Click Here!

Ratings sabotage

I've been on this site long enough and posted enough stories to know that it usually takes time to receive rating votes and reviews, unless you have friends read your stuff. However, over the past few days I have been receiving what I believe to be a high number of negative votes when it has never been a problem for me in the past.

I can't prove it, but I believe this to be the actions of JoeHundredaire. On July 3rd I received this review from him (My gf removed it the following day):

AdultFanFiction.net

to me