Click Here!

I'm Quitting Fanfics

NightScribe

This may come off as the rantings of a totally arrogant, conceited, self-centered bitch, but I really don't care. This may not be the place for it, but I honestly have to get this off my chest, because I don't know what to do about it anymore.

I'm quitting writing HP fanfics.

I started posting on AFF about a year ago. Love the freedom of the site, I think it's awesome, no censorship, (or forced self-censorship), you can really express yourself in your works. However...

Earlier this year, especially after AFF came back up after being read-only, I started to find HP fics that were...uncomfortably similiar to my own. The first, and worst, was a blatant chapter for chapter rip-off and others have "borrowed" (some so heavily) it's sickening. I usually don't scroll through my sub-category (SS/OFC) because I inevitably find a synopsis, coupled with glowing reviews, that sets off alarm bells in my head. I can't even bring myself to try to read the stories anymore; it pisses me off so much and I end up awake at....1:30am stewing. If I recall correctly, I've seen at least six (two are gone, three I shrugged off, and the last I haven't looked into because my BP is high enough already).

What burns me so much is that my stories get hits, great ratings, but no reviews. Hmm, could lurkers be responsible? To me it says, "hey, your story is great, but I'm not gonna leave a review, cause I'm stealing parts of it. Then, I'm gonna have my cheerleading squad, my mom, my beta, my teacher, whoever review it. Ha-ha-ha sucker!"

Believe me, I wouldn't be surprised if a month from now, a story shows up where Hermione owns an upscale restaurant catering to Muggles and Snape is the maitre d, having to deal with screwed up reservations and complaining customers, including Harry & Ron. (That's actually a good idea for a crackfic, but I digress).

Every time this happens, I just don't want to write anymore. I feel like my ideas/fics are being kidnapped, raped, disfigured and then thrust back out there. Well (and sorry for the vulgarism) I'm tired of getting pissed on. I've been working on a five part epic for almost a year. I have the rough drafts for the last two chapters of the fourth story done and I don't feel like finishing it. And I sure as hell don't want to even write the fifth. I feel guilty about it, and it's unfair. Unfair to me and to the decent people who have been quietly reading and enjoying. But then I think, if they can't bother to say anything why should I care if I leave them hanging?

Like I said, I may sound like a complete "all about me" psycho about this, (it's late and I'm tired) but it's killing my enthusiasm to write. So, I'm derailing the gravy train. The NightScribe soup kitchen is closing; I won't feed those lurking, s.o.b. hacks anymore. I love the forum, you guys are great **hugs all around** and I'm not leaving here (unless I get kicked off by the admins for this little rant).

If anybody can suggest how I can shrug off this whole thing and keep plugging away, bring it on. I love the writing process, I love my fics, I just hate the games. sad.gif

oh darn. sad.gif

well, I ...I wish you much success and and...happiness in your future endeavors, but...I'll kind of miss you, even tho' I only read one of your marvelous examples of your talent. *sighs* I'm used to you being here. I...I wish you wouldn't go. I'm taking down my sig and putting sackcloth and ashes.

Guest Pink Lace

I know exactly what you mean. Right after I posted two fics, there were new ones which I thought were kinda "inspired" by mine. I can tell because one of my fics is in character and serious, with an actual plot. Anyway, I think because of the way it was written some readers thought certain things in it are canon - they aren't, I just invented those. So if a new fic has those particular details, well then it seems pretty clear to me that it was inspired by mine. No actual proof, though they could claim they thought it up themselves independently.

I know exactly what you mean. Right after I posted two fics, there were new ones which I thought were kinda "inspired" by mine. I can tell

I am so glad somebody else knows what I'm talking about, having experienced it themselves. It makes me feel less of a loon. And Pink, I'm sorry you have to go through that nonsense as well. A friend of mine tried telling me that it's kind of flattering, that my stuff made an impression, etc. Well, yes, but...if someone is inspired, how hard is it to drop an e-mail and say I'd like to use that idea in my own fic, is that ok? or put something in an AN (inspired by blah blah blah by Pink Lace, NightScribe, JaneDoe582 or whoever?)

I thought of amending my usual disclaimer and saying "all OCs and the events depicted in this fic are the intellectual property and copyrighted material of... If you're inspired, please make mention in your AN." I always mention the author/artist in my disclaimers (Rowling, Leroux) and anything I directly quote (poems, songs, etc.).

I started to write one fic, months ago, that really started off well, then as I was getting towards the big finish, I realized the payoff was alot like something I had read on another site, by an author I really respected and admired. I shelved mine because I felt it would be wrong to continue. If/when I figure out an ending, I may finish it, but until then, it's in limbo. To me, it's just the right thing to do.

