Click Here!

Writers Block

And 1

Hi all.

This is my 1st topic on the forums so please excuse if there is one like this already going.Basically I would like to start writing a few fan-fics to go with the ones I have already done for here.The only problem is when i go to write them I get writers block so can't come up with a plot or anything.Is there anyway to clear this away as I would love to do some for all to read out there.

Thanks

Andrew Price/And 1

when my friend had writer's block, she drew a block on a piece of paper, wrote 'writer' in the middle of it, tore it up, then set the pieces on fire. It's some sort of weird voodoo thing, I guess. I've never had writer's block in my life, more like the opposite of that which causes me great headaches. But, you can just write anything at all, get the juices flowing until you've gotten to the point where you can keep writing on the thing you want. Just keep busy.

Hi all.

This is my 1st topic on the forums so please excuse if there is one like this already going.Basically I would like to start writing a few fan-fics to go with the ones I have already done for here.The only problem is when i go to write them I get writers block so can't come up with a plot or anything.Is there anyway to clear this away as I would love to do some for all to read out there.

Thanks

Andrew Price/And 1

Write down anything to brake the block, and the use the words you pick to make up a story. Even if you don't use them later....

the blankness of the screen or the paper... causes mind freezes, sometimes you need, to grab your muse by the throat and shake the little bastard to wakefulness... he likes to be lazy and not produce plot bunnies like he should....so wake him up with a little violence or throttle him to life! Cal :balloon:

I draw more often than I write now, but I find that the same exact things that help me draw also help me write:

1) Do all your chores, clean up around your work/writing area. *Trust me, this works like a charm. You will not get distracted when everything is in order, and cleaning up allows you to think as well*

2) Find your muse. What do you enjoy watching, what engages you? A good way to figure out your muse is what do you collect?

3)Go on wikipedia and just go on a search for random stuff, wander around, click on links, it will cause the gears in your head to start working. It's how I got the idea for two of my stories. I happen to really like mythology so I just started clicking links. Go on deviantart and look around. Just some random boredom busting site, like www.listverse.com, www.deviantart.com, and www.snopes.com, they're websites I can spend hours on.

3) Make a scrapbook or memory box. Fill it with things that make you think or you enjoy. This is a calming and soothing activity that jumpstarts ideas.

4) Take a shower or a bath.

5) I have heard good and bad things around forcing yourself to write. My one proffessor swore by it. He insisted to keep writing and writing and eventually a good idea will come up and you can't stop writing. Just go on a tangent about random experiences. I'm not sure about the success of forcing yourself to write, but it may work for you.

Just my thoughts thus far, hopefully they help.

I find it very difficult to come up with a plot of a story. When I feel I have something to say but I'm unable in that moment to channel it into a story, I sit down to write an introspective. I don't concern myself with location or the details of material surroundings; I focus on my thoughts and feelings as though they're the thoughts and feelings of a fictional character, and I write them down. It's not like writing a diary entry which can sometimes feel confessional.

I love writing from this kind of first person point of view because I can be absolutely anything I want to be. Some writers prefer to craft characters that are separate from their own motives, but personally I find it much easier to write as if I am somebody else rather than 'planning' a character. As you write from the perspective of a fictional character by using your own thoughts and feelings, you'll become aware of the character's desires; what they want and what they aim for. This is a handy way of developing a plot.

If writing about your own thoughts and feelings doesn't work for you, draw your inspiration from people you think are interesting. Even though it's been almost two years since I was at college, I still feel immensely fascinated by my English/philosophy tutor, Anne. My friends and I used to call her 'the Oracle' because she seemed so mysterious and because her intelligence was unfathomable. 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides is written from the perspective of a male adult retelling his youth when he and his friends were mystefied and obsessed with the Lisbon sisters who lived across the street. If you've never read it before, I highly recommend it because the narration is exquisite and the story itself is wonderful. You might be able get a few ideas from it, too.

I never have trouble coming up with plots, which is probably my biggest problem. Anyone who keeps up with my fanfiction knows that I have this nasty habit of collecting a bunch of unfinished stories, but continue on writing up new ones. My head overflows with plots and ideas to the point where I have this giant list of story ideas on my computer (some I will probably never get around to writing in my lifetime due to the sheer size of the list). Whenever I watch a movie or read a book or even listen to a song, I have to keep paper and pencil with me at all times. The same is true for dreams. I have these really complex, disturbing nightmares that read a lot like scripted horror movies, and have the potential to become great fics, if I ever get around to writing them. It's actually quite annoying because I get so excited about writing these stories, but I have so many that I still have to finish and I love the written stories as well. My friends constantly ask me for ideas, but I'm so shy, I can never tell them what I would really do for their stories because I'm afraid they'll think I'm psychotic, even if a lot of my readers love my ideas. Sometimes I wish I could just plug my brain into a computer, then read what comes out of it. Whenever I'm in a writing class, I feel like an idiot. The problem is that in every writing class, we're given a prompt and then told to brainstorm for the rest of the class, but by the time the teacher is done explaining the prompt, I'm already writing and have to watch my friends and classmates struggle to find a plot. I often finish the story by the time that class ends and my teacher thinks I'm a slacker. Then people ask where I get my ideas and try to get me to help them and all that bullshit, not understanding that not all ideas are good for all people. I write a lot of crazy, disturbing stuff. In my most recent class, a girl decided to try to copy this disturbing trend, but she failed horribly and even people I didn't know came up to me and said how dumb it was she was trying to copy me. I tried to explain to them that I didn't care, I was just pissed that she had failed so horribly. I don't care if you copy my ideas as long as you do a good job of it. I mean, I can't write humor or sappy fics for shit and I'm sure not all writers can pull off bloody horror pieces. The point is, write what you can write best. If you're having problems writing, maybe you haven't found what that spark yet, or maybe you just need to keep writing until you get your flow back. Not everyone can get tons of plot ideas or know where they're going the second they start writing. The brain is a muscle, too, you know. I just wish mine could get a cramp every now and then. So, in a weird way, I guess I envy you people who get writer's block. Maybe this is just another case of green grass. Or maybe I should just go to sleep. nah.

• 1 month later...
Guest pontaloon

when i have writter's block, the worst possible thing i can do is watch a movie or read a book to get inspired. sure, it compels me to write, but i end up all but copying what i just watched. i don't do it intentionally, but the ideas i saw just stick so i cant come up with my own.

anyway, what i do is draw something and try to work out the mecanics of his wardrobe. let me explain: if i decide to give him a belt, i try to see the use in it. is it to hold a sword or a pouch... if so, why would he need those things... then my mind gets going and i get inspired!