Click Here!

Ages

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

For the past month I've been having conversations with my mom telling her about the forum and telling her about all the wacky hijinks that happen here. Something that struck me as more and more of use appear to be more forthcoming with our ages is the sheer differances in ages. I'm bretty sure that most of the people here are around the same age as my mother, and yet in most of the threads and games none of us seem older then me (18).

The internet was made for making connections. Really, until joined this forum I simply assumed everyone was about my age unless they seemed particularily immature.

I don't know what the point of this post is, exactly, but to point out how much we all seem to have in common despite the gaps in all of our ages.

And yes, I'm calling you all OLD! You're old, go die now!

tongue.gif

Hey, being old is a good thing.

But I'll hold onto my youth wink.gif

But, seriously, often when dealing with people that much older then me I feel like I'm being looked down on (and often am). It bugs the hell out of me when it appears that a person doesn't take me seriously. I oftem find myself wanting to stab someone in the neck with a spork, especially if they're in a position of authority. Then they treat teenagers all the same.

Here, however, I find that what I say is actually taken seriously when the situation calls for it. The same goes for everyone here, regardless of age. It's intellect which matters here, which is what keeps me here. There are no massive flame wars, there are actual discussions. And never once have I seen someone say "Well, you're younge aand don't know better."

Guest Mike256bit

I remember back when i was, like, 13, I would pretend to be a 29-year-old in the Yahoo chat rooms. I never once thought "Be in your early 20s. Girls want studs." It was never sexual! I just wanted to talk to mature people. Since then, I had sort of an understanding the Internet has a large age range a-visiting.

And I agree! There's an astounding commonality here that I haven't seen in many other places. Even on the SA forums you start to see where age pulls people into different groups.

I think it really helps that we're all writers. It takes creativity to write and creativity helps people interact.

Not to mention that, in order to be taken seriously, there's a certain level of sophisication neccessary.

Not to say we aren't all utter goof-balls, but SOPHISTICATED goof-balls!

Who you calling old, missy? (shaking my quad cane at you tongue.gif ) Seriously, though, it does rather warm the cockles *snicker* of my heart that younger people and the ancients (like myself) can discuss things so easily. My mom told me something once that I've never forgotten; "I'm willing to discuss anything, as long as it's done intelligently." I think that's what's going on here.

I also think that being writers, we put some some thought into what we say, even if we don't agree with someone. This is such a laid back forum, and I'm reminded of some t.v. show from way back (actually kind of before my time) that used the phrase "the lively art of conversation." In real life, I've found that "lively art" ain't so lively anymore. Here, it is.

It's nice to know there's a place where goofballs like us can get together and "rap." cool.gif

Guest Melody Fate

I'm 45 years old, which is probably near the age of your mother, give or take ten years or so.

As far as how old you are? I always assumed you were between 25-30. Mentally, I still say you're 25-30. I have a neighbor who's 35. I treat him like he's about twelve, because that's how old he acts.

It's strange, but I often find myself getting along better with the children of my friends than my friends. Especially once their kids get to be in their teens. They want to talk about things that are actually interesting. I find their parents want to talk about crab grass, blah blah, taxes, blah blah. It's like they're so caught up in being parents and house owners, they live in their own little world that bores the tears out of me.

I'm 45 years old, which is probably near the age of your mother, give or take ten years or so.

As far as how old you are? I always assumed you were between 25-30. Mentally, I still say you're 25-30. I have a neighbor who's 35. I treat him like he's about twelve, because that's how old he acts.

It's strange, but I often find myself getting along better with the children of my friends than my friends. Especially once their kids get to be in their teens. They want to talk about things that are actually interesting. I find their parents want to talk about crab grass, blah blah, taxes, blah blah. It's like they're so caught up in being parents and house owners, they live in their own little world that bores the tears out of me.

Actually, My mom just turned 47. I think you'd like her actually.

As for my mental age, I think that's one of the greatest compliments I've gotten in a long time<3

I rarely hang out with other in my age group. Why? I dunno. i generally spend time with those older or younger then I. I think I like the younger age bracket for the fun and the older for the brains. People my age kinda scare me, actually. To think that these people will be getting older and procreating makes me want to start a "Nuter the Nuts" campaign. blink.gif

Ha! Gap smap, I say!

I'm 26, and I usually impress people with my maturity while dumbfounding them at my ability to be utterly silly. There is no such thing as young or old--only alive. It's how one handles being alive through the years that changes their priorities.

In some ways, I think it is sophistication. I agree wholeheartedly with Inkslinger. As writers, I think we do put more thought into what we say, as well as everything else in our lives. In writing a story, we have to focus on a characters motivations, and in life, we are more forgiving of the faults of others because we can identify with things beyond our own life experiences. I'm babbling now...moving on...

To touch on what Melody said, I have the same opinion of some of my friends, both younger and older. It astounds me that most can talk at length about nothing other than the mundane, usually work. There are few who I can talk about music, literature, or a good movie with anymore. The same people I conversed with a few years ago on those very topics have been sucked into the perpetual "kids, house, work" repetition.

