Click Here!

Gem Games Arc Author Notes and Review Responses

sumeragichan

Author's notes

Okay, this is sort of a intro/character guide to the gem game arc… or the arc that has Diamond in it. Or in other words, the story arc that starts of with Running the Gauntlet. Basically, RtG deals with three tellurians who are taken from their home against their will, and is told through Diamond's point of view. Thus, it does tend to be seen through her biases and feelings. This story idea was started back five, six, seven years ago and has evolved much since it's conception. So, as I progress with my learning, it still changes all the more. For the most part, it'll be action/adventure, with a touch of humor and sarcasm. However, I am hoping to explore some more philosophical things in this too, just a bit, since it's almost a prologue to the Gem Game arc, or it's very beginning. So, every now and then, the style will seem to change, but I guess it's to be expected. There will be several cameo appearances by characters in the Star Wars continuity and extended time lines that is considered the most "cannon" just after the movies. Yes, I'm even in time hoping to explore the villain's psyche through the ever changing perspective of that of a not quite mature, but maturing teenager in some scenes as the arc goes onto it's fruition. We all do have to grow up sometimes- I guess.

Anyway, onto the original characters so far introduced.

Diamond Berchange

15 at start

From

A south-eastern part of her country

Miscellaneous

She has curly auburn hair with blue eyes and fair skin. Plus is fairly spirited. She's the narrator of the story for the most part as the story is told through her eyes. In time, more is revealed about her. As a side note- Diamond is not her real name. It is actually just a nickname given a hasty last name.

Courtney Du'pre

19 at start

From

A south-eastern part of her country

Miscellaneous

Strawberry blond with brown eyes. Is actually a distant cousin to diamond and Mitchel's ex-girlfriend. Both she and diamond are short

Mitchel Keats

18 at start

From

A south-eastern part of his country

Miscellaneous

Dark, tall, and fairly good looking. Courtney's ex-boyfriend and a friend to both her and Diamond.

Merolin

30'ish

From

Telluria, presumable an Inglish speaking part of it, possibly country of origin debatable at this point.

Miscellaneous

Translator, will find more about him as story goes on, but is average looking with brownish-blond hair and hazel eyes.

Aurelius

50'ish

From

Telluria, several hundreds of years in its past as compared to Merolin. His native tongue has yet to be discussed.

Miscellaneous

A kind seeming man who once was a solider for a great empire in Telluria's past. He now serves as an instructor to help others adjust to their new environment. A job that both causes him great pain and sorrow as many of those he teaches do not survive for long periods of time. He possesses a near Etruscan look about him with olivine skin, hazel-green eyes, and dark brown hair.

Mystery Hallway Man

Apparent Mid-twenties

From

PossiblyTellurian from an unknown period and location, only his accent seems to be relatively close sounding to Mitchel, Courtney, and Diamond. Any other information has yet to be determined.

Miscellaneous

A somewhat odd fellow who seems to have a thing for appearing out of nowhere and being cryptic. Also a bit of an ass it seems. No one else has yet to acknowledge seeing him, so it’s hard to tell if he is real or just a rather mouthy figment of Diamond’s imagination. Other than this he seems to be a bit shorter than some of the other guys around him, still taller than Courtney or Diamond. His hair seems to be a darker brown with almost hazel-toned golden eyes. His skin tone is a bit paler but almost a touch hard to distinguish. So far he seems almost non-discript in dressing habits and appearance. This could still just be proof of him not being real.

General Information

Telluria is set in a different part of the universe, it's location as of this point is unknown if it is in the unknown regions or deep within the galactic core. As a result, scientific progress has varied in each area as well as how the force settles in and communicates with the different natives of each area and planet. For years each has lived thinking the other is no more than a figment of the imagination, until an inexplicable phenomenon brought Tellurians to their part of the cosmos, however, the time period and travels through the waves differ. This thusly alters some history, as it is known, by introducing the concept of "channels" or those who could increase the force capacity in others to the Jedi and dark Jedi, and Siths. Telluria itself is based on Earth, so for convenience sake a lot of terminology will remain similar for sake of familiarity and sanity preserving on the part of this author. However a few odd spellings and roots of words will be used.

Review Replies

Currently None

Edited by Hopebringer Jem

• 4 months later...

Review Responses

RogueMudBlood

I'm glad you enjoyed it! So, to go with the chapter by the chapter analysis. Verra helpful by the way. Thank you so very much! :hug:

-Chapter one

I will reassure there are coming of age elements at the core of RtG. She's just a young fifteen if that makes any sense at all- the point where you are still scared enough to want to hide behind your parents but just old and wanting enough independence to not want to admit to that. It's a whole insecurity of the age that I wanted to at least show. The awkward, normal and slightly sheltered kid that she really is... I suppose I'd have to ask a mother of a teen to probably help me explain that a bit better. Still she will grow up! Stupidity is wasted on the youth as perspective of age. I'm still proud I managed to get the "thirty-isn't-old" face as well! I'm edging towards it myself but I did start this story back when I was a senior in high school. A little while ago I refound my copies and cringed at the wording and a few characterizations. So I went back and decided to rework it from scratch.

