Click Here!

Fiction For A "forgotten" Series?

Guest chibi4president

Guest chibi4president

So many questions, so little time....Is it okay to write and submit fanfiction for a series that was targeted at the wrong audience and was taken off the air several times? It was no Inuyasha or Naruto, but it had a few fans even in my neck of the woods in its heyday of approximately two or three years ago, but has now been off the air for about a year. In other words, can you write about a supposedly "dead" fandom? huh.gif

Guest yamsham

Maybe those are bad examples? SM and Akira were classics because they were good. But what about really obscure anime, though? Stuff that never caught on and was forgotten. I thought about writing a "Zillion" fanfic once, mostly because it made me chuckle to think of all the people going "WTF?" I could so screw with canon and no one would ever know!

To chibi: You can write whatever you want. Just know that the more obscure the anime, the less likely it is you'll get reviews, if that's what you're writing for.

Guest Serenanna

Ok, fine, bad examples on my part, newer example. Mai-Hime, great show relatively still new as in about a year or two old. Number of fanfics on Aff.net?

I've been tempted to write one, but I need a plot first. Heck I've been tempted to write alot of fics. I just need to focus. v.v

Sere

But, Mai Hime is so...complete.

Have you seen Mai Otome yet? Same characters, different story. Kind of strange. It's like a fan fiction rather than another story.

Guest Big Samurai

Forgotten fandom is still fandom. Go for it, Chibi. It's possible to make a name for yourself just by bringing things back to life that might not have been appreciated in their time.

Of course, as a Gundam ZZ fan, it's easy for me to say that.

laugh.gif

Guest Serenanna
But, Mai Hime is so...complete.

Have you seen Mai Otome yet?  Same characters, different story.  Kind of strange.  It's like a fan fiction rather than another story.

v.v I know, oh man do I know.

Yes, I've seen Mai-Otome, but I prefer Hime more if only because it was . . . I don't know, more filling maybe. It was more adult, and definately less magical girl and more just plain magic. ::sighes:: I'll add it to my list of fandoms in need of a one-shot, at least.

Sere

Well, I have a Bomber Girl story posted here. Bomber Girl came out in 1996 and was very short-lived.

I recommend explaining the characters first, that way people won't go "Who the hell are these people?"

Guest chibi4president

Thanks guys cool.gif

The show I'm talking about is Rurouni Kenshin....

ohmy.gif

Remember that? blink.gif

Way back when, eh? Like a year or two ago? laugh.gif

I really like these smiley thingys smile.gif

Again, thanks for your replies, and I'll get started on that RuroKen fic and post it soon...

Guest Serenanna

Last I checked, that show's fandom was still alive and well along with being pretty darned close to classic status.

Now, if you would have said Bubblegum Crisis, that's debatable, but still classic (at least to me wink.gif).

Sere

Guest Mike256bit

I remember BGC. Unfortunately, I also remember BGC: 2040 Tokyo.

I think one of my favorite forgottens is Birdy. I really wish I could find some fanfiction for that.

And yeah! I remember finding the Rurouni Kenshin manga and loving it. Definitely not dead.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vampkitten27

There are still a lot of Sailor Moon fan fic writers out there. I see that Rurouni Kenshin has slowed down, which is a shame because it is a better series than Sailor Moon. I don't think InuYasha will ever slow down...(only character that was any good is Sesshoumaru ^.^ )

As for forgotten series, I don't think there are any. I usually write fanfics for series with low fan base, ex: The Twelve Kingdoms (aka Juuni Kokki) and GokuSen. I wish more people took time to check out other anime, they might find something they like other than what's popular.

Guest chibi4president

Yes, Sailor Moon was neat and all, and I liked it back in the day, but I agree that Rurouni Kenshin is better. More mature, deeper meaning. But I guess people would rather watch and write fanfic for a show with busty girls in short skirts (yes, I'm talking about Kiddy Grade too) than a show with real historical basis. It's sad, actually. The next time anyone sees Rurouni Kenshin, it'll be on the History Channel. Or PBS. rolleyes.gif

IT ISN'T FAIR!

laugh.gif

I have been and am into plenty other fandoms. RK is just the only thing I feel like writing fanfiction for. I don't know why, it's really weird. It's an "I didn't choose it, it chose me" sort of thing, I guess. I just think it would be weird--for me, anyway--to put the characters on Digimon (which by the way is another now-obscure fandom) in an adult situation and post it on aff.net. What are they, like, 10?

