Click Here!

Summer Movies 2008

shinigamiinochi

I was bored and every summer I write these little things in my livejournal, but since this is my first summer at aff.net, I thought I would post it here. It's basically my views of upcoming movies by the trailers and other stuff.

Indianna Jones: not going to see it. Why? Well, I saw the original three when I was a kid and the only part I liked was in The Temple of Doom when a guy got his heart ripped out. I never got into the series, so I prefer to save money for a movie that I can get really into.

Prince Caspian: I saw this film on Saturday and it was actually quite good. I was especially estatic because Eddie Izzard voice acted for the mouse. The worst part of this film I attribute to the assholicness of Disney. For those who saw it, you know what I'm talking about. The romance between Susan and Caspian was beyond stupid and the random pop song at the end just hightened the stupidity of the move. Damn you Disney!

Iron Man: Not going to see it because, unlike Batman and Spiderman, I am not familiar with the comics or mythology surrounding the character and the plot just didn't appeal to me. I plan to watch it when it becomes rentable.

Speed Racer: No. No, no, no. I didn't like the anime and I'm sure that I wouldn't like the American remake. When it comes to us trying to turn something Japanese into American, we never succeed, I have years of J Horror movies to back up this claim. That, and my friend saw it and said that it was like a reverse I Am Legend: she liked the ending, but not the middle or the beginning.

The Strangers: I like Liv Tyler, I think she's beautiful, but the only time I've seen her act was in Armageddon, so I can't say anything about it. It seems kind of creepy, but I'm going to wait and see what people think and then decide if I go see it, but this is the first summer movie I've become really interested in. Go, horror movies!!! Alas, I have been going through withdrawals since the last really good film I saw was Cloverfield. (Do not fight me about the greatness of Cloverfield, it's a personal thing)

Kung Fu Panda: No, the last animated film that I saw that I liked enough to justify the 7-10 dollar movie fee was Finding Nemo, and this just looks plain stupid.

The Incredible Hulk: I think that it is a testament to Edward Norton's ability to use mind kung fu on me that I saw this trailer and went 'hmm, maybe I'll see that'. Ever since Red Dragon, anything this guy does, I have that reaction. But, will I go see the film? Probably not. I love Norton, but I hate the Hulk, I even hated the cartoon as a kid. A green muscle man? No thank you.

The Happening: What, M. Night has a new movie? Where do I sign up?!! Screw all you people who make fun of me for liking Lady in the Water. I loved all of this guys films and this one is making people who don't like his stuff to consider a viewing, so, despite any hype, I WILL be seeing it.

Hancock: When I saw the Best Buy trailer, I had not even heard of this film, so I thought it was a big joke, but I went to see Prince Caspian, saw the real trailer, and thought, yeah, I want to see that! I love apathetic super heroes and I like Will Smith, so why not? There isn't enough hype yet for me to find reason to not like this film.

Hellboy 2: Maybe. I didn't like the characters of the first movie, but damn did I like the monsters. That, and its Guillermo del Torro, so its iffy so far. I'll see what develops as the release date gets closer.

The Dark Knight: YES, YES, FUCKING YES!!!! Why do I like this film, shall I count the ways? Ok, there's a scary clown, one of the few things that I am actually terrified of and I'm a horror freak and like being scared. The Joker looks so much better in this film than the others and he's my favorite Batman villain. I am a Batman whore, I have all the films and it was the Marvel comic that I watched/read the most (I hate Superman) and I liked Batman Begins despite my hesitence at having Christian Bale be Batman (better than George Clooney, but after American Psycho, I had issues with him). The second I saw this trailer, I was hooked and I am sooooo excited for this film! Don't care about hype, reviews, whatever, I am seeing this film.

The x-files movie: soooo, you're asking an X-files lover if she is going to see the movie? Ok, to be fair, I do have some issues with the film coming out years after the show ended, but hell, as long as Mulder and Scully are there, I'm game!

The Mummy 3: sigh, why would you make a sequel when the second film sucked? Now, I love Brendan Fraser, but the leading lady refused to come back, so how the hell are they going to pull that one off? Uh, no, not going to see this one, even if I got a free rental. Even the trailer looked incredibly stupid. When I saw the trailer, all I could think of was: I really wish that I had seen the Ruins. I know i had little money at the time, but how many films out there are about killer plants? Is it coming out soon? No? I should rent it or wait until I see a used version at Newbury Comics and just buy it. And then the trailer was over.

