Click Here!

Hate Politicians or hate Politics?

Guest Agaib

Guest Agaib

I was looking over my "Jokes of the day" that Google so kindly sends Me, and I found this joke.

Four surgeons were sitting around discussing who they like to operate on.

The first surgeon said, "I like operating on librarians. When you open them up everything is in alphabetical order".

The second surgeon said, "I like operating on accountants. When you open them up everything is in numerical order".

The third surgeon said, "I like operating on electricians. When you open them up everything is color coded.

The fourth surgeon said, "I like operating on politicians."

The other three surgeons looked at each other in disbelief. One of them asked why.

The fourth surgeon replied, "Because they are heartless, gutless, spineless, and their ass and head are interchangeable".

Ha ha! Its pretty funny, but it made Me think...

Exactly HOW genuine are most politicians?

Is President Bush just someone determined to make a profit off of his office? Or does he REALLY believe what he's doing is right?

Several presidential hopefulls are claiming to be from a "new kind of politics." What does that really mean? and how different will this new type be?

I can't say I really have an opinion on this as of yet. Sometimes I feel guilty when I giggle at those jokes meant to blast politicians. Are they REALLY all people full of mal intent? Is it possible that such a large group of human beings all be bad?

or maybe I'm just too optimistic... ermm.gif

I can't say for certain what the intentions of all politicians are. What I can say is that some of them probably start out with good intentions, but we all know where that leads.

I am currently taking government in college, and I have determined that while they claim to be for or against certain issues, they will change everything come election time just to keep the job. It is kind of disheartening.

I think the best way to deal with it all is to laugh when you can. Otherwise you'll just be crying all the time. So if politician jokes make you laugh, then have fun with it. I certainly won't hold it against you.

Guest Big Samurai

The government needs people to run it, and picking the best people for the office is akin to picking corn out of poop. I'll do it, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna enjoy it. I mean, I'm all about doing my civic duty and all that. (If you don't vote, you can't complain!) However, it's often a 'lesser of two evils' thing. Come '08, though, it might be a little different. I can't wait for that election!

The government needs people to run it, and picking the best people for the office is akin to picking corn out of poop. I'll do it, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna enjoy it. I mean, I'm all about doing my civic duty and all that. (If you don't vote, you can't complain!) However, it's often a 'lesser of two evils' thing. Come '08, though, it might be a little different. I can't wait for that election!

What I'm saying is that its the job that makes politicians such irritating people. I haven't had the chance to vote yet because no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get an absentee ballot over here. That doesn't mean I won't stop trying, but it is getting a bit annoying.

BTW Big Sam, that image of picking corn out of poop will haunt me. blink.gif

Guest Yhitzak

My sister is a political science major and watching her go through the motions is while genuinely disheartening, also very enlightening. I think that most people who go into politics genuinely *do* have the desire to make the world a better place. Once these people figure out that they can't change the system on their own, they realize that if you can't beat 'em, it's best just to join 'em. Eventually, it becomes about power, money, and keeping yourself afloat.

Using GW as any kind of political example is -in my humble opinion- folly. He's not a politician, he's a figurehead. There certainly are a good number of politicians in his cabinet, though. Using those people as an example, no I don't think it's about any sort of ideal or moral hierarchy; it's about power and money and keeping themselves afloat.

New Politics... hah. I laugh derisively at the idea. There is no such thing as 'new' politics while we're still fighting out the same old battles in the same old ways. Eliminating the two-party system would *really* be a change in politics! Viva la revolucion!

Guest echtrae

I'm personally in favor of the removal of the two party system. I've always believed that each person that runs for an office, should be a party unto themselves. I also believe that the foreign lobbies should be removed from scene altogether.

Guest Agaib
I'm personally in favor of the removal of the two party system. I've always believed that each person that runs for an office, should be a party unto themselves. I also believe that the foreign lobbies should be removed from scene altogether.

Just a question, not to be critical, but curious. What would you have in place of a two party system? Can you describe your alternative? I really don't believe in polarizing politics, but sometimes I wonder if a no party system would just end up as a euphemism for a ONE party system.

Maybe not, structure I think is important, but it has to be built carefully I suppose.