I remove myself from work during my lunch hour now because I can't stand to listen to people prattle on about work for an entire hour when that is my time to NOT talk about work-related topics. Eight hours is enough. They can't have my ninth, damn it!

There are few I've encountered on this forum that I would consider "immature". I've always found the people who frequent this forum to be much more "real" than those you see elsewhere. There isn't an I'm better than you attitude. We're all here to have fun and write some stories, and I think we're all a little saner for it, our physical age be damned!

Here, however, I find that what I say is actually taken seriously when the situation calls for it. The same goes for everyone here, regardless of age. It's intellect which matters here, which is what keeps me here. There are no massive flame wars, there are actual discussions. And never once have I seen someone say "Well, you're younge aand don't know better."

Well, young whippersnapper, I remember the flame war of '69 like it happened yesterday. Though I was nine at the time, and the internet was an unborn concept overshadowed by the men on the moon, I can tell you, it was some flame war. In fact, I would dare say it was the flame war to end all flame wars. I thought for sure Poly would rip out Mel's eyes, inspite of the fact she wasn't even born yet. It was her massive intellect, I tell you. It reached out over time and space. I think it all started with the words: "Your the original rich bitch, aren't you Mel?" and from there on, degenerated into flying sand and flame. I, of course, stood back and watched. Then, when they had exhausted all volatile similies, I spanked em both. We've had peaceful "discussions" ever since. If it ever gets to that point again, all I have to do is show them "the hand". Then they behave. You betcha they behave.

Guest lightgoddess

What makes this forum different is that we are all adults. It doesn't matter what age we are, only that we are of age. Personally, I'm 26, and unlike a lot of the people my age in my area, I do not have children. So, while I am married and I work full time, I don't have a 3, 4, or 5 year old to gush about and I don't connect with them. Of course, it doesn't help that most are not very well read, don't keep up with current events other than to know that we are at war rolleyes.gif , and their favorite thing to do on Sunday is watch NASCAR. Simply put, I'm not like them.

I like being able to log on to AFF and chat with people who may or may not be the same age as me, but have many of the same interests that I do. It also helps that no matter our age gaps, we can act silly together.

Don't worry, my pretty! Sometimes "the hand" feels good.... ph34r.gif

(Okay, did I take that a bit too far?)

Naw, don't worry about it.

I've been scarred beyond recognition for a rather long time ^__^

You too? huh.gif

I think it's pretty safe to say that pretty much everyone here has...

It's kinda sureal to be able to say, at the age of 18, that the majority of my life was spent conditioning me against shock...

...Or putting me in a constant state of shock ph34r.gif

I'm getting this really weird picture of Poly and Pixie with their fingers in an electrical socket, their hair on end, smoke coming out of their ears, and a silly, yet shocked look on their faces....

laugh.gif

Dude, never leave a 5 year old alone in a room with a pair of tweezers.

I can actually remember sitting in there with my friend Megan and playing with the tweezers. All the lights in the house flickered and my mom came running in.

She tells me my finger nails turned black. happy.gif

I was a special one.

I think that Inkslinger and Poly hit the nail on the head with this one. we all have a wish to share our talents, and in my twenty five years on this weird little planet, I've found it hard to find so many people that have that drive! And given some of the topics some of our works touch on it takes a certain amount of maturity to express those things properly (hence the badly done under-ager written fics). I think it's that common bond that makes these boards so much fun! That and we're all a bit nuts and silly smile.gif

Guest chibi4president
True, no normal people here...

But normal's boring and over-rated anyway! biggrin.gif

That's right, cuz I sure as hell ain't! And I love it!

I'm 19, but people say I'm quite mature for my age. And I don't hang around other 19-year-olds either. Most of my friends at the salon and other places are older. However, now that I've discovered the wonderful world of fanfiction thanks to AFF, I still don't feel like I'm ready to post my fics next to you guys's. Such mature topics, such in-depth discussions, such wonderfully detailed love scenes, and all I write is soap-opera-material stuff! I've still got some growing up to do. They say you're really a teenager until you're 25. I guess they're right.

Oh and Pixagi, you with the tweezers? They used to make these chocolate coin candies, with silver and copper foil around them that made them look realistic. I loved them when I was four, and accidentally swallowed a real nickel because of it.

"Ashley! What are you doing?" my grandmother asked as I clutched my throat.

"Grandma," I said, after the nickel went down, "why'd you eat my candy?"

I was a special child.

and she's the reason there are warning labels! laugh.gif

(not that little kids can read them tho!)

I can see it now: "Warning, this nickel is NOT a candy. Do NOT EAT!"

and she's the reason there are warning labels! laugh.gif

(not that little kids can read them tho!)

I can see it now: "Warning, this nickel is NOT a candy. Do NOT EAT!"

Hey, at least a nickle is less likely to kill you then tweezers and a wall socket...

"WARNING: DO NOT stick these into wall sockets due to risk of electric shock!"

Of course, I have an excuse of age. My aunt, when she was in her 30's, stuck one of those 3D picture things into the wall socket 'cause she wanted to make an imprint of it. You know, one of thise things with all the nails in it?