Click Here!

Anyone Ever Been In This Situation?

shinigamiinochi

Have you ever wanted to change your story just to make someone else happy? I have a reviewer that's been very faithful towards Solstice, but his/her last review stated that she loved a certain character and she made a few other predictions. I'm the type of person that I have to make the people I don't hate happy, so when she/he said that, I felt really bad, because I've had the plot fleshed out for a long time now and I don't have the heart to tell them that this favorite character is going to die and all those predictions are going to happen in much darker ways than they think. While, at the same time I feel bad about hurting the characters she's grow to like, I also realize that the plot I set out is necessary for the story and I'm just torn.

I know how you feel. When you know that someone is enjoying your story you want to do everything you can to make them enjoy it even more. But if something is important to the plot you already have planned out you shouldn't change it to make one person happy.

But of course that being said, plots can be changed. I've changed the direction of something when my feelings on the subject changed. The tricky part is to make what you change still work with what you already have written. I'm very good at that though so if you need help just send me a pm.

But honestly, if you change it, it should be because you yourself want to. The story is your baby.

Hi,

As Green said it sort of depends on the situation...I have had two stories where I had some very constructive and fun reviewers and they actually guided my story in a direction I wasn't thinking. It wasn't necesarily that I was trying to please them 100%, but that they got me (as an author) to think of a direction I hadn't seen before and I though, "Ah ha! That works just fine!"

My other story where I did this was one I DID kind of challenge myself to write what the masses wanted. I was planning the story to go one way, but when several people began mentioning a certain character and they wanted him to do this or that, I privately thought to myself "This could be a challenge, let me try this and see what happens. If I don't like where it's going I can go with my original plan."

When (or if!) you ever plan to write professionally, editors and publishers are going to be ruthless to you. They will tell you they hate A,B or C storyline or character, or want you to change this characters name, or add to this scene or completely delete 20 pages of story you had. If you want to sell your work, you have to work with them. (unless you are going to self publish or you are just doing this for fun).

I did have one story where I had GREAT reviews, in fact with each chapter I put up I had like 6 reviews asking for the story to go this direction or that...But it got to be too much. Fan A wanted this, Fan B wanted something else, and Fan C wanted the story to go yet a 3rd direction, Fan D complained they didn't like where the story was going or it wasn't what they expected.

I finally just threw a quick author note in there and told them to "calm down" the story was going to go the direction I had planned and that I appreciated their reviews but to be paitent and just READ the story and let them see where it took them.

So, to make my long winded post finished, I guess the real answer is you need to decide if you feel or have plans for the story going in the direction your reviewers are asking. If the answer is "No" or you have a definate story arc you are on then just write it how you want. There is always going to be someone who is disappointed in what you write or not like it, but unless they are paying you a check for your work, they can just relax and read what you put out. :(

Good luck!

Warmly,

Kanashii

I've never altered the direction or outcome for any of my stories to appease a fan. It is, after all, my story. If I was writing something on spec (a challenge with very specific criteria) that would be different. Look at it this way; have you ever read a novel where you hated the direction it took or the finale? You can't contact the author and say "change the ending, thanks." I say, if you truly believe in your vision, stay with it.

Guest Rosemarius

unfortuntely I've never really been in such a pushy situation (ex: a very affectionate reader asking me something specific) ...but I will say that: Keep their will as an advice, and not as law. I've received a review not so much time ago which pointed out something I hadn't thought. I still don't know if I will do as the reviewer say, but I realize she has a good point, and I will strongly consider it.

On the other hand, I also got a review asking me for a specific scene. That doesn't get in my priority list. It is MY story that I'm writing, after all, not theirs.

So...hope this helps...somehow

• 5 weeks later...
Have you ever wanted to change your story just to make someone else happy? I have a reviewer that's been very faithful towards Solstice, but his/her last review stated that she loved a certain character and she made a few other predictions. I'm the type of person that I have to make the people I don't hate happy, so when she/he said that, I felt really bad, because I've had the plot fleshed out for a long time now and I don't have the heart to tell them that this favorite character is going to die and all those predictions are going to happen in much darker ways than they think. While, at the same time I feel bad about hurting the characters she's grow to like, I also realize that the plot I set out is necessary for the story and I'm just torn.

Tragedy is a crown, it might just make your reviewer feel even better about the character.