Well, I got a few hours sleep and feel better, apart from the lingering headache. dry.gif And even though in my tirade I said "I quit!" I know I'm not. Getting me to stop writing is like trying to get Andy Dufrense to stop chiseling out of Shawshank. It ain't gonna happen. I guess I'll have to avoid my sub-category and the latest posts sections of the HP archive, otherwise I'll go insane. blink.gif **sympathetic hug to Pink**

Guest lightgoddess

First, Inkslinger, don't feed the trolls! If you can see blatent chapter by chapter rip-offs of your fic, leave the author a review. Just tell them, "Look arse pirate, this is a total rip-off of a story I wrote. If you had any talent you might be able to pull it off and make it look like yours, but since you don't, since you have hacked to bits and repeatedly raped a fic I took the time to write, I'm only telling you this once. You have three days to take this down before I contact the admin about it. I'm sure they would love to see your craptacular attempt at plagerism."

Then, don't give them three days, but post a link to the story in the Trolls/Palgerism section here, letting all of us know right after emailing the admin with the links. These people are probably either underaged or so immature that they need to be looked at by admin anyway. You've got to fight those sons of bitches! Yes, it takes a bit of work, but don't let it discourage you from writing. That's what these people are trying to do.

Every day I am thankful that I am not such a good writer that people are stealing my stuff and crapping it down (even more lol). But, I would not stand for it. I'd probably also talk about this person/persons on my LJ, google group, several of the forums I'm on, and in an A/N or two and get the word out that they are stealing from me. I'd also encourage my readers to go read that fic and decide for themselves and tell them to leave flames if they thought it was a troll. *sly smile* There's always more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

As for stopping, I hope you don't do that, ever. I'll PM you another great HP site that is a lot like AFF in its views of censorship and stuff if you want. wub.gif

DON'T LET THE TROLLS WIN!!

If you can see blatent chapter by chapter rip-offs of your fic, leave the author a review.

That's exactly what I did with that first little gnome (AFF staff was so spastic getting the site going again, I decided to handle it myself, rather than bother them). That chick pulled that story in less than 12 hours when she realized she'd been caught. And that story of hers was beyond craptacular. it was turdtastic. A remember a real reviewer had asked her "why did you make your OFC so obnoxious and unlikeable? And Snape is so ooc he's like a messed up teenager." That's why I decided to read it. It's pretty bad when you know 1/4 of the way through the first chapter that they're ripping you off (and badly) and you can predict what's going to happen next. Yeesh!

Guest paranoid

But if you let us know about the problem, not only are we able to take care of the problem, the information is shared between several different sites.

Well, I got a few hours sleep and feel better, apart from the lingering headache. dry.gif And even though in my tirade I said "I quit!" I know I'm not. Getting me to stop writing is like trying to get Andy Dufrense to stop chiseling out of Shawshank. It ain't gonna happen. I guess I'll have to avoid my sub-category and the latest posts sections of the HP archive, otherwise I'll go insane. blink.gif **sympathetic hug to Pink**

phew, that's a relief.

I guess I can take off the sackcloth and ashes now.

What happened to me actually did, with an author who was better than me, on the same day, nearly at the same time, we both posted a romance chapter that involved couch sex. When I read her version, I had a creeping feeling go down my spine.

It wasn't word for word, but it was so insync with mine, and we had so obviously Not known what the other was writing until the post that it was creepy. Even though I posted first, I felt like redoing the chapter, but I let it stand. I think that there are some people that you connect with, whether you like that person or not. Kind of like the Harem. If there are a bunch of women together, their mentrual cycles start to co-incide.

I'm not saying that this is what is happening to you, but it may be a factor, esp when the posts are on the same day. I think women are more..sympathetic? (Not sure if that's the word I want) toward underlying currents of human commonality.

(God, that word reminded me of Mortal Kombat Annihilation, when that native guy is telling Lui Kang to "find your animality" What a ludicrous word!)

esp when the posts are on the same day.

If that were happening, I wouldn't break a sweat, in fact I've seen things like that and I classify it as "weird, conincidental nature of the fanfic beast" it often can't be helped. It's the stuff that shows up a couple of months later, or when they're posting updates a few days after I do that gets me raising my eyebrows.

After feverishly reading the entire thread, I feel better now. *whew!*

Although I'm a horrible fanfic reader anymore, since I started writing the little bastards, I would hate to see a dedicated HP writer ride off into the sunset because of some cretins with too much time on their hands and too few brains in their heads.

I haven't seen anyone "borrowing" from any of my stories, then again, I rarely read anything anymore. However, I can relate to the freakishly high blood pressure due to fanfic nonsense. I was accused to plagiarizing over at ye old fan nazi. Before anyone asks, I still post there because there are still folks who follow my stories there. Anyway, some little angel left this passive, backhanded review that said something like...crap, now I have to go look it up...

