Click Here!

I can't seem to post my new story...

Guest cimaxtli

Guest cimaxtli

hey

i've had a few problems whilst trying to upload a piece of fiction to AFF.

Originally i attempted to upload a Microsoft Word document but they are incompatible.

If i copy and paste the fic into the text entry option, not only do i loose any formatting such as bold, italic and different fonts etc, but upon posting it only a 1/4 of the fic, if that appears. And i have read pieces of fiction vastly larger than that in one chapter so i don't think it's a field size limit or anything.

If i turn the Microsoft Word Document into lets say a "note pad" document and upload, it uploads fine but only a 1/4 of the fic appears just as if i'd entered it into the text entry field.

I can't figure out why it won't work, i've posted fiction before and its allowed more than this per page... it's rather confusing... :unsure:

the only uploadedable files on the site are HTML and text. Beyond that you would have to copy and paste. An easy way to do this is open the original Word document then save as... select Web Page (*htm, *html) from the pull down menu and save it that way then upload. That's how i do it and it saves all the formatting except centering for some reason)

Read the following FAQ as well.

Allowable Html

How to Edit

Page Draw Errors

You see, even using Word or Open Office to export your document to an html file, there are still extra tags that the programs will put in to it. So there is some additional editing that needs to be done. To clean up the html, you open that file in notepad, as it's a text editor. DELETE OUT the tags and extras which the archive doesn't allow.

Also, be very sure that all your tags have an opening tag and a closing tag. If you have a tag which isn't properly closed, for example, it can make your chapter look like much of it has disappeared. What happens is that the interpreter sees the improperly closed tag, and sees it as an end of FILE. So, the data is still there, it just won't display. Until you find the tag and close it.

To center a paragraph, you simply enclose the text with these tags: <center> <---the opening tag </center> <---the closing tag. The text you wish to be centered needs to be between the open and close tag, and then it'll be centered. What happens with a Word export, is that it makes division formats, which the archive doesn't allow, as it can't interpret it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.