Click Here!

What Is A Troll?

Birddi

Hello,

I am under the impression that the definition of the word 'troll' is being revised. But I'm still a bit confused, and I apologize for this, but what is a 'troll' exactly? I'm assuming we aren't talking about something that lives under a mountain, right?

So what is it?

My thanks and cheers,

-B.

A troll, generally speaking, is a user who seeks to cause problems with other users for no other reason than because they'll get a response.

General rule of thumb in forum, if you see a troll...DON'T feed it. In other words, if you ignore him/her, they aren't getting what they want, and they either stop or go away. If not, I can always HAMMER 'em. :lol:

As to other stuff, I'll defer to the archive mods as to what they are using as the definition for trolls in the archive.

Birddi, I'm a troll, but not on AFF.

If you would like to ask any questions regarding trolling, the International Troll Sisterhood (I, uh, had to tuck it in for the Bikini photoshoot) or ways of enraging even Buddhist monks then PM me and I will send you a link to the website of the troll philosopher Goa Tse Tung.

what is a 'troll' exactly?

True that the term "Troll" is being somewhat revised for this site -- but it's not that we ourselves don't know what it is that's taking time. It's the challenge describing the thing to others that don't know what it is that's taking a bit of brain grease -- it's difficult to even define this without the Trolls themselves claiming that we are whining, making accusations, or killing their dogs (it's what they do).

As far as AdultFanFiction.net goes, a decent clump of our Staff can spot a "Troll" a mile away. Thing is, the usual person can't (generally because they've had no reason to train their ear for the signs). A result of this is that, for instance, when I have to make the recommendation to "hammer" someone, my main concern ends up being about how others will view my action, rather than if I am being just -- and Trolls know it. They prey more on the ignorance of innocent bystanders (and their reactions) than the person they are actually trolling, hoping these bystanders will attack their target for them, and perhaps a great war can be instigated without much effort on the Troll's part.

An obvious indicator for a Troll is that they simply like to "cause problems". A quieter and often more effective strategy of Trolls, by which the usual person is often fooled, is to create smaller, gnawing background problems (all the while showing an innocent face to the crowd) that they know will eventually hobble their current victim in an effort to actually encourage administrative actions (actions that will, because of the quietness of the Troll's sabotage, seem grossly uncalled for). This way, if they seem benign enough to others (part of the strategy too -- they'll often cozy right up to people they can later use), all of his or her friends pop out of the woodwork to defend this "poor oppressed soul" by the time any given administration dares to purge this Troll. Viola! We suddenly have a Staff of Nazis, and libel fodder spread far and wide on the Internet that cause damages online as well as in the "real world".

That's the kind of Troll I deal with on a daily basis. But certainly this sort of harassment can plague anyone at all. On this site, an Author can have their own personal Troll (someone who keeps giving them bad reviews under different account names and follows them around the Internet is the usual incarnation). Some can hang on for years.

I've spoken of Trolls in a Forum/Internet sense for most of this post, but it is interesting to note that this term is well known in the IRL workforce as well. IRL Trolls are basically the same thing as Internet ones, only unplugged, and non-anonymous. They will work at a certain company for little other purpose than to toss wrenches into others' work. These people are quite feared (for it is not an Internet user's good name at stake this time, but potentially millions of dollars and actual livelihoods) and are therefore hunted out in businesses large and small every day.

Let me say that I do not think Trolls are necessarily evil people... but, when things cross too many lines, I myself am convinced that Trolling is a symptom of some sort of Internet-induced sociopathy. By and large, people are not who they "really are" when they are online (but maybe this person who likes to harm others is who they "really are"?). Through the anonymity the Internet affords us, these people can get away with behavior that would cause them to face actual consequences in "real life", but are completely without reprimand from the safety of their computer chair. And so they do.

Internet Trolls are not demons, but they most definitely can be sadistic cowards.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble is, there's so many kinds of Troll.

There's the scummy, asshole Trolls, who annoy everybody and break rules. They don't last long.

There's Flamebaiter Trolls, who aren't as loud but still get on people's nerves.

And there's Attention Whore Trolls who put real effort into existing. The trouble with them is that you barely notice aanything wrong with them and not feeding an Attention Whore is a real job. In fact, Attention Whore Trolls are easier to feed than to actually ignore. Attention Whores put a great deal of effort into not only being loud and obvious, but also into NOT breaking rules.

Sometimes Attention Whore Trolls take it professional.

• 5 months later...

Boy, I should know about this subject. A couple of months back (on another fic site), there was this flamebaiter troll that invaded the Tenchi fic site, posting abusive reviews to many of the authors, including myself. This idiot is currently a member of AFF, but so far he hasn't done anything yet to warrant reporting him. However, once the TMFFA is back-up, I plan to put this guy in his place by MSTing his PWP. :o

Edited by BigKwell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jaxxy
Boy, I should know about this subject. A couple of months back (on another fic site), there was this flamebaiter troll that invaded the Tenchi fic site, posting abusive reviews to many of the authors, including myself. This idiot is currently a member of AFF, but so far he hasn't done anything yet to warrant reporting him. However, once the TMFFA is back-up, I plan to put this guy in his place by MSTing his PWP. :jaws:

Awh, look out! We got some Troll-Trolls comin' down th' line! -shrieks with delight-

:balloon::bounce::balloon:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.