Click Here!

Questions about ToS and Content

I'm posting these questions here (I hope this is the right place) before I add any content to archive. Yes, I've read the ToS and the Forum Rules and the Disclaimer Rules, but I really want to be clear on these issues before I start posting stories.

Some background: I started writing erotica when I was 17, when I first got my hands on a book by Anais Nin. Since my lil' erotica hard drive has grow to a midly impressive 300 stories (okay, maybe not impressive to you, but to me it's impressive). Some are fanfiction, some are original fiction. Obviously, the fanfiction is welcome here. First question, is the original fiction welcome here, too? Is there any interest in original erotic fiction?

Example: After having drinks with a couple of my friends one night, and talking about if we ever cheated on boyfriends - and why - I started writing a series of fictional interviews entitled why women cheat. The idea is that a sociology professor went around interviewing women who had cheated on their husbands and boyfriends. Each "interview" had a theme . . . and, yes, is a heavy erotic element. The idea is that the sex becomes more believable because the setting and backstory suspends the reader's disbelief (all very Nabokov).

Is that welcome here or should I take it elsewhere?

Second question: what do the forum administrators require in terms of minor aged characters? Relax, I'm not talking pedophilia, but I don't belong to that group of innocent dreamers who hope and believe that sex begins at 18 (my mother is a card-carrying member of that group . . . right). Clearly, you allow Harry Potter fanfiction, and most of those characters are, um, well under the age of eighteen.

Do you discourage age references? Do you discourage writers from using the any descriptions that might imply the fictional character is under the age of 18? I know you say in ToS that writers have creative license, but I thought I would ask before I post.

Are there any subject matters which are taboo (taboo = do not post it on the forum)?

I don't write about real people so that part of your content guidelines does not apply. My characters are all fictional, whether created by me or someone else.

Final question: I think I read there is a six hundred word limit per chapter. Am I right on that? I write predominantly one-hit short stories - but all are over 600 words long and most are around 2500 words or more.

Anyway, I'd like to get this clear before I start posting. I'm quite enjoying the forum and hope you will enjoy my future contributions.

Hi, Danielle... I am not a staff member but I hope I can help you with this. If not, someone from staff will delete this and answer you properly :)

For question number one. Yes, Original fiction is very welcome in the archive, there is a whole archive just for that. Just make sure that you put your story in the appropriate section. (i.e. slash in slash, fantasy in fantasy, het in het, etc.)

But to answer question number two. The only restriction to stories is, that the site does not allow real person fiction, about people who are under the age of 18. So fictional characters under 18 are fine, just remember to tag the story appropriately.

Nothing is really taboo, save for that one bit. No real person fiction about people under 18 years old.

And to your final question... no... chapters can be long. Very long. Far more than 2500 words. I think the longest one I've ever posted was close to about 7000 words.

The 600 limit is for Author's notes. And I think it's supposed to be 600 characters. Maybe it's 600 words, I can't remember at the moment.

But the 600 words (characters) limit, applies only to Author's notes, which, just to be clear, are the little tidbits of information some authors like to give their readers at the start, or end of a chapter.

But the chapters themselves can be quite long indeed. I don't even think there is a real limit on the length of a chapter.

So, welcome to the archive and the forum, and hope you have a lot of fun.

(and sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. was just trying to help out. :) )

Author notes within a chapter are limited to 600 words. You can have an AN in each and every chapter, if you want, as long as it doesn't exceed 600 words per chapter. As far as I'm aware, there is no real limit on chapter size added. I set the chapter field properties to allow for very large chapters, but the setting doesn't actually say a character or word limit. At one point in the past, the chapter field had been changed to where it did have a bit of a limit, but the end result of that was truncation of chapter data on some stories. (You'll find those across the site in older sections, and yes, where I can, they will be fixed).

As to other limitations, the disclaimer field is limited to 240 characters, and the summary field to 250. Character count does include spaces.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.