It could be worse, though. RK and Samurai Deeper Kyo could be feeling the hate and Fruits Basket could blow up. (God, I hope not!)

Guest vampkitten27

Know what is a great series and no body writes about it? Kaleido Star... Might be because the main character is like 16, but there is still supporting cast like Yuri, Ken and Layla, not to mention Leon in the second season.

Guest Big Samurai

Sailor Moon is unique in that it is basically responsible for a whole generation of 'ficcers, including myself. I will not say that it is better or worse than Rurouni Kenshin for the reason that each is a different type of anime. If you like semi-historical shounen with lots of ooo-ing and aaa-ing over the main character, watch RK. If you like modern shoujo with vaguely mythological undertones and just a dash of girl power, watch BSSM. ... I have watched both, though I am an avowed Moonie because that got to me first. I would consider neither series to be 'forgotten'.

If you want forgotten, try Devil Hunter Yohko or Samurai Executioner or ....

Guest chibi4president

Yeah, Big Samurai, now that you mention it, putting those two side by side is kind of like comparing oranges and apples, isn't it?

Why not bridge the gap? We're all Sailor Moon fans here...I'm thinking...CROSSOVER!!!

I shouldn't have used the word forgotten--I guess anime isn't like 80's one-hit wonders or even American TV shows, is it? (I mean, its not like it's 3rd Rock from the Sun. Now that's obscure. There's not even any reruns!) Maybe...series with a stagnant fandom, perhaps?

Oh, and out of curiosity, I did discover some hentai Digimon fanfiction. My first response was, ohmy.gifblink.gifohmy.gif ? But now I'm inspired to write some of my own--'course, it'll be on the very first season that aired in '99, but I've decided those kiddies aren't so juvenile after all, heh heh...or they won't be once I'm through with them.

I really appreciate all you guys' input on this topic. I seriously didn't expect this response!

• 1 month later...
Guest LadyNightshade
Thanks guys cool.gif

The show I'm talking about is Rurouni Kenshin....

ohmy.gif

Remember that? blink.gif

Way back when, eh? Like a year or two ago? laugh.gif

I really like these smiley thingys smile.gif

Again, thanks for your replies, and I'll get started on that RuroKen fic and post it soon...

Weh? You think Rouroni Kenshin is obscure?

laugh.gif

Hardly!

Guest Serenanna

Can't believe I missed this topic.

I'm with BS on this. I was, partially still am, and forever will be a moonie. I ain't getting rid of any of it, not my full manga artbook set and my complete original BSSM japanese manga set.

It started me on fanfiction too. I wrote my first non-lemon piece or it, and never posted it because it made every godawful mistake in the books. It also started me on lemons. I read Sexylyon's Interlude, and it was all down hill. I read through the old A Sailor Moon Romance lemon archive in months, read every damned thing. The only one I couldn't stomach was Artemis's Lover by Oscar, but I made it through the MSTing!

You know, surprisingly, I remember Demon Hunter Youko.

Anymore, I read more manga than I do anime if only because my brother holds it all hostage because he downloads it all for the both of us. v.v Brothers.

Really obscure anime, ok. Project Ako anyone?

Guest Big Samurai

Project A-ko is a hoot, and Devil Hunter Yohko is one of my old favorites. (Notice that the handsome dude that Yohko rescues in the first episode looks exactly like Mamoru from BSSM.) Both are on DVD nowadays, though they take a little work to find.

Outlaw Star has a fair amount of 'fic, but not nearly as much as the other two series in the 'space cowboy' trilogy, even though it has the most characters of the three.

I think I've plowed through most BSSM lemons currently in existence, and Interlude was one of the best, but Badgerman did one about Sailor Pluto and a well-done OC that wound up being very hot. It is part of the Secrets of the Sexy Slippers anthology, I think. (Old school!)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.