Click Here!

Sakujo = Delete?!? Please let me express

Shinju

Okay. I never thought I’d be one of those mid-20’s anime geeks who got angered by sub/dub translation discrepancies, but here I am. Think of this as a testament to my never ending lameness and I completely understand if you must mock me, go for it. Get a gun and relive me of my misery while you’re at it.

So I just got done watching the English dub of the episode where Mikami Teru makes his first appearance. I was so excited, only to be let down by the fact that his famous sakujo/eliminate catch-phrase had been translated to the ever so dorky “delete.” I boiled with my geeky fangirl rage and nearly turned off the TV. Eliminate, obliterate, eradicate, anything but delete!!!

Okay, I understand that delete is probably a more accurate translation of sakujo, and better shows certain aspects about Mikami’s character, yada yada yada. Someone explained it to me. But can no one explain to me why they just couldn’t use erase instead? I mean, it means the same thing and sounds a whole bunch less lame.

And another thing, while I’m here. My famous “they changed the scene before the NOT gay foot rub scene” rant. Yes, you must listen to my ravings!!!

The foot rub scene was not gay. Jesus and Judas symbolism blah blah blah. The rooftop scene before it was gay, but you wouldn’t know that if you just watched the dub because they frickin completely changed what they were saying. You can go to deathnote.tv to compare the sub to the dubbed version of the rooftop scene to see what I’m talking about.

Yes, as much as I love L on Light fanfiction, I understand that, by canon, L and Light are not gay. But you have to admit, if you watched it, the subbed version on the rooftop scene was kinda gay.

There, I'm done. I feel less angry now.

I'm not mocking you. If I were mocking you I would change my handle to Xyz, copy your avitar in cyan and make a mockery of all your posts by starting an opposite thread seconds after you post yours.

And, well, I never thought I would say this, with all the war and starving children in the world, but you're right. When Mikami Teru's famous line gets translated into something totally gay, dub bastardism becomes a serious problem.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.