Click Here!

Ugh, story block, not writer's block

Solaris

I'm working on my original story The Vampire Hunter. Right now I am at a part that has one of the enemy vampires explaining his plan to the Count and I'm totally stuck. I can move a little but it is forced moving.

I know something is not right as the story is not flowing so fast like it would with the other blocks. I may have to wait till tonight to talk with my other story writer about the story as I know something is not right with the story itself to have such a block on it.

I hate this when it happens.

So how do you handle a story block?

Beth

I spent too many hours on rewriting this story to delete it needlessly. I know something isn't right and I'm not sure how to break free from it. I am rereading the chapter to see if I can get the story going again. But that is hard.

Beth

Sounds like you wrote yourself into a corner. Some writing corners are subtler than others. You have places you want to go, but just aren't sure how to get from here to there.

Anyway, take a deep breath and...skip it. Don't do that part. Write a rough outline of how the conversation should go down, and move on. Eventually you'll find inspiration.

At least, that's how I handle such corners.

You mentioned having another person to talk about the story with, and I think that's probably the best thing to do, apart from just leaving it for a while and coming back to it. It would have to be someone whose opinion you can trust. Everyone has opinions, but not everyone is correct, so you'd have to be fairly confident that their views and opinions are similar to yours, otherwise they could try to steer you in a direction you really don't want to go with the story. I don't really have anyone like that, hence the frustration and deletions.

I plan on chatting with my co-writer who works with me on my other stories about this story and let her preview the story part and see if she sees what is wrong. She might see what I cannot see. B) But I have skipped that part for now, so I can move onto the other part of the story which is now finished, all but for that part of the book.

As soon as the scene is finished that I am having a hard time of, the whole rewrite of the story will be complete and ready for my editor to start working on it. When that is done, the book will be sent off to an author friend for some reading and she'll help me with finding an agent for the book and hopefully, this book will be published. :D

Beth

I expect to get a mention in the book then, if not a cut of the profits. :D lol

Considering that I'm going to blanket thank the site, if you want a more personal thanks, PM me your real name or just let me know which name you want to go by either your real name or your forum name?

Oh, I have even a better idea then just thanking you, how would you like to be one of the Princes/Princess or Lords/Ladies of one of the Houses that I have in my story, Melrick? And your forum name will be the name of that Prince/Princess or Lord/Lady?

Send me a PM, if you like the idea and I'll send you a list of the Houses that I have available for Princes/Princesses or Lords/Ladies and give me a bio of yourself as in height, eye color, hair, personality. I will probably lengthen your hair to shoulder length or longer. Style of dress you prefer as you would be one of the older Lords/Ladies or Princes/Princesses of the Houses. Which century dress would you prefer wearing. I may have my 3D graphic artist garb you in that attire just to show you what you would look like in the outfit.

Beth

I'm working on my original story The Vampire Hunter. Right now I am at a part that has one of the enemy vampires explaining his plan to the Count and I'm totally stuck. I can move a little but it is forced moving.

I know something is not right as the story is not flowing so fast like it would with the other blocks. I may have to wait till tonight to talk with my other story writer about the story as I know something is not right with the story itself to have such a block on it.

I hate this when it happens.

So how do you handle a story block?

Beth

Ask yourself various questions about the part that's holding you up, for example... why must every vampire tell his plans? Some vampires might wish to keep their plans secret, some might lie, tell half truths...or just be late for the meeting with the Count. The repetition of the situation might be boring your Muse. Give your Muse something exciting, so he/she is hopping with excitment... then see how many assorted plot bunnies you get. Good LUck, Cal

Ask yourself various questions about the part that's holding you up, for example... why must every vampire tell his plans? Some vampires might wish to keep their plans secret, some might lie, tell half truths...or just be late for the meeting with the Count. The repetition of the situation might be boring your Muse. Give your Muse something exciting, so he/she is hopping with excitment... then see how many assorted plot bunnies you get. Good Luck, Cal

Now that might be possible. I might have him lie at first to see if the others could detect that he is lying about it and have him reveal it after they press him about his lying. Since his House is of the warring faction of all seven Houses it is possible that he is lying about what is spoken about.

Beth

• 2 months later...
Guest pontaloon

if im stuck and just can't get the plot going in a story, i normally just stop trying. i leave the story for a few days and just live my life, then i look back on it with fresh eyes and hope that what i went through on those few days vacation will give me an idea