Click Here!

[tech Update] - Disclaimer Field

Guest DarkAvenger

Guest DarkAvenger

A required disclaimer field has been added to all categories of the fiction site.

This means that no new stories can be added without a disclaimer. The process of adding a disclaimer when you post a brand new story is exactly like how you presently fill in the summary field. If you do not fill in the disclaimer field, you will be redirected to a page with an error telling you to do so. (Please note that all new stories need to include both parts of the disclaimer when posting. The I do not own part and the i do not profit part.)

All stories posted to the site as of 8pm, November 3, 2006 have been given a default disclaimer (it differs slightly in wording depending on the category) so that we can un-hide all of the stories that were hidden due to lack of disclaimers after we began requiring them in October of 2005.

The originals section of the site does not currently have a default disclaimer added to each story. This is because it is at the discretion of the author as to if they wish to post a disclaimer there or not. We highly recommend putting a disclaimer in there telling readers that the story/characters are yours and not to steal them. Unless you wish for others to use your story/characters, in which case, you could put that information in the disclaimer field. You can also simply put a hyphen in the field if you feel no disclaimer is needed in the original section only.

If you currently have a story, you can log in, go to edit details, select that story, and you will see that the disclaimer is available to be edited if you so desire. So, if you want to, you can modify the standard disclaimer that I have put on all of the stories on the site so that it is unique to your own story.

This has made the lives of quite a few of our staff members VERY much easier, as they only need to patrol the new stories posted to the site for lack of complete disclaimers. They were having to go through every single story on the site, one by one, to see if disclaimers had been added. (If I'm being too subtle, I mean please don't bitch, whine, or moan at us for this, it's in both our best interest, and yours, so you don't get your butts sued off by someone and our work load is reduced. Okies? Thank you. happy.gif)

You will notice that the disclaimer appears at the top of each chapter of your story. This is because of how the coding for the site works. You will only have to add the disclaimer ONCE though, when you originally post the story.

--

~Dark Avenger

Moderator & Head Tech

I get it now. It's to help with routine checks. My questions still remain: Is it necessary to put the disclaimer at the very top of the chapter, or can I put it right under information such as the title, genres, warnings, and full summary?

Hmm... I don't think leaving a dash for the first chapter of a fanfic and then putting it below the other basic info would be accepted. Would it be all right if I put in:

The disclaimer is included right below the full summary. Please scroll down.
Just to show that I did remember to include a disclaimer when the mods are doing their rounds?

The thing is, I tend to put in long and detailed disclaimers. They're often more than one paragraph long. This means that there's not enough room in the disclaimer field for me to type in my full disclaimer.

Guest Big Samurai

This is certainly useful! Thank you, DA.

cool.gif

Is it all right if I have a separate disclaimer in the body of a story, too? I hate to say it, but I kinda like personalizing mine. I mean, I'll still be happy to keep the required one, of course, but I've gotten so inured to doing disclaimers over the years that it'd be freaky not to do one. ... Does that make any sense?

Guest DarkAvenger
Is it all right if I have a separate disclaimer in the body of a story, too? I hate to say it, but I kinda like personalizing mine. I mean, I'll still be happy to keep the required one, of course, but I've gotten so inured to doing disclaimers over the years that it'd be freaky not to do one. ... Does that make any sense?

You can personalize the standard one that went into all fics, by going to Edit Story, Edit Details, then erase the disclaimer that is in the Disclaimer box and enter the disclaimer you wish to use in that field.

If you'll notice, on my story, here - http://inu.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?n...09739&chapter=5 there is the disclaimer that was added to the entire site and then a second disclaimer that I personally added, in the actual text of my story.

So, basically, the answer is, two disclaimers is perfectly fine. We just wanted to ensure there was at least one on every story. (There were over 3000 stories hidden throughout the site for lack of disclaimers.)

Guest DarkAvenger
I get it now. It's to help with routine checks. My questions still remain: Is it necessary to put the disclaimer at the very top of the chapter, or can I put it right under information such as the title, genres, warnings, and full summary?

Hmm... I don't think leaving a dash for the first chapter of a fanfic and then putting it below the other basic info would be accepted. Would it be all right if I put in:

The disclaimer is included right below the full summary. Please scroll down.
Just to show that I did remember to include a disclaimer when the mods are doing their rounds?

The thing is, I tend to put in long and detailed disclaimers. They're often more than one paragraph long. This means that there's not enough room in the disclaimer field for me to type in my full disclaimer.

Ohhhh, I'm getting what you're saying now. I was sitting here going... you're joking right... I'm sooo not recoding the thing cause one person doesn't like it being at the top of the chapter, lol. blink.gifrealmad.gif But that's not what you meant!

Okay, so here's what I think you did mean.

You're asking if it is okay for you to put in something like "See disclaimer in the text of the first chapter." in the forced disclaimer field and then have the actual disclaimer inside the text of the first chapter. So it would look like this.

Disclaimer: See disclaimer in the text of the first chapter.

Chapter 1

Disclaimer - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Story text here

NEXT PAGE

Disclaimer: See disclaimer in the text of the first chapter.

Chapter 2

Story text here

That would be just fine, in my opinion.

However, if you were to put see first chapter for disclaimer, then NOT have one in the first chapter, we'd have to hurt you, lol. angel.gif

By the way, there are actually 255 characters available for the disclaimer field, not just 240, so there's a little leeway in the numbers, just so you know!

Yep, that's what I meant. Like I said, I understand why you recoded it for disclaimers, and I agree with it.

I like to personalize my disclaimers too. They tend to be several paragraphs long, and they're definitely over 300 characters long. That's why I can't fit it in the field.

My idea is to ask people to scroll down for the disclaimer in the first chapter and let them know that the disclaimer is at the beginning of the fic when it comes to the following chapters.

Now that I know it's OK, I'll just go through my work and fix it accordingly. I'll also check to see if I included the "profit" bit. I forget that sometimes. Don't worry - I never forget to include a disclaimer and I have a habit of following the rules.

ETA: I've just finished going through them. The disclaimer for my one-shot fit in the field and was at the very top anyway, so I took it out of the chapter text and put it in the disclaimer field.

As for the other two fanfics, this is the new pre-disclaimer:

Disclaimer: You know how the title of the first chapter has the word "disclaimer" in it? That's where you'll find the actual one. If this IS the first chapter, then keep reading and you'll find it. I promise!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the "profit" bit, but the disclaimers have been edited and that's there now.