Click Here!

March Madness Review Replies and Discussion

DrunkenScotsman

This post is to open the thread, and to delineate some of the "behind the scenes" stuff that have gone/will go into this story.

First, I conceived of this idea a while ago, but I was in the midst of writing "First Times" and didn't want to distract myself from what I consider my magnum opus; further, I had a lot of other side projects at the time which required attention, as well as a demanding job. This year, I have fewer time constraints, and the timing worked out for me to at least attempt writing this story in sync w/ the NCAA tourney.

Second, I originally planned to write this story in such a way as to reflect the actual tournament outcomes: my wife and I would each fill out a bracket, and then I would write each chapter to reflect the results. Thus, even I wouldn't know what would happen in each chapter. This seemed like a bit of a logistical nightmare, from a writing standpoint, and more than a little unfair to Jubilee, since my wife doesn't follow basketball at all. One of the fun things about the tournament is that anyone can get lucky and do better than a supposed "expert" - heck, a friggin' octopus filled out a perfect bracket a few years back - but I decided to just plan things out like I normally would and write the story.

Third, unlike most of my other X-stories, I'm not too concerned with continuity or canon. This is unusual for me. The other "pairings" in the story were decided mostly on a whim (besides canon Jean/Scott and fan-preferred Kurt/Kitty). The story itself is a chance for me to write a story that focuses on characters who didn't get much love from the show-writers and who don't get many fanfics devoted to them.

Fourth, unlike my last few X-stories, which were broody or angsty pieces, this story is intended to be pretty much just for fun. It's about as close to PWP as you'll see me get; what I've got is what you might call an "excuse plot," where the plot is pretty thin and serves as just an excuse for sex to happen.

Edited by DrunkenScotsman

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

Do you take requests for less used pairings or something else?

Also I agree that seeing some of the less used characters in a more heartfelt setting would be nice, don't get me wrong your other work is an emotional rollercoaster to coin the phrase but it would be nice to see something a bit more romantic based like in your First time stories.

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

That's fair.

So pairings not seen much, this is a fan favorite but since I see little of it is Evo Kurt with Wanda (As far as a premise, what if when Toad and Kurt follow her he prevents Mastermind from altering her mind and saves her), Kurt and Boom Boom (Premise here, he convinces her to stay with the X-men and help her deal with her ass of a Father while she help him deal with Mystique) and finally Bobby with Amanda (Magma, can't think of a premise here except for something out of Lady and the tramp).

This one is out of left field but what if instead of having Evo Scott hook up with Jean, Rogue or have Emma appear he meets Psylocke and they hit it off?

Finally this is more of a Wolverine and the X-men deal, what if Hellion met the X-23 of his timeline and through their struggles to stop the Sentinels they bond?

That's all I got, thanks for taking the time to listen, PEACE!

I never watched Wolverine & the X-Men, so I'll have to take a pass on that last idea.

As for the others: you've got some neat ideas! I especially like the idea of creating an Evo-Psylocke, one without all the bizarre baggage that the mainstream one brings. That said, do you mean a Brit Psylocke or a Japanese one? I can even find some interesting ways to approximate both - Hong Kong was a British possession until the end of the 20th century, and I tutored a kid once whose parents had migrated to England from Japan.

I've kicked around the idea of writing a short follow-up one-shot to _First Times at Bayville High_ where Kurt and Wanda hook up. Would that interest you in lieu of your proposal? If not, that's fine; I do like your idea. It would just be more of a commitment and thus less likely to get written anytime soon.

The Kurt/Tabby one could be pretty sweet. Ditto the Iceman/Magma.

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

That's cool, it really was more based on a comic book version of them though the premise was much different, I didn't say anything about it because I figure you are more animated oriented as opposed to comic book based.

Well I was thinking of Japanese version, I mean she is beautiful, sensual and playful in either incarnation but I grew up with the Japanese version...in fact when I saw Risty on the show I was thinking that she would have made a pretty cool Betsy if they hadn't actually made her to be Mystique. Although that does give me an idea, what she actually was Betsy instead of Raven? I mean Raven could be anyone so you wouldn't need to cut her out of the picture but Risty could be altered to match Betsy don't you think?

So long as we get to see Wanda and Kurt hook up in both a emotional and physical level I would read it, I am in no rush if you feel like you can do the premise I set forth. I only set those because from reading your work I was interested in seeing what you would do with such an idea.

Yeah I feel like we see little to none of those two pairings...also I was thinking of perhaps having Ranhe and Jamie hook up (Ranhe stays at the Institute after the Sentinel attack) or, and I admit this is totally out of left field, what EVO X-23 did stay at the school and Jamie hooks up with her? I mean he is always implied to being with Rhane so why not switch up the ferals? Crazy but something incredible new and fresh I believe.

First of all I'd like to try to put you at ease with X-23. You told me the reason why you didn't like X-23. It's because she's a clone of a man, and that disturbs you. I totally get that, so maybe this will help.

I don't know how much you know about genetics so I'm going to try to be a little detailed without being overly complicated.