Guest Yhitzak

Eliminating lobbyists is certainly key to creating a better political system, no doubt. I was talking about this with my coworkers on Saturday, and we all decided that everyone in public office should have term limits. Term limits would all but eliminate this system of legalized bribery, but it would also create (as suggested by nikolatesla1) a really hairy system of government.

I've always wondered why politcal parties were necessary, since most people don't fall into one category or another; most people's personal politics lie in a very grey area. The way I've always seen it, party isn't what matters: it's what each individual candidate intends to do that matters most. (In practise, this is a whole other matter, I realize.) But when it comes down to it, how does anyone or any group go about restructuring a political system that has been in place since the founding of the country (regardless of which country we're discussing)?

Guest echtrae

Generally such restructuring requires a revolution of some sort.

Agaib you do you make an interesting point. I failed to take into consideration the actual behavior of people. Perhaps a better option would be to ensure that there are at least three political parties. Who knows? It's not like we're going to solve anything here. dry.gif

In England, there are two main parties (Labour and Conservative), and several smaller parties. While the two main parties are primarily in charge of the government, it is possible (and currently applicable) that a small party member is elected to the House of Commons. Granted, English government is really, really different from American government, but for a multi-party system it works. Well it works as well as any democratic government on the face of this planet does anyway.

Trae, your idea about having each person a party unto him/herself is also sort of represented here. There are currently 3 Members of Parliament here that have no political party. However, in order for the two party system to be abolished, we would have to completely start our government over again.

BTW Yhitzak, when you say "term limits" do you mean the time spent between elections or the total time in office? Just curious.

• 1 year later...
Guest Monsterking

the poltician is getting what he/she deserves whenever it be good or bad so i feel no sympathy for them at all. unless they obviously doing an good job

peace out brothers and sisters of adult-fanfiction.org and may the furs be with you "WOOOOOO!!"

Eliminating lobbyists is certainly key to creating a better political system, no doubt. I was talking about this with my coworkers on Saturday, and we all decided that everyone in public office should have term limits. Term limits would all but eliminate this system of legalized bribery, but it would also create (as suggested by nikolatesla1) a really hairy system of government.

I've always wondered why politcal parties were necessary, since most people don't fall into one category or another; most people's personal politics lie in a very grey area. The way I've always seen it, party isn't what matters: it's what each individual candidate intends to do that matters most. (In practise, this is a whole other matter, I realize.) But when it comes down to it, how does anyone or any group go about restructuring a political system that has been in place since the founding of the country (regardless of which country we're discussing)?

there is nothing wrong with lobbyists. lobbyists are groups of citizens who get together to make sure their voices are heard, they serve the interests of the people who join the groups by raising money and organizing the voices of millions of people into a single message. The NRA is a group of 40 million american citizens (i'm one of them) who want to protect their gun rights, so we do something about it. There are hundreds of other lobbies and I would guess that every voter has interest being represented by one of them.

Others have said that the two party system is bad, but parliamentary systems just give lobbies a stronger position. Small parties are usualy single issue or very narrow in scope and are essentially elected lobbyists.

I agree that parties are bad. When the country was first founded, George Washington warned against forming parties. People did it anyway. And ever since then it has been the Democrats vs. the Republicans. Both sides are so busy fighting with each other and trying to make themselves the party in control that they loose sight of what is best for the country.

As far as politicians being bad people... Yeah, they are all sneaky, underhanded liars. Anyone see the movie Evan Almighty? It actually paints a fairly accurate picture. A man wanting to make a difference gets elected. Said man gets noticed by a fellow politician in a fairly high place of power. Feeling flattered and wanting to keep afloat he clings to this powerful man. Though then he finds out that in order to stay in this other man's good graces, he has to help him get something passed that would screw the country.

Now in reality God doesn't intervine with a flood, but the rest of it hits the nail on the head. In order to get anything done you have to make deals with others. Everyone is a self centered asshole that only cares about their own agenda.

I agree that parties are bad. When the country was first founded, George Washington warned against forming parties. People did it anyway. And ever since then it has been the Democrats vs. the Republicans.

Actually it was Federalists vs. Anti-Federalists. Then it was Democratic-Republicans vs. Democrats. Next came Whigs vs. Democrats, after that it was Democrats vs. Republicans.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.