me out here. I'd appreciate some advice and story examples.

Guest Chai Xianghua
I used to want to write one of those but I gave up the idea as too difficult. I admire anyone that can write one and do it well because I imagine the process of writing them must be tricky.

I'm practicing one right now. I don't think it's way too challenging as it is time consuming. I might work on these when I have some "time off" from my other stories.

Try a simple one - start like a process map - restrict each section to one short paragraph, and have only two choices on each paragraph, with lots of "ending" or "go back to start" to restrict further progress on branches. Get skeleton plots worked out on this, then go back and write more detail etc into the paragraphs if you want.

I think there are some pretty detailed guides already on the internet - try google to see if you can get more detailed tips. I tried one about three years ago but didn't really get anywhere.

I tried to write one. Definitely suggest using a graph, and at least outlining all the story lines you want before actually writing one.