Click Here!

Should I do it or not?

Well, now it's about time to unveil that I have been here already, using another name. After my story had been flamed I quit and deleted all my posts.

Said story was really horrible. Well, the language was OK, I guess.

After I have read many forum posts as well as stories I have found out:

1. What people tell that they want to read differs from what they read.

2. Some published books contain a lot of stuff which I was told never to write, especially in fanfiction.

3. When I write, my first intention is to create just that one story I want to read which no one else has written yet.

From this, I concluded that I still should take constructive criticism and ponder about it, but otherwise I should write what I want! F*** the flamers.

Now to the question.

Once, I had a story here, a badfic. I only hope that my writing has improved since then, especially characterization and logic... still, if I would post it again, it would be a sign to the flamers/sporkers, that they didn't get me. On the other hand, the story WAS bad...

What would you do in my place?

Should I upload the badfic again?

If it was me then I wouldn't upload it. If it was an earlier piece that I'd written when my skills weren't as good as they currently are then I'd just see that earlier story as practice, an important stepping stone on my way to better writing. I certainly wouldn't upload it, and I doubt I'd even show it to friends, unless they REALLY wanted to read it. If I liked the plot, though, then I might try a rewrite.

Depends... Let me tell you a little story....

Over on Fanfic I got flamed hard after posting my tenth story. OUt of say, thirty different people who'd left reviews - only one of them flamed. After reading his 'author page' (never wrote a story, just brags on how many authors he'd 'chased' off) I concluded HE was an idiot! Therefor I went head-to-head with him, even wrote a story where I used the canons flaming other canons... Did I remove the story? Nope! It had no grammar issues, no spelling. HE simple just didn't like it! And when I asked other authors - he has the reputation of an annoying pest.

If you admit the grammar/spelling was horrid. Approach a Beta to go through it first. If it was the plot or the action - consider rewriting it. I encourage everyone to at least try to improve. And I do NOT approve of chasing anyone off, unless they're obviously trolls. (AKA purposely causing havoc with their non-stories)

Well, just to unload my two cents, I think you shouldn't let what the flamers say affect you either way. You shouldn't let it make you stop writing, and you shouldn't let it make you post a fic you're not proud of. If not posting it means that the flamers think that they "beat" you, so what? You know that you're not beaten, and that's what counts.

Thank you, you are right, of course.

I don't feel ashamed for that story, not any more. It was my first one, though, so of course it was far from being perfect. No need to publish a piece of writing practice...

I still like the idea of rewriting it or writing a similar scene with a better characterization and less logic errors.

• 2 weeks later...