Click Here!

Fan Fiction Magazine?

ladytsunadesama

I'm not sure if this is the right place or not, if it isn't please let me know!

I had a question about a little idea I had. I was considering a fan fiction magazine prject. Perhaps in e-zine form, or something. I was just curious as to the legalities involved in this thing.

Now, I'm not suggesting republishing the fiction but more along the lines of author interviews, writing tips/reviews of software for writing, a section for authors to announce updates/new stories/etc, and I'm sure I’ll think of something else. Since it's free, I don't think their would be too much of an issue,, but I'm curious.

In case you are wondering why, I am interested in starting a magazine of my own and I feel this would be a great training project, something on a resume, as well as a lot of fun.

• 7 months later...

AS a person who worked for a magazine in the nineties, I have to say it is possible only so long as you get the correct legal documents from the original licensing companies that provided the original stories. My experience in the industry (pre stroke) was that to print reviews of music or anything in the USA, you had to send a copy to the parent publishing company of the artist or author to get their stamp of approval as often as not. In a sue happy society, the more licenses and permits you have the better when anything goes into public domains.

I have heard that Japanese companies are often more lenient. You might be capable of producing a manga/anime specific fan fiction magazine by contacting and getting the same types of permits as publishers grant (SP?) Doujinshi artists. However, I think it also depends upon which country you originate in whether or not said permits/licenses would effectively apply. You have to effectively cover your legal fanny across the board.

Same goes for writing software and all the rest. Are you going to contact Microsoft to get their stamp of approval to put up a fan fiction author's feelings about their software? Are you going to contact Apple about their writing software? Running a Magazine, even an E-zine requires you to keep a long list of contacts even when the magazine is free to the public. Who will be your advertisers? You have to pay for your site and the publicity somehow. Now that I have given you a few tidbits of how to run a magazine or E-zine, I hope I have not scared you off the ideal. Do some research into the above mentioned topics, and Very Good Luck to you.