Click Here!

Difficulty posting chapters/stories

Entrisic

Let's see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

I post only in the original section of Adultfanfiction.net. I've been doing so on-and-off since December and had no problem until a couple weeks ago. I tried posting a new story and the first step worked fine-putting in the title, rating, warnings, summary, etc.

Generally I choose to use the text option instead of uploading. So I clicked on that, got the normal open field to place the story text in. I did so, and went on to preview the story. That's where things got weird-large chunks of text suddenly vanished like someone had randomly highlighted parts and then hit the delete button.

Example;

"Mary kicked the ball (two paragraphs deleted) sadly died from car accident."

The problem remains when the story is also published-it's not just a fluke on the preview page.

I figured something was off about my coding as I use italics quite a bit. I went back and reviewed all of them-nope, not the italics code. Tried it again. Same problem. Tried it without any coding at all. Same problem.

Went back and decided to upload the chapter and still the same problem. That night I gave up in frustration (it was fairly late, probably was 12 AM) and tried again the next day. Suddenly it worked like magic.

Since then I've updated about three-four times, and this problem seems to happen late at night (even later editing of a chapter that was posted successfully ends up in large pieces of text being deleted again). So I simply tried to avoid updating and editing after a certain time-but five minutes ago I tried to upload in broad daylight and encountered the same problem.

Just in case-like mentioned, I post in the Original section, mostly in either Romance or Slash. (My web browser is the newest version of Mozilla Firefox.) The average size of the text is usually anywhere from 3,000 words to 4,000 words and contain no strange/unusual characters or coding apart from the occasional italic code.

I'm not even sure if its the site or my browser, but if anyone's got any suggestions or information, I'd really appreciate any help.

Guest DarkAvenger
I'm not one of the techs, so I can't confirm any of this. Still, I have a few possible theories.

- Perhaps there's a traffic issue. If you're trying to load a chapter at the same time as a huge number of others, you may encounter an issue based on that.

- Have you tried using the <p>paragraph</p> tag? You say you use coding, but you haven't mentioned if you use this type of coding. Sometimes if you enter new paragraphs simply by pressing "Enter" twice to create a new blank line, text goes missing. At least, that's what happened to me. The <p> tag fixed the issue that time.

- Do you type the chapter directly into the text box or do you copy-and-paste? The time limit on the log-in session could cause errors, especially if you use the first method. Type the code directly into the application where you first type out the chapter, then copy and paste the whole thing. That may fix the error.

A tech can comment on these suggestions and work around the Firefox angle if there's any issues there.

Traffic issues would cause page load errors, not random missing text.

The pressing enter button only doesn't work if you already have <p> tags in your coding.

There is no time limit on the login session anymore unless you log out yourself, it is one year long. Somehow I doubt it takes one year to post a story, lol.

I will answer in the following post.

Guest DarkAvenger

Do you have &&&& in there anywhere? If you do, then delete it and try again.

Do you have a < without a > following it? If you do, then anything after the < until it hits a > is taken out. I know people have a habit of putting <3 for a heart in or <.< for a face or whatever.

If neither of those is the problem, do the following:

Send an email to tech@adult-fanfiction.org that contains the chapter in question and a link to the chapter itself on the site and a copy of your post here in the forums, so that I remember it is you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.