The Midnight Meat Train: pros: Clive Barker made it. Cons: sounds kind of dumb. So, will I see it? Don't know, haven't seen a trailer for it yet. Will let ya know when I do.

Some of you might have noticed that several films are missing from my list. I hate comedies and chick flicks, but I love horror and science fiction and I'm a bit depressed that there are so few of them this summer. Any film not on this list, I don't know about, I think it is too stupid or unimportant to even mention, or I just don't have enough information to say anything about it. Basically, I'm excited for the Dark Knight and hope that the Batman franchise never dies, and this summer appears to be the summer for super heroes.

Prince Caspian: I saw this film on Saturday and it was actually quite good. I was especially estatic because Eddie Izzard voice acted for the mouse. The worst part of this film I attribute to the assholicness of Disney. For those who saw it, you know what I'm talking about. The romance between Susan and Caspian was beyond stupid and the random pop song at the end just hightened the stupidity of the move. Damn you Disney!

What??? They tried to do a Susan/Caspian paring?!? Those mother fuckers! Clive Staples Lewis is rolling in his grave!!!

The Incredible Hulk: I think that it is a testament to Edward Norton's ability to use mind kung fu on me that I saw this trailer and went 'hmm, maybe I'll see that'. Ever since Red Dragon, anything this guy does, I have that reaction. But, will I go see the film? Probably not. I love Norton, but I hate the Hulk, I even hated the cartoon as a kid. A green muscle man? No thank you.

I used to love the old hulk tv show as a kid, but the first movie sucked. I mean, I really just saw it because Eric Bana is hot, but after that I decided never to see another movie just because it had a guy I thought was hot in it. This time I'm going to see the second one because I . . . um . . . admire Edward Norton's . . . er . . . . acting ability. You have to admit, he's really good in practically anything. It is NOT because my resolve is weak . . . honest!

The Happening: What, M. Night has a new movie? Where do I sign up?!! Screw all you people who make fun of me for liking Lady in the Water. I loved all of this guys films and this one is making people who don't like his stuff to consider a viewing, so, despite any hype, I WILL be seeing it.

*snort* You liked Lady in the Water? :(

Okay, maybe not that funny. I am somewhat of a begrudging fan of The Village so I shouldn't talk. But come on! All of his films??? Signs??? Aliens that can't find SOME way of maneuvering a flippin' door knob?@!?!? ((breathe, just breath, it was just a movie, nothing for me to get worked up about)) Okay, I'll see it though, just because I have a thing for movies with people with creepy masks on . . . .

The Dark Knight: YES, YES, FUCKING YES!!!!

Um, can I get a HELL YEAH??? I am SO figgin glad that they ditched Katie Holmes and substituted her for a chick that can act. I mean, Holmes just looks funny and I feel she ruins whatever movie she is in, which was sad, because she ruined Batman for me. Yes, Batman. I flippin LOVE Batman. And she ruined it. I hate her.

The x-files movie: soooo, you're asking an X-files lover if she is going to see the movie? Ok, to be fair, I do have some issues with the film coming out years after the show ended, but hell, as long as Mulder and Scully are there, I'm game!

They have another once comming out?!?!?!?! :w00t: It had better have David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson in it!!!

The Mummy 3: sigh, why would you make a sequel when the second film sucked?

Oh, come on, just the second film? I'm sorry, I'm a huge Brenden Frasier fan, but I could not keep my eyes open during either of those "Mummy" movies. No, seriously, I have no idea what the series is about because I would either fall asleep or get bored and start texting people.

What??? They tried to do a Susan/Caspian paring?!? Those mother fuckers! Clive Staples Lewis is rolling in his grave!!!

Oh good grief. They flirted. There wasn't anything else to it except, "Hey, he's kinda cute" and "Hey, she's kinda hot". Which, all things considered, just makes sense. Hell, there was more tension between her and Peter than there was between her and Caspian. The worst it got was a cheesy one-liner that the move itself lampshaded.

Iron Man: this was good enough. The sequel could be great.

The Dark Knight: BB was rather good, definitely going to see this.

Narnia 2: the first one was horrible, but this might a little better... I would hope. As a fantasy epic, it stands out from the rest of the summer movies, which might warrant a watch.

Speed Racer: Trailer is awesome. Very likely going to see.

The rest: probably not going to see. There was some other movie I was interested in but I've forgotten what.

Guest Jullians

I don't know about you.. But I like The Mummy movies... I saw it like... 10 times? And I can't but love it each time.

But you say Rachel Weisz doesn't show up in the third movie? That's a real pity :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.