Click Here!

Research

Guest Purple Lizard

Guest Purple Lizard

The tag says it all really.

But thats what has me stumped.

At what point should one call it quit on the research? Seeing as this is fan fic, most of the history is fairly well known, and then there is the option of AU, but on a piece of work, that your pouring you time into, how much is to much?

Do you build the story around the facts, or bend the facts to fit the story?

At what point do you accept the general myth, instead of basing it off the facts? (To clearify what I mean, something like the DeVinci Code, book or movie.)

Is the story what's most important? As a writer, I've always thought so, art for arts sake, but does that make it write? (pun!)

Or is it better to use only the most common knowledge, and fill in the unknown with what ever bull we wish?

Again, I know this is fiction, and fanfiction at that, (where the only limit is our own imagination, and the only rules are the ones with which we limit ourselves ) but I think the question should be asked; How much research is to much, or is there even such a thing?

The tag says it all really.

But thats what has me stumped.

At what point should one call it quit on the research? Seeing as this is fan fic, most of the history is fairly well known, and then there is the option of AU, but on a piece of work, that your pouring you time into, how much is to much?

Do you build the story around the facts, or bend the facts to fit the story?

At what point do you accept the general myth, instead of basing it off the facts? (To clearify what I mean, something like the DeVinci Code, book or movie.)

Is the story what's most important? As a writer, I've always thought so, art for arts sake, but does that make it write? (pun!)

Or is it better to use only the most common knowledge, and fill in the unknown with what ever bull we wish?

Again, I know this is fiction, and fanfiction at that, (where the only limit is our own imagination, and the only rules are the ones with which we limit ourselves ) but I think the question should be asked; How much research is to much, or is there even such a thing?

You are free to do whatever it takes to make your work as enjoyable as possible, even if it's only to yourself. Even though I care a great deal about what my readers think of my work, at the end of the day the motivation for my posting a story or chapter update is still that I personally find it enjoyable. If I were only posting to satisfy the other people you can bet I'd update a whole lot quicker. It's not that hard to write a piece here on AFF that gets people off, but what's most important is what the piece does for the author.

My opinion is that you just know when you've done enough. You find the point or something jumps out at you that tells you that you're done and just need to go with it. It's not something that you can explain beyond that, it's just instinctual is all. That's not a bit help I know, just something that has always worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

of course it's different for everyone so I'll just mention my experience.

I haven't written fan fiction for a few years now, but I was pretty much the same way then as I am now with research. If I went too full force into the researching before I started a fic, I'd let out all my steam just looking up the facts and by the time I was satisfied, I would have lost my drive to write the story in the first place.

So I compromised with myself. I still do the fun research, but only when I need it. For example, I research the basics of the main character's interests, and sometimes ethnicity, and the location of the story before I begin writing. Once I've started writing I only research as I need to.

But seriously, if other people don't lose interest in the story after loads of research, all the more power to them! But then there's the risk of getting too caught up in the facts that it dampens the creative flare... Hm...

Well, I guess my conclusion is, it's too much research if you feel the need to overstate the facts within your writing, or if you waste all your energy on researching rather than writing.

Well, for some fics you need to break rules of established canon to make the story work, you can either break them with no research which ruins your fic or you research it and study where the break must be made, so when you DO break it, you can hopefully break it in a way where it either flows well or strengthens the story.

I haven't written fan fiction for a few years now, but I was pretty much the same way then as I am now with research. If I went too full force into the researching before I started a fic, I'd let out all my steam just looking up the facts and by the time I was satisfied, I would have lost my drive to write the story in the first place.

that's how it works with me too :)

the point is to make things not necessarily true, but convincing :P

you can twist the reality completely, but if you do it in such a way that your story stays believable - point for you!

well, that doesn't apply to the case when a story is set in the real world and should be true to the facts, of course; then reaserch is vital;

When a person familiar with the concept has to do research just to understand what you're writing, then it's too much. You need to be true to the material, but not so incredibly in depth that it looks more like a research paper than smut.

Personally, I'm a stickler for details. I don't write fanfiction unless I know the fandom well enough to create a believable situation and I'm VERY self-conscious about it. Others do a fine job of diving in without all of the information but I'm a research hog. If a fan of the series asks me a question concerning my fiction, I like to be able to answer with full confidence. This is just me, though.

Well, every time I dive in without full research it tends to end out badly for me, besides it also depends on the fandom, some like 40k are really easy to make mistakes in, but in many aspects you have a lot of freedom.

• 2 months later...

Call me anal if you wish but if I am writing about something I want the facts accurate. However I only research when there is a need. I have never preformed an operation so would research it intensively while winging the rest such as a nurse caring for the patient afterward as most of what they do is common knowledge.