I will admit I wanted to show how utterly alien everything was to her, so writing those reactions to Vader were the most enjoyable part. It was just the things I always thought someone meeting him for the first time would wonder or think. He is one of the more enigmatic characters to write for. Gotta love those hypocrites at the end of the day.

To be honest, there was no miscalculation or accident that they did to cause it... The Empire just doesn't want to admit it has no fucking idea how they got dragged there or why. They don't really care enough to find out since they think it will cost more to find out than it's worth in the end. That's the only reason they haven't tried to find out. More about it will be revealed in further parts of the Gem Game Arc stories, I promise.

Also as for what the Emperor couldn't do... Are you so sure it's her and not Courtney they may be talking about? :devil: I'm actually curious on what you think about this as well.

-Chapter two

Typos! Sorry 'bout that I'm still waiting on my poor betas to be able to get to it. Moonlight Sonata has poor Kelza busy and LadyMoonStone has had some IRL issues that definitely outweigh my typed at five in the damn morning stories. So I apologize for those little things that pop on me all the damn time. :rofl: I'll go back and try to fix that a bit. I'll probably have to fix the Hethrir sentence a bit to make it fit better as well, but it was meant to contrast and compare how things were here. This place is hell for those seen as non-human. I really want to show that with out going too far too quick.

As for the Jedi, this is starting at 9 mo. before A New Hope so there's not many left in the open. Some are hiding and the Valley of the Jedi is an easter egg from one of the Dark Forces game. It's an old site...

Yes Vader is aware of the tablet, but Vader has bigger things to worry about than some site that is nigh near difficultly impossible to find. Another one of the Emperor's lackeys is and wanted to know. Although, any guesses on who Red was? She is another cameo (as is Hetherir) so.... XD I'd just like to see what people think as it goes. I blame it on being a Dungeon Master really.

I'm glad she's still interesting at this point, she's supposed to be changing as it goes but she's from a relatively normal life as were Mitchel and Courtney. I truly want them to have Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court feel in that they could seem as if they were people next door before all this happened. Hopefully they'll all remain interesting. Also what teenager is ever fully open with themselves really?

-Chapter three

Ah yes, our mystery man... Is he friend or foe? What the hell is he doing? Is he even real? *grins* He took a while to develop his voice. I may eventually write a fic from his point of view later if he keeps his enigma about him.

Well I will admit the person at the arena is a cameo reference to someone. One vote for Anakin. It does seem that Vader is almost nicer to her for some reason.... Although one has to wonder what Vader's reasons ever are really... :shifty:

Chapter Four

She gets caught off guard a little too easily, but she's a bit spacey at times. It's why she can be fun to write for still at this age. Hasn't learned to ALWAYS be aware yet. As for her force ability, yep! This girl doesn't have the slightest clue she's doing something when she actually does manage it. Still, I'm glad you like how the changes register of how it goes. There is no horrible background music and the technical aspects of lighting and heat work just fine honestly. They aren't lying when they say she's the only one who ever notices them normally.

As for Vader, he has his plans and he's a busy man. He can't always keep looking over his underling's shoulders. Has all those things to do and people to kill, threaten, maim, interrogate into line for Palpatine. A rough job all in all. I'll probably try to show and explain a bit more as it goes on but... Vader always keeps his own council on matters nowadays. Sometimes he doesn't bother to explain it to the poor author except to say he has his reasons. Now do what he said or face his disappointed anger. :rofl:

I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. Chapter five is in the works and this will end up progressing into other stories as well. There will be other points of view in other stories to help flesh out the deck of cards.... That's probably the best part of writing this one. The narrator doesn't have a full deck to work with and almost everyone else around her does. Too bad she hasn't quite realized that yet... :devil:

-Chapter one

It's a whole insecurity of the age that I wanted to at least show. The awkward, normal and slightly sheltered kid that she really is...

You managed this very well!

I'm still proud I managed to get the "thirty-isn't-old" face as well!

And so you should be :yes:

I will admit I wanted to show how utterly alien everything was to her, so writing those reactions to Vader were the most enjoyable part. It was just the things I always thought someone meeting him for the first time would wonder or think. He is one of the more enigmatic characters to write for. Gotta love those hypocrites at the end of the day.

Yes, and that's what makes his cameos so good; she's having honest, innocent reactions to him, and it makes the characterization so much more believable.

To be honest, there was no miscalculation or accident that they did to cause it... More about it will be revealed in further parts of the Gem Game Arc stories, I promise.

