Click Here!

Bossy readership keeping you down...?

scottishfae

I think people today have a sense of self entitlement. People do suck... There's a thread on here somewhere about dealing with people while working in sales. That about sums it up. People want what they want when they want it. Living in an age of instant gratification doesn't help the issue either.

I myself have gone 4 or 5 months without updating a few times because of hard times. Some days it just seems like the world hates you. And try living with a mental illness. It fucks with your moods like you wouldn't believe.

Fortunately I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with demanding readers. Usually they just get happy when I do update. Though I do have a Snarry fic I haven't updated in forever because the inspiration just isn't there, and people keep asking me to update. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't just slap words down onto a page. I put quite a lot of energy into my writig, then I send it to a beta, who is also a person with a life.

Are you getting paid to write fanfic?

(Since if the answer is yes, it's probably illegal, I"m going to assume the answer is no....)

If fanfic is not a paying job, then paying jobs (or school) come first. And family life and your own health does too. Fanfic is one more entertainment for fanfic writers, and if it stops being fun, there's no point in continuing.

(I do find it unprofessional when people start a ton of stories they never finish, but there's a difference between that and simply losing interest in a storyline, or needing a break for RL reasons. We're not professional authors in our capacity as fanfic writers, so we ought not be held to professional standards here, and any readers who try to hold us to professional standards are being unfair.)

I didn't start posting any fics here until I had the first draft done, though, so I don't have to worry about not finishing my stories.

• 1 month later...
Weel, I can see both sides, being a reader and a writer :unsure:

I think that the crucial thing is to put a line between not updating "because..." and an inclination to start story after story without ending them.

I believe writers should try to be kind of "reliable". If they upload something for the public, this public shouldn't be then forgotten and ignored :lol:

As a reader and a writer, my not so humble opinion could be described as "STFU and deal with my writer's block and/or the fact that I am now completely in love with my new idea." I consider my fanfiction as self-expression, not fan service and the same goes for others' fics too.

On the other hand, I tend to write one-shots that are connected to each other, providing a constant storyline while still meant to work completely on their own too and if I have a WIP with many chapters, I don't start posting it if I don't have all the material at least in the first draft phase. That is mostly to avoid writer's block Ben Dover and stress.

• 1 year later...

I've never had anyone out right demand I update (and I am Hella slow with updating) at most it's the usual, "please update again soon!" at the end of the review. If someone is going to be douschy enough they demand you finish your story becuase they think it needs to be done they aren't the kind of reader who is going to stick with you. It feels weird saying this, but I have a core group of fans who read and review pretty much every piece I've posted in the A7x fandom. They've been with me since I signed on and they know it may take a week or two to get a chapter up but they're willing to wait. Honestly, I can't tell them enough how motivating that is. Occasionally real life takes precedence and if a reader has an issue with that they're not worth listening to.

i got that too on FF.net and i never let them get to me! Yes writing is an art. I had one person when i first started get on my case because i was taking my time writing because i was still in Highschool when i did my first ever story! I sent that person a message to calm down and give me some time because i had school...he understood and wrote nicer reviews..So dont let them get ya and dont get rid of your stories

Oh, I definitely recognise this. I usually have what I call "writing spurs" when a lot comes out of my head and onto the "paper", and then, I have times when things are just a lot slower. And during those times, you definitely get complaints, sometimes even exceptionally rude ones.

Readers also don't get that just because you're not updating doesn't mean you're not writing on the story. I've had more than one chapter that took me to write multiple drafts before I finally got something that was right. It especially happens more often when you get further into a story because, with a WIP that's posted, you always have to watch out not to write yourself into a corner you can't get out of. So, when I progress further into a story, I start to check and double-check everything. Does it lead to the planned ending? Does it fit with all the info I supplied in previous chapters? Etc.

Right now I have a problem with a scene of one of my longer WIPs. I know what needs to happen in the scene, but it's a highly emotional one, and right now, I can't handle diving into the characters to make that scene come to life without it turning too melodramatic. So, I am waiting till I feel secure enough emotionally to write that scene. Now, I've tried explaining it and most readers get it, but some are just ... well ... all about self-satisfaction I suppose and whatever you say to them, they'll never be okay with your answer unless you can supply them with daily updates or whatever speed they can live with. So, I stopped trying and just went with: This is what I am writing now; don't like, don't read. I'm sure I'll lose a few readers due to that, but eh... my personal health comes first.

However, as a reader myself, I understand the frustration at not being able to read on when you love a fic. And I, too, have seen my fair share of abandoned WIPs - though I've never flamed an author for it. What's the point? It's not like a flame would encourage anyone to write quicker or suddenly think: Oh, that was so inspiring, I'll go and write now. *snnnrks*

As a writer, I say, I never forced you to press on a WIP. And when you do, you need to take into account that fanfic writers have real lives and other things that take precedence over writing fanfiction which is a hobby. It doesn't pay the bills, cook meals, etc. I also don't think I am that bad at updating. If you look at the total amount I've written over the entire period I've been posting online, I've coughed up an average of 2,8 chapters a month. Sure, there have been long hiatuses at times, but there also have been times when I would update every two-three days; nobody complains then about you going too fast. And I've every intention to finish all the fics I've started, so it can get irritating when you get reviews stating: "Oh you're not going to finish ... blah blah blah." Especially when it happens on FFnet, because there I deliberately use my profile as an information page on what's happening in the terms of progress on my fics.

OK... I'll stop ranting now and focus on all the good and pleasant readers/reviewers who are an inspiration and a delight to write for. They are the majority out there, fortunately, and I love them. :kiss:

Not exactly 'bossy' but I do still get reviews for a stalled Harry/Tonks fic, asking for updates. Its kinda of annoying to find you have new reviews after an update only to then realise they're all on a fic that was last updated nearly six months ago.

Its nice that they like it but how about reading the new stuff I'm working on?

Edited by Daye

• 2 weeks later...

On another site I write on, we call that "reader's risk" Every time a reader picks up a story, they have to realize the author does have a real life and there is always the risk that the story might not be finished. If they can't accept that, they should wait for the final chapter to be posted before starting. Otherwise, just take what the author gives as what it is, a gift to the fans for even sharing their talent and vision, whether it's ever completed or not.