Click Here!

10 Nthings Every Good Missionary Should Know

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

This came about after talking to a friend of mine over a year ago and thought I'd post it here. It annoys me to no end when people do this while I'm talking to them, and so I made a list.

1. When trying to tell someone they are wrong, you can't use the 10 Commandments, Bible, Koran, Torah or any other supposed Holy text or laws. They have no weight. They do not (yet) believe in the same things as you.

2. You cannot use Hell to scare someone who doesn't believe that such a place exists.

3. You can't use Heaven to bribe a person who doesn't believe such a place exists.

4. The minute you call their people, or people they respect (this can apply to whole nations), "godless" because they don't have the same beliefs as you, you've lost them.

5. Acceptance and understanding should come in the case that you fail to convert them. The more you push, the less likely they are to agree with you. When they don't want to convert, don't ask stupid questions like "Don't they know we're trying to save their souls?" Of course they don't. To them, you're the one who's misguided. Not them. Duh.

6. Erase the words "blasphemy" and "sacrilege" from your vocabulary. Believe me. It will make this process much easier.

7. Rounding up a bunch of little kids and forcing them to go to military school is never a good idea.

8. Don't treat the people you're trying to convert like children. They'll resent you for it, and may very well show you up.

9. Why don't you try to learn about the people you're trying to convert? It may help, no? Not everything you don't understand about a religion or culture is Devil worship. You may be able to incorporate it into a new sect of you're religion and make them more apt to convert.

10. This is where many do wrong. Assuming that the people you are trying to convert aren't as passionate about their beliefs as you are. Difference does not equate faithlessness. Not everyone is going to convert the minute they hear about you're shiny, holy, merciful god or goddess or whatever. It's not a good idea. And, make sure you don't use phrases like "But that doesn't count because it's apart of that religion and not mine." BAD move.

Yay! I know some people who Ought to read that. Or at least, remember that they once believed it. Most people I know aren't pushy, but there are certain conversations I do not start with certain people.

A heart isn't ready until its ready. No use knowing religion in your head and no where else...

A heart isn't ready until its ready. No use knowing religion in your head and no where else...

My point exactly.

Guest Soulsearcher

All of those points are SO true. And I totally agree with your addition Melody. Show your faith, show how your faith works by living your life the way your faith teaches you to live,then when people come to you with questions, listen and answer to the best of your abilities. NEVER force your opinions on others, that is merely mental rape.

Guest lightgoddess
11: Show your faith by action rather than words.

Well said pixiagi and Melody. Sadly, lots of times, Common Sense has mysteriously vanished from those pushy types. (I figure their god smote him) As for living your faith, it freaks people out when you do that and they find out you aren't the same religion they are. lol

Guest suzanne_2006

I came from a family of total fanatics. Thank the gods my

parents and siblings were not. I know what it's like for an

uncle to tell you that you are a sinner and must repent.

My Dad told him not to come back to the house. I was

only eleven at the time.

Religious zealots are so often unkind with their

judgements and need an attitude check.

Thanks for this thread, pixagi! biggrin.gif