Question, what makes a boy? x chromosome + y= boy. Question, what makes a girl? x chromosome + x chromosome = girl.

Now if you wanted to genetically engineer a girl from a man you could remove the X chromosomes from two different cells insert them into a host ovum and get a baby girl.

Another way is what's called binary cloning you can take an X chromosome from a male cell inject that into an unaltered ovum from a woman and create a binary clone baby girl that would have both the man and the woman's DNA. Either way both children would actually be 100% female without any gender bending issues.

personally I think EVO.X-23 is unbearably cute! And I think her name should be Eve, considering how she was created. I would love to see you include her in your stories!

When it comes to unusual pairings, I like the idea of putting Wanda/Kurt together especially from your first times story, but I also really want to see Wanda/Rahne, and especially Kurt/Rahne , but I also want to see Wanda/Jubilee! all from your first times storyline.

But to be honest, however you could pull those pairings off, I would be there to read the story!

p.s. I hope I've managed to change your feelings about X-23 because I would really! really! Like to see you write about her as well.

I understand the science of getting a female clone from a male. I just thought (think) that the character concept was/is kinda lame. I think maybe the writers of Evolution were trying to make a "Wolverine-lite" type character who could also hang out with the other teenager characters, though that latter part never materialized within the series. I also didn't much care for the character design in Evolution; she didn't look at all like Wolverine OR the woman who donated her ovum. (She also looked too much like Amara, but that's more a criticism of Evolution's art style and character design more generally.)

That said, I like X-23's character design in mainstream continuity a little better - I have a thing for Goth girls, which is why I love Evolution's designs for Rogue and Wanda - so I won't say I'll _never_ write a story involving her.

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

I have to agree on her design, when I compare her to her 616 counterpart I have to say I was disappointed. She looks like a smaller Amara and then there was her attitude, little appearance and character development...I honestly could not find the same enjoyment I did with the comic book version. She does make the Goth work for her,

Well, thanks for listening to my ideas, I am glad you liked them and I hope they do help you out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

There is one request I wish to make but I don't know how you would feel about it since its based in the comic book X-men rather than the Evo cast.

I've written a few comic-based stories; I stick with Evo primarily b/c I've seen the whole series. I've only read a handful of stories from the early to mid 90s - my X-Men fandom was caused by the 90s cartoon, which distilled a few of the major storylines into season-long or half-season arcs. So the X-Men roster from that show is who I think of as the "main cast" (plus Colossus and Nightcrawler), and I'd need to (and be willing to) research anyone outside that.

TL;DR Go right ahead, but if you pick obscure characters I won't know who they are.

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

First off thanks once more for taking the time to hear me out, really appreciate it.

Second I get where you're coming from, the 90's cartoons set me on my path to read comics and I try to keep up with the shows if they show promise.

Anyway, the characters for this are anything but obscure.

So here is what I have, something that always bugged me was the overabundance of Jean with either Logan or Scott pairings, occasionally I would find ones with Warren or Gambit and even Beast (I rather not count the ones with Emma if you don't mind) but there is one I never found and I think you would agree deserves to a least be done once. And that pairing is Iceman and Phoenix, they have as much history as she did with Hank, Warren or Scott but it is never taken beyond the brotherly/friendship stage...the closest I came to seeing that was a oneshot where when they are young (not the time travelers mind you) he sees her coming out of the pool and all at once she is hit by the feelings love he tries so hard to hide from her.

So that got me thinking on a What if? Scenario if you will, what if Jean either survived the fake Magneto's attack or she was the one they found and not Colossus

(or with him as I would prefer) at that lab. Well Scott still stays with Emma either because he chooses to or because of the psychic impulse she gave him to make him choose Emma, she naturally feels like she doesn't belong at Xaviers as well as a feeling of loss and decides to leave for the time being.

Now Bobby chooses to go with her because he feels she needs someone now more than ever as well as perhaps problems with Lorna and feeling jilted he is not as included in the team. Well they do the road trip thing for a while and in one occasion where she gets a bit of a break down that make's her question her worth (sadly had this happen to a friend of mine after her boyfriend cheated on her...took us a while to make sure she was going to be ok) and Bobby just confesses to her all his feeling and she takes it further and reads his mind...romance ensues and whether or not you would keep them together is up to you.

So there you have it...thanks once more for your time.

That's an interesting idea for a story! You're quite right that there aren't many Bobby/Jean stories out there. I'll add this idea to my (lengthy) list of stories to write. In the interim, I'll give you this sneak peek for "March Madness": Bobby and Jean will get a short scene in a future full chapter.

Edited by DrunkenScotsman

Guest Harbinger_of_Kaos

Cool, will keep an eye out.

And I hope to see what you come up with in regards to that idea, we could use more diversity.

Another thought I had is why is always Jubilee in the comicverse who gets paired with him? I mean what about Annie? Polaris? Rogue? Heck even Mystique. I mean why is it either here or they go slash with him and Warren, Jean Paul or Hank...I mean is variety so hard to accept? I just don't get it.

