Click Here!

Let's Get in On...

Guest .:Deathbringer:.

I've been taking a queue from Redsliver lately. When I'm working on one of my Final Fantasy stories I've been listening to the OST from the game (all 4 *choke* disks of it), but if I'm working on my original piece I've been listening to Enigma. It fits really - and I mean really fits. I know that once I start writing full time on my Murphy stories I'll be listening to all kinds of things - from Fucking Death Metal (yeah - that's what it's called) to Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. It depends on the mood of the chapter I suppose.

• 3 months later...

I have a large array of music, and normally, I'll think "Hmm, let's listen to this," and try to get an inspiration out of it.

Two songs by what I dub the "Medieval Metal" group Dragonforce inspired me to write two of the stories I'm currently working on, Nexus and Excalion. Those songs are "Soldiers of the Wasteland" and "Fury of the Storm". I should note that the former is almost ten minutes long and the latter is almost six, but damn if the guitar riffs aren't bitchin' to listen to.

Also, a bunch of sexy songs (in my opinion, anyway) got me inspired to write my first work I posted on AFF, Reaching The Stars. "Chained to You" by Savage Garden, "Calling You" by DJ Sammy, and two songs by Kevin Little, "Turn Me On" and "Tempted to Touch". I used those songs in the actual story, and it worked well for me.

Where dramatic stories are concerned, I have a whole bunch of sectionals of an actual novel I had an idea for way back in high school that are still sitting in my computer inspired from somewhat depressing songs. Stuff like "Listen to Your Heart", by Roxette and the slow remake by DHT, "Never Had A Dream Come True" by S Club 7 (yeah, I know, disgustingly cheesy), and so on and so forth, are just examples of the kind of stuff I listen to when I'm in a bit of a funk and I feel like writing something.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid I almost always listen to Kurt Elling, whether I'm working at work or working on a story. His songs have wormed their way into my long fiction in a couple of places. They're very passionate and spiritual, so they definitely have a way of focussing certain emotions in me that sometimes connect with what's going on in my story.

If it weren't Kurt Elling, it would be some other kind of jazz. The only problem with jazz is that it tends to make a strong personal statement which could quite possibly conflict with the spirit of the story. But it's very inspirational, because the best jazz speaks deeply from the artist's heart, just like I wish to be able to do with writing.