Click Here!

Soccer Or Football

shinigamiinochi

I'm an American writer, Massachusettes specifically, but currently in my story, I'm dealing with a character in Brazil. He's watching his brothers and sisters play. Now, in America, which is were the story will be read and, hopefully, published, the sport is called soccer, but where the character is from, it is called football. Should I call it football to stay in character or soccer in fear that it will confuse those that read it? Also, I mention a lot of Portuguese food and kept the original name, but I can't figure out a way to explain what the dishes exactly are in the story except in footnotes as I think that the character stopping to explain what each dish is when he's been eating it his whole life sounds very stilted. So, how can I explain it and sound natural without going on and on about food? Also, I'm trying to do some research for an Inuit character, but I have no idea where to start. Last question: which is better, a character in a dire situation looking back on how they got there, or simple going through the whole process in numeralogical order?

If he's from Brazil then there's just no way on earth he'd be prepared to call it soccer. But that would be a good reason to have some minor conflict in the story - others keep calling it soccer, and he reminds them occasionally that it's called football, not soccer. If not then just adding a note to the story to explain it would be fine.

One way you could have the Brazilian character talk about the food is have an American ask him about it, that would give him an excuse to go into some detail about it. If that's not appropriate then you could either not worry about it at all, or just leave a note explaining what exactly is in the meal if you feel it's important.

Oh, I just realised, exactly where is your Brazilian character? Still in Brazil or in America? If he's actually in Brazil then the above things probably won't work, unless you could introduce a foreign character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit That link will help you with info regarding the Inuit. It also has external links down the bottom for further research.

As far as the last question is concerned, that very much depends on the style of the story. There's no right or wrong way to go about it. Look at the old Columbo TV series, with Peter Falk. The start of each episode showed who gets murdered and who did it. The rest of the show is about how Columbo finds out for himself who the killer is. And it works, primarily because of the Columbo character. Both of the options you suggested would work, how well depends on the story itself, and you're probably in the best position to decide which way might work best.

I hope at least some of that helps. :angry:

If he's from Brazil then there's just no way on earth he'd be prepared to call it soccer. But that would be a good reason to have some minor conflict in the story - others keep calling it soccer, and he reminds them occasionally that it's called football, not soccer. If not then just adding a note to the story to explain it would be fine.

One way you could have the Brazilian character talk about the food is have an American ask him about it, that would give him an excuse to go into some detail about it. If that's not appropriate then you could either not worry about it at all, or just leave a note explaining what exactly is in the meal if you feel it's important.

Oh, I just realised, exactly where is your Brazilian character? Still in Brazil or in America? If he's actually in Brazil then the above things probably won't work, unless you could introduce a foreign character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit That link will help you with info regarding the Inuit. It also has external links down the bottom for further research.

As far as the last question is concerned, that very much depends on the style of the story. There's no right or wrong way to go about it. Look at the old Columbo TV series, with Peter Falk. The start of each episode showed who gets murdered and who did it. The rest of the show is about how Columbo finds out for himself who the killer is. And it works, primarily because of the Columbo character. Both of the options you suggested would work, how well depends on the story itself, and you're probably in the best position to decide which way might work best.

I hope at least some of that helps. :angry:

Yeah, the food thing is a problem because of the fact that they're in Brazil and he does not come to America for a very, very long time. I think I'll just mention the fact that the ball is black and white and hope that my reader's aren't so stupid that they still think it's american football. Thanks for the Inuit link, there's just so much information, it's hard to sort through the BS. Thanks for answering my questions, it does help a lot. BTW, I absolutely love your icon ^^

Yeah, the food thing is a problem because of the fact that they're in Brazil and he does not come to America for a very, very long time. I think I'll just mention the fact that the ball is black and white and hope that my reader's aren't so stupid that they still think it's american football. Thanks for the Inuit link, there's just so much information, it's hard to sort through the BS. Thanks for answering my questions, it does help a lot. BTW, I absolutely love your icon ^^

You may be underestimating people's stupidity. lol Perhaps you could simply have the character mention that he knows some countries ignorantly call it soccer rather than football, something like that. You're welcome re. the Inuit link. :) And I'm glad you like my icon. :lol: lol