Click Here!

Now This Is Just Silly

NightScribe

So, a week or so ago, I had e-mailed an author with some similarity questions about their fic. They responded right away and everything's cool, fine, hunky dory.

Last night, I noticed they updated, so I thought I'd check it out, just for chuckles. I was rewarded! They've reworked their AN/Disclaimer, an obvious slam against me for questioning them in the first place. I thought the occasional words in ALL CAPS to emphasize their point was an especially nice, laugh inducing touch. I was so close to leaving a review, saying "Dude, relax....I got your e-mail and everything's cool. Sorry I didn't e-mail you to tell you I got your e-mail and everything's cool." Then proceed to tweak them a bit by reiterating what their disclaimer says, complete with ALL CAPS. tongue.gif

But, it is a beautiful day in my part of the world, and I'm in a great mood and feeling magnanimous. smile.gif

Now I'm off to buy more paper and ink cartridges so I can finish my WIP and get started on my next project!

this person is probably 15 and borrowed stuff from your fic.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Their OFC has the same first name as one of mine (that could be totally coincidental, but I've written four fics with her going back to last year) and the OMC hails from Düsseldorf, a town I mentioned in my recent fic. Their OMC is from Germany, speaks German on occasion and plays the bass. I have an OMC who's Italian, speaks Italian on occasion and plays the lute. Their OCs have to return to Hogwarts to save it from her psycho father who's taken over. Mine...He Who Is A Psychopath has a plan to take over the school, and somebody has to return to stop him....That's kind of why I dropped them a line in the first place. They said no, and I'm like "yeah, cool, whatever, knock yourself out. Goodnight and good luck." I must have pissed them off for them to go with the ALL CAPS:

PLEASE NOTE: The characters are of MY OWN and MY FRIEND'S creation. They were originally ROLEPLAY CHARACTERS, and were created of our own volition. If you would like proof (Or would just like to see the original profiles), please email me. The address may be found on my profile.

Funny! laugh.gif Of course, they could have come up with all this six years ago or something. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. (NOT!) tongue.gif

Guest Pink Lace

It's entirely possible that it's coincidence. I was this close *hold thumb and forefinger 1 mm apart* to writing a smut fic where Vincent gets taken over by his inner demons and rapes Aeris - good god right when I was about to start somebody posts their story about it. Of course, now I can't post mine even though I personally think it might have been better and not to mention longer, mine was NOT going to be a oneshot. No biggie, there are plenty of other ideas I could work through. Just imagine what would have happened if I hadn't read the other story before posting mine...

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
It's entirely possible that it's coincidence. I was this close *hold thumb and forefinger 1 mm apart* to writing a smut fic where Vincent gets taken over by his inner demons and rapes Aeris - good god right when I was about to start somebody posts their story about it. Of course, now I can't post mine even though I personally think it might have been better and not to mention longer, mine was NOT going to be a oneshot. No biggie, there are plenty of other ideas I could work through. Just imagine what would have happened if I hadn't read the other story before posting mine...

It is possible, but highly unlikely. With Inkslinger's situation, the original characters were very similar in both personality and name. That's not very likely. Having two canon characters fall in a similar situation is more likely, especially with the situation you described.

Guest Pink Lace

Dirty minds think alike, you mean? Hehehe.

Well if you pile on the coincidences like that it becomes much less likely that it wasn't stolen.

the original characters were very similar in both personality and name. That's not very likely.

I can back up Pixagi's quote with an example. This does not apply to the story or author I used to start this thread, but a different one. I'm going to be throwing out a spoiler of my own stuff, but it doesn't matter.

My first fic was Snape/OFC. First chapter starts in the Great Hall during dinner, with Snape sitting next to one Circe Amante (OFC-yes she's a knock-out, I believe Snape should shag beautiful women) who's a guest lecturer at the school. They engage in a "conversation" that mainly consists of snarky insults. *Spoiler Alert* I reveal in the sequel that Circe is a goddess, an immortal, a descendent of the Greek Gods (Circe duh). Her last name, Amante, is Italian for "love" or "lover". Got it? Good.

Early April of this year (I posted my fic almost a year ago) a new story shows up. It starts in the Great Hall during dinner when a new teacher arrives, who is a knock-out. She sits next to Snape and engages in conversation that consists of insults (that were absolutely terrible; neither clever or funny). This other OFC's last name was "Astarte." Why is that familiar? I thought. And not just because of the Amante/Astarte similarity. So I looked it up. *Ahem* Astarte is the Semitic goddess of love and fertility. Uh, "goddess" "love"? Puh-leze.

Mind you, all this crap happened in the first chapter. And it didn't get any better, I could predict what was going to happen next. It was a bad case of deja vu. I left a review, pointing out the similarities and they pulled the story in a New York minute. They knew they'd been caught, the little bastard.

What's my point? I don't think I have one, other than, hopefully, it helps to explain my slight case of paranoia. unsure.gif

Now that story was a blatant rip off, no doubt about it. With others, you just have to let some stuff ride. Still others are somewhere in-between. There was another story with similarities (OFC) and they denied having been influenced by my WIP. How many freakin' HP stories have a character close to Snape who's a deaf-mute and have Snape involved in an adulterous affair with Narcissa once her husband gets locked up in prison? And reveal that Lucius was a sexually abusive husband and have Snape living in a house protected by spells and Snape's deaf-mute daughter being molested by Voldemort in her dark bedroom and I've got Voldemort doing weird ass shit to Pansy in a black magic ritual chamber and Snape comforts her later in a very paternal, fatherly way? Yeesh!!!

Oh, sorry, I went off on a tangent there. Gosh, the world is full of crazy coincidences, isn't it? ohmy.gif