Click Here!

Reviving a Long Dead Story

Guest Agaib

Yea, as a few of you may know, or not. It's not really important. I have a story called The House. I think its a good story, I like it, but it's not flawless by any measure. The problem is, because of the way life goes, I've been slacking off on updating the story for some time. I'd like to continue My work on the story, however, but I'm having trouble getting back into "it." I'm sure you guys know what "it" is. It's that magical thing working in your mind that puts you in the mood to create a story, and do well. Well because of neglecting the story I seem to have lost "it."

Do any of you guys have a suggestion about how to get "it" back? Or is pursuit of such a thing futile and in the words of Joss Whedon.

"When does it stop being CPR and start being necrophilia?

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I suggest you try rereading it. Sometimes, when I'm stumped or have lost the rhythem of a story, I just go ack and read over what I've already got and I can usuallypick it ack up again because the feeling of the story is fresh in my mind again. Read it as though your writing it again (if that makes sense), make sure to go through it as if you were editing it, not like a reader.

I hope I'm being helpful. tongue.gif

My problem is that if I reread the entire thing I'll be horribly tempted to rewrite large portions to further satisfy My artistic needs. Unfortunately, My artistic needs can be somewhat... unrealistic. But it may seem I have no other choice, I'll have to reread the thing. Further suggestions would be appreciated though. ^^

Imagine an interview.

I resurrected a story once by writing an interview of a character.

it was supposed to be a 'our story so far' piece. Wasn't sure if i was going ot include it or not. Then the character started reminding me of where i'd planned to go with the piece. It brought out a lot of stuff i'd forgotten.

And brought me closer to the character.

I lose "it" with every story, it's part of my M.O. In fact, it's just happened again; I know what I want to do, I'm just not doing it.

I think re-reading is a good suggestion, I've done that myself. Don't focus so much on the stuff you're dissatisfied with, instead, revel in what makes you say "damn that was some good stuff!" I don't know if you outline or jot down notes for your whole story ahead of time, but sometimes, to get the flow back, I'll start with a later chapter and ease back into the writing thing in general. Once the creative juices get flowing and I'm jazzed again, I'll go back and write the next chronological chapter.

Now, if I could only practice what I preach. blink.giflaugh.gif