Click Here!

Type Cast Actors, Easier to Write About?

TheBlackadder

Hey guys,

So with my Sherlock Holmes Fan Fiction (I think it's more of a Blackwood fan fiction. I keep throwing a chapter or two with Watson and Holmes in there so it keeps the story in the genere, but it's pretty much all about Blackwood.) of course I go back to the movie and watch it over again for more source material. Although, like with alot of stories based on a character with a limited part in a movie, you sort of find your well of inspiration and material quickly running dry.

In my case, I've started watching other stuff Mark Strong has been in for more ideas. Some of his characters he plays are completely off the deep end and no where close to Blackwood, but some of them are darn close in attitude and mannerisms.

Do you think that Characters played by actors who are basically type cast are easier to write about because there are other places you can pull from to help develop your characters story?

~Marian~ AKA The Blackadder

Do you think that Characters played by actors who are basically type cast are easier to write about because there are other places you can pull from to help develop your characters story?

Yes.

Hands down.

Haha.

When typecast its easier to just imagine that one side of the actor; especially the villain typecasts. Like Mark Strong or Jason Isaacs, even Dominic West (300, Centurion, etc) to an extent because all we ever see is their nasty side and its what obviously appeals, if you're writing a fanfic about the character they're playing, to you.

It also, I think, goes hand in hand with how well they do their job as a villain. I don't think Tim Curry would've sold being a baddie in Three Musketeers if it weren't for how damn convincing he is when acting.

I so hope that made sense, sorry if it didn't, movies and I = tongue-tied long rambles. Haha!

DJ

Yes.

Hands down.

Haha.

When typecast its easier to just imagine that one side of the actor; especially the villain typecasts. Like Mark Strong or Jason Isaacs, even Dominic West (300, Centurion, etc) to an extent because all we ever see is their nasty side and its what obviously appeals, if you're writing a fanfic about the character they're playing, to you.

It also, I think, goes hand in hand with how well they do their job as a villain. I don't think Tim Curry would've sold being a baddie in Three Musketeers if it weren't for how damn convincing he is when acting.

I so hope that made sense, sorry if it didn't, movies and I = tongue-tied long rambles. Haha!

DJ

LOL, are you kidding? I am the QUEEN of rambling. I don't mind it :)

Jason Issacs is another Heartthrob of mine from way back. Even before he did the Patriot in 2000 (my god, has it been ten years already?), hence the reason I've written a couple of Tavington Fan Fictions LOL and the Hook one. British Actors always appeal to me for some reason. Especially the ones who are typed as Villains. Paul Bettany wasn't a favorite of mine until he played Bill in "Fire Wall". Talk about a scary S.O.B!!

It does get hard sometimes though writing about people who are English or live in England. I'm a southern California girl myself, and it's hard to write using their phrases and slang properly to keep the accent intact.

LOL, are you kidding? I am the QUEEN of rambling. I don't mind it :)

Jason Issacs is another Heartthrob of mine from way back. Even before he did the Patriot in 2000 (my god, has it been ten years already?), hence the reason I've written a couple of Tavington Fan Fictions LOL and the Hook one. British Actors always appeal to me for some reason. Especially the ones who are typed as Villains. Paul Bettany wasn't a favorite of mine until he played Bill in "Fire Wall". Talk about a scary S.O.B!!

It does get hard sometimes though writing about people who are English or live in England. I'm a southern California girl myself, and it's hard to write using their phrases and slang properly to keep the accent intact.

Haha! Phew, once I get started on movies and the like, its hard to shut me up easily :P

I love Jason Isaacs, such a frigging good actor. Dragonheart is a bad guy comical part, but funny as when he loses his pants during the "dragon attack", funniest scene ever! Haha.

Yeah, it shockingly has been, dang even I can't believe its been ten years!

Ah Hook, he did that part well.

Love him as Lucius Malfoy though, just the air about him makes ya go, S.O.B to the core.

I have never seen Fire Wall- adds that to list of movies to hire this weekend haha!

Paul's best role is in Legion! God that movie is awesome in so many ways, especially with the take on the angels.

I'm Australian... :( Haha! Its way hard to write in English or live in England cause we're like polar opposites to each other where I live.

I know nothing or phrases or English slang so don't feel so bad :D