Oh good! This was a little thread that you dangled out that there that I was waiting for you to tug on. :D

Also as for what the Emperor couldn't do... Are you so sure it's her and not Courtney they may be talking about?

Am I sure? No. Do I get that impression? Yes. Courtney's too much of what they want her to be. She's too easily swayed to the dark side. Diamond, on the other hand (and do we ever learn her real name? Don't tell me! Well, not here - I'll find out as I read :D) ... Diamond is too much of a wildcard.

Typos! Sorry 'bout that

Just wanted you to know they were there. The name bits were the only ones that made me pause as I had to go back to determine whether I had been giving him the wrong name in my mind the whole time :D

I'll probably have to fix the Hethrir sentence a bit to make it fit better as well, but it was meant to contrast and compare how things were here. This place is hell for those seen as non-human. I really want to show that with out going too far too quick.

I can understand that. Your beta may have a different perspective on it, when she has a chance to read it over.

As for the Jedi, this is starting at 9 mo. before A New Hope so there's not many left in the open. Some are hiding and the Valley of the Jedi is an easter egg from one of the Dark Forces game. It's an old site...

Oh, but her reactions - the contrast in culture - attitude - that she'll encounter... I'll wait patiently for it :D

Edited by RogueMudblood

It does not like so many quote blocks ... trying again...

Although, any guesses on who Red was? She is another cameo (as is Hetherir) so.... XD I'd just like to see what people think as it goes. I blame it on being a Dungeon Master really.

No guesses on her yet - I admit to only really being familiar with the movies in this fandom, so I'll have to brush up on the other lore before I can give you anything on her identity.

I'm glad she's still interesting at this point, she's supposed to be changing as it goes but she's from a relatively normal life as were Mitchel and Courtney. I truly want them to have Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court feel in that they could seem as if they were people next door before all this happened. Hopefully they'll all remain interesting. Also what teenager is ever fully open with themselves really?

It does have the feeling of complete misplacement for Diamond. So far, of Mitchel, he's an ass. Granted, my perception is colored by Diamond's perspective... but he's an ass.

Courtney, on the other hand... well, whether it's Diamond wanting to perceive her as being torn, or her actually being torn is yet to be determined. :P

Ah yes, our mystery man... Is he friend or foe? What the hell is he doing? Is he even real? *grins* He took a while to develop his voice. I may eventually write a fic from his point of view later if he keeps his enigma about him.

I look forward to more on him.

It does seem that Vader is almost nicer to her for some reason.... Although one has to wonder what Vader's reasons ever are really...

Yes, yes we do have to wonder ....

This girl doesn't have the slightest clue she's doing something when she actually does manage it. Still, I'm glad you like how the changes register of how it goes. There is no horrible background music and the technical aspects of lighting and heat work just fine honestly. They aren't lying when they say she's the only one who ever notices them normally.

Except for hallway-guy... He hears it too... But seriously, I do like that aspect of it. Full deck or not, it certainly makes it interesting. And I did love the allergic reaction bit - had me snickering for a good ten minutes, even as I went off to make dinner :lol:

There will be other points of view in other stories to help flesh out the deck of cards.... That's probably the best part of writing this one. The narrator doesn't have a full deck to work with and almost everyone else around her does. Too bad she hasn't quite realized that yet...

I'm looking forward to it!

The trickiest part of character portrayal is getting the age right, admittedly, and there's nothing like a funny typo to make ya giggle at times. XD;; Vader is still one of the most interesting characters to write for as he's just so.... Vader-ish? The thread will be covered a bit more, even hinted at how long it has been going on. Mr. Hallway Mystery Fellow will take his sweet time in giving more up, but that's another story almost.

Yes, Mitchel is a gigantic ass-hat at times and will probably not get better in this environment... but he was a drum-major in a marching band prior if that explains anything. >;-D Still, he has his reasons, hopefully Di's perspective will let me show some of these later- or I'll end up doing a quick story from his point of view later on. I personally feel that Courtney is a bit weak-willed in comparison to both of them, but she's just trying to survive and keep all of them alive really. Fight, flight, or adapt instinct I suppose on all of them possibly...

Also, the Valley of the Jedi is a monument to a battle fought over 1,000 years ago where hundreds of Jedi and Sith alike died when a thought bomb with off. It's one of the great Force Nexi around the setting, so it can be a great asset to Jedi or Sith alike. The Jedi build a monument to the fallen at the site, but the force of the bomb that went off destroyed many of the hyperspace lanes that even went near it. So no living Jedi, but Dark Forces dealt with it more. Still, she'll eventually met Jedi and what not as it goes on. I still have to work up through to the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

However, there will be several stories to help cover up to there, so I'll admit that's why I thought calling it the Gem Games Arc made more sense since she'll be the narrator for several of them. More is on the way, as soon as I can finish this next chapter... Death Stars, Death Stars, Death Star, and espionage.... Also, more insane people or is Di the one going insane? :devil:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.