Of course if you are writing about something of which you have little knowledge, research is a must or you will have readers calling you on it. I would say it becomes too much if you are unable to write for reasearching.

• 1 month later...
Call me anal if you wish but if I am writing about something I want the facts accurate. However I only research when there is a need. I have never preformed an operation so would research it intensively while winging the rest such as a nurse caring for the patient afterward as most of what they do is common knowledge.

Of course if you are writing about something of which you have little knowledge, research is a must or you will have readers calling you on it. I would say it becomes too much if you are unable to write for researching.

hmmm... have to agree with Shadowspale on this one, the way I see it at least some research and facts are an evil necessity for the story to make sense.

On the other hand, the way I see it, it is your world you are creating even if the history is well known and it's a fanfic. There is a need to bend the facts you come up with to fit to you particular story. You have to make the judgement call on that .

lol, hope that made sense. Frankly, I don't think there really is one particular way you can go about it, it's very much interpretive.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all for researching to make the story more plausable (especially when writing HP fanfic so that people don't yell at you), but sometimes you just have to make the decision, "Is it really necessary to be a stickler for the details in this particular instance, or can I get away with not looking "x" up this time?"

If you can make the story still work without looking EVERYTHING up, then do it. But personally, (and I'm again going to use HP as an example since that's my preferred fandom) if it's something small I don't worry about looking it up. But if it's something important to the fic (such as a particular classroom, or character, or spell, etc.) then for sure I will spend as much time as possible doing the research to make it right.

I hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

The amount of research for a fanfic depends on where you're placing it within (or without) the cannon storyline. Does it take place after the cannon story ends? Then you're probably ok with just knowing the major plot points and a few major details. Placing your story between events in cannon takes a little more finesse to make sure characters don't reference events that haven't happened yet or people that haven't been introduced in the story unless there's a plausible reason for them to know a character prior to their appearance in the cannon story.

I think the most challenging type of fic is one that takes place during a major cannon event. The details are SO important in a fic like that. But that's just me, and I'm sure I've read fics where they weren't so picky outside of my preferred fandom and never noticed if the dialog or actions were exact. So it's mostly a personal choice on how much research is put into your fic. But I do have to say that research for fics is probably one of my favorite things to do because it gives me a reason to go back and read and watch my favorite fandoms! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I like to do research for the simple fact of not sounding like a total clueless idiot to my readers. But there are some aspects that can be stretched or even totally made up. I'd say if you're writing about the real world with real people in a situation or lifestyle you're not familiar with, then yes do research out the wazoo because you want it to be realistic. But if you're writing about a fantasty world then the sky's the limit! Really the only person who can decide that is you.

• 2 months later...

So I compromised with myself. I still do the fun research, but only when I need it. For example, I research the basics of the main character's interests, and sometimes ethnicity, and the location of the story before I begin writing. Once I've started writing I only research as I need to.

But seriously, if other people don't lose interest in the story after loads of research, all the more power to them! But then there's the risk of getting too caught up in the facts that it dampens the creative flare... Hm...

Well, I guess my conclusion is, it's too much research if you feel the need to overstate the facts within your writing, or if you waste all your energy on researching rather than writing.

This used to happen to me all the time, so now I quit researching before I'm fully satisfied so I still have the drive to actually write about whatever I'm researching. Then you can always go back while your writing, research a little more, and hopefully it'll give you some more inspiration.

First, as other and especially CloverReef have written, it can be hard to find the line. When you're writing just for fun, maybe just fifteen or twenty minutes of reading (not including searching) on-line would be enough. If you were writing a short story for submission then an afternoon or two on-line and at the library to gather facts would be enough. For a full novel, then plan to be spending a few months worth of free time. :)

As for changing the facts, we all have to do that a little bit anyway, even on top of the existing suspension of disbelief for the fandom or genre itself.

As an example, Bored_Straight is looking for information about guns (Hi!) so I suggested visiting a gun club. Maybe that level of research will help the story, but there's a small chance that describing something realistically instead of how it's portrayed in pop culture could seem fake to some readers. (To quote Vinnie Barbarino, "I'm so confused!")

Now, sometimes I'll spend days reading about something that interests me yet never have a chance to use in a story. (Go on, ask me about helicopter aerodynamics! Dissymmetry of lift anyone? :D) There's nothing wrong with that either, unless it interferes with work or chores of course.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to find out about helicopter tours because I still haven't ridden in one yet.

I started to fall into that hole on Tuesday while researching for our weekly challenge. It was about Fireside Girls uniforms and ranks. There's a lot of detail on the uniforms, but I ended up having to make the ranks based on screen shots. It blew part of my day so I was up all night writing and reducing... and ended up not using or even cutting 85% of what I'd learned. D'OH! :)