Click Here!

Will writing in Present?

Guest julihann

Guest julihann

There’s something that always bother me while writing, I write in present! And this is becoming a problem, because I’m trying to write a whole book by now! Will writing in present be a problem if I ever consider publishing the book?

(This is eating me from the inside and out! HELP ME … please … ;) )

Oh, it's possible to do, but it's quite difficult to do well. Which is the main problem.

Most people don't notice when they change the tense of the verb from present to past or future (or any combination thereof) so readers lack interest and the story flops.

But the main key to writing in the present tense is to NOT CHANGE THE TENSE OF YOUR VERBS. It can be a challenge, but if you read your story out loud to yourself, you should be able to catch it when you change tenses (or forget words, or whatever). And a good beta helps, too.

It is very difficult, but not impossible. My advice to go about writing in present time is by imagining you are directing a movie, and you have to tell your actors exactly what to do. Not later, not in past tense, but right this instant. And remember to be specific!

As long as you can keep your head in the "now" then you should get it done just as easily as you would past tense.

I wish you good luck! <_<

I assume what you mean by writing in the present as, for example, "I pick up the chair and move it against the wall" or "He picks up the chair and moves it against the wall" rather than "He picked up the chair and moved it against the wall". That last example - third-person perspective - is by far the most flexible way to write, and one you'll need to master if you want to be taken seriously as an author. Yes, there have been famous books written in first-person perspective, and most authors will give it a try at least once (it's a bit like every horror writer needs to write at least one haunted house story) but the majority of books you find will be third-person.

Technically, that second example - He picks up the chair and moves it against the wall - is third-person, present tense - but most people will see a story written as third-person, past tense, as being more professional, rightly or wrongly. Getting past and present tense confused is something all but the most gifted authors get mixed up from time to time, so it's something you'll always have to keep a close eye on. I know I do.

If you're not used to writing third-person, past tense, then just give it a go. Try writing a short piece and see how you go. The more you work at it, the better you'll get.

There's something that always bother me while writing, I write in present! And this is becoming a problem, because I'm trying to write a whole book by now! Will writing in present be a problem if I ever consider publishing the book?

(This is eating me from the inside and out! HELP ME … please … :balloon: )

I've seen very few good works, professional or otherwise, done in present tense. That isn't to say that there aren't any. It's very very difficult to write consistently in present tense, and I often find it difficult to read.

The few present tense books I've seen published were all children's fiction. I don't know if that's the genre you're going for if you're posting on AFF...

Guest Calamus

Thank you guys for all your help!

I've seen very few good works, professional or otherwise, done in present tense. That isn't to say that there aren't any. It's very very difficult to write consistently in present tense, and I often find it difficult to read.

The few present tense books I've seen published were all children's fiction. I don't know if that's the genre you're going for if you're posting on AFF...

No, hehe. I’m not going to post children fairytales here at AFF (at least not children fairy tales for children :balloon: )

English, is not my native language. ;)

I agree with most of the replies. But I'd like to put in my two cents anyway. I think I've read two REALLY good books in present tense. The most memorable was in 1st person POV too.

In my opinion, the most important thing is what you feel most comfortable writing. For instance, if you really want to challenge yourself but you feel kinda awkward writing a 3rd POV future tense, it will read awkwardly. What I do when I'm trying to decide on tense and POV for a particular story, is I write two or three versions of the very first scene in the different options. Whatever POV/tense I had more fun writing, that's the one I go with.

So what I'm saying is, anything's possible. I think you'd stand a better chance publishing if you do what you're comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

OK, sorry, I know I'm a little late in responding here, but if you're interested, I'd like to point out an author that switches back and forth between 1st and 3rd person narrative in her books, and manages (I don't know how) to do it quite well. Diana Gabaldon is the author. Her heroine is written in 1st person (present and past tense, depending on what is being done), and all other characters are written in 3rd person (present and past tense, again, depending on what is being done). She's managed to write over 7 books in one series this way, and has an offshoot series based upon one of the characters found in the first series, but this she writes strictly in 3rd person. I have no idea how she keeps it all straight, but she does. Anyway, you might want to look at her books for ideas on writing in 1st person.