"For some reason i can't help but think you plagerized this story...I've read it somewhere else..."

...complete with the ellipses. Misspelled plagiarized as well, but that is beside the point. I requested that she substantiate the claim, but surprise, surprise, the reviewer never returned. As Madapple pointed out at the time, she probably read the story at AFF or Ashwinder and stupidly cried wolf. That doesn't mean that I didn't wanted to kick her cabbit little ass. *ahem* Sorry, I guess I'm still a bit sore about the whole thing.

My ever-rambling point is that you can't let the troglodytes win! You have to fire back because those people who are kindly "renting" your storylines and characters don't expect to be caught. When they are, they'll likely run for the hills. And if need be, you could just sic us all on them. We've got your back! *waves fiery torch and pitchfork* I'm all set!

Guest Melody Fate

I agree with others. Rather than quit, make sure we know who these people are. I'd be happy to leave a review letting them know exactly what I think of people who steal stories.

The only thing though, is it really the story that's being stolen or the idea? I've seen writers scream, "This was stolen!" only to find out that yeah, the plot is similar, but the story itself is widely different.

Yes, an outlandish story with a ridiculous premise might be a brow raiser (Like your example of the Harry Potter and the Restaurant idea...) If two stories were out with that plot, I'd be likely to think that one person grabbed it from the other. But even in that case, unless there is a certain amount of dialog or narative lifted, it's not really considered theft.

The other day I went to the bookstore and saw there were about ten different books that were pretty much the DaVinci code, meaning the plot of all of them were that DaVinci knew something that the Catholic church wants to keep secret and they're willing to go to pretty serious lengths to make sure it stays secret forever...

None of these "DaVinci code" books were written by Dan Brown (Except the original) The few I flipped through didn't even have a note crediting Dan Brown for the idea. Yet, they were all legitmately published works and it was obvious the writers took their plot from Dan Brown's book.

So, techically, taking plots isn't stealing. It's what you do with them. Copy right laws talk about how much must be identical to the first work in order to be considered copying. That's why when people come up who claim that Rowlings have ripped off their work, they claim it's identical or very close. "My character was named Henry Potter. The school was called Hogsworth! The headmaster was Dumbleman!" Because they can't say, "Hey, I thought of the idea of a magical world and a young boy who finds out he's a wizzard long ago!" Because the law's opinion of the second will be "So what?"

I agree though, that if someone uses your idea, they should at least thank you. This isn't professional writing, no one makes money, so there's no shame in admitting it. It boils down to how identical the two peices are.

Plagiarists and drunk drivers should be hanged on sight. If you need some vicious hate sicced on some fourteen year old plagiarist, I'll chew 'em out good.

I've had two fics stolen word for word and posted on other fanfic sites and if it wasn't for another author who was robbed by the same plagiarist I wouldn't have noticed. It really disgusted me, and I all but gave up on Naruto fanfics, however I couldn't not write, its something I have to do. I started on some Original ideas I had. Not only am I happily writing, I'm having a hell of a lot more fun with the characters. However, if someone were to rip off From the Looking Glass, I'd get murderous. Yet I wouldn't be able to give it up.

While they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery it does piss me off when i think someone is ripping off my work. While borrowing ideas from each other is fine in my book "hmm, Hermione ends up with breasts so large she can't walk, thats a good idea." but then you're supposed to rework the concept and retell it in a brand new way so that only the two authors would be able to spot whats happened. Your's had a potion, so mine will be a spell, you'rs was in an empty classroom, so mine will be in a bedroom, you'rs was an M/F pairing with Harry, so mine will be an F/F pairing with Cho. simple, quick, basic and done. the real changes come in the telling of the story because two authors have different styles of writing.

i haven't run into anything like that yet on AFF but i have aon another site where some of my work is posted.

I can understand that you are so fed up you want to jack it in. But don't.

leave a few bad reviews, challange the authors by letting them know they've stolen your ideas and more importantly let the site moderators know whats going on. If the rip off of your work is obvious then they WILL do something about it.

I wouldn't be able to give it up myself. writing is something that gets into you. Once you've channelled your creative juices down that road you ccan't pull them back. you might not write, but you'll catch yourself thinking of pairings and working on ideas even if you're determined not to do anything about them. i personally couldn't give it up neither fanfics nor my serious writing. i have tried and i have failed. sooner or later you will return to the keyboard and there will be no shame if you return to AFF as well.

If you still you've got to leave, go ahead and try, sometimes only by trying will you learn. good luck to you whatever you decide.