That's a good question. I know that, regarding het romances, Jubilee/Bobby is a go-to because they had chemistry in the one episode of the 90s cartoon where Iceman showed up. And they had a few ship-worthy moments in Evo. I guess that, in general, their goofy-teenager personalities go well together? (shrug)

As for the slash pairings, your guess is good as mine. I don't see the appeal of dude-slash (yaoi) as a rule, though.

Thanks once more to my reviewers for your thoughtful feedback!

MM616: Nice pun. Rest assured, there will be a sexy finale. :D

Daye: You're quite right about your little loophole. Now to see if Bobby's smart enough to realize that. (Probably not.) I was really on the fence about whether a straightforward scenario (Bobby won the bet and Jubilee puts out) would be more or less interesting than what I got (Bobby's self-inflicted frustration); glad to know you're enjoying this outcome!

Aysha: It would suck to lose a bet like that. As Jubilee warned him beforehand, though, big risk for a big reward (getting into her pants).

Discord: Welcome aboard, sir or madam! I'm glad you too are enjoying this story's direction. As a native North Carolinian, I know all too well the depth and intensity of the loyalty of college hoops fans, particularly regarding the teams based in the Triangle (Duke, UNC, NC State). Therefore, I recognize that your comment, that this situation would make a life-long Duke fan such as yourself hate your team, is high praise indeed. My humblest thanks!

Guest Guest

Hello, sorry to bother you but something came up recently and I am having trouble reconciling with it and could use anothers opinion on the matter.

I don't know how much you follow of recent events in the comics but recently the time displace Iceman is outted as being gay and accepting it. Now my problem isn't him being gay, I accept characters such as Northstar, Prodigy, Wiccan and Hulkling as both gay and bisecual characters...in fact I approve of that aspect of social dynamics is explored and included in today's comics.

My problem is that it feels too sudden and poorly handled, if it had been a slow build up I could appreciate it but having this come out on the eve of a major retcon feels forced in my opinion. I mean I have friends who upon learning and accepting there orientation were nervous and scared and therefore drawing on that the interaction showed didn't feel real to me. I mean I can't believe that young Bobby just accepts Jean's words without lashing out for both being called out on it and the blatant violation of his privacy, it doesn't click for me even though throughout the whole series she has been portrayed as constantly abusing her T and having others call her out on it but never learning to stop.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Marvel execs and other say there were always hints of this in the character's history, but were there really? I mean it's one thing to have crappy luck with women but it's another to say it was a front to hide his orientation and I don't see the connection between the two. And what worries even more is that Bendis possible attempts to explain why the past version is gay but the present version isn't won't be handled well and just leave me even more frustrated...Marvel's recent history with their handling of characters gives me the impression that good story telling isn't on the menu.

I don't know, am I just making a bigger scene than necessary or is my worry valid?

I saw the news and reproductions of the pertinent pages. I've never really followed comics all that closely - too much to catch up on, plus the continual expenditures, not to mention the sheer number of other things I have to read at any given time. Your post says a lot of what I felt/feel, for whatever that's worth. To wit:

- Doesn't make a ton of sense for this particular character, based on what I know of character's history

- Exciting that a fairly iconic character is out as LGBT... sort of...? (due to the time-wimey ball thing going on - I thought that whole plotline was/is dumb, having read about it)

- Frustrated that the character was outed by another character, rather than by the gay character's own choice

- Frustrated that a character ostensibly from the 60's would accept such a pronouncement so calmly, even from a friend

- Frustrated that said friend, also from 60's, would be so accepting (not impossible, but it was a very, very different time; as much static as LGBT folks get now, they're way more accepted than they were even 20 years ago, much less 50)

I also wonder, based on the examples you gave... are ALL of Marvel's gay characters gay men? Northstar, Iceman, Ultimate Colossus... I don't know the rest that you listed, so I'm curious about who the lesbians and bisexuals (male and female) are, if there are any. (There's Mystique, I guess, though sexuality for a shapeshifter is even more fluid than for most people.)

TL;DR I don't really know what to make of it, exactly. I'm still processing.

Guest Guest

Confirmed thus far are Wiccan, Hulkling, Anole, Graymalkin, Northstar and his husband as gay and as Bi we have Prodigy, Daken, Mystique and Black Cat.

Bendis is going to screw us over on this, I can feel it, he will not give a decent explanation on why the present day Bobby was into women as opposed to look for companionship with another man.

But changing the subject, any news on March Madness? I do so would like to see how far Jubilee will push this before he cracks.

Guest Harbinger_of_kaos

Hmm, I fear for Jubilee, I see no way she will ever walk straight ever again after Bobby is done with her. One thing though, if Jean is monitoring him...well I think the question here is rather obvious.

Guest Harbinger_of_kaos

Hmm, I fear for Jubilee, I see no way she will ever walk straight ever again after Bobby is done with her. One thing though, if Jean is monitoring him...well I think the question here is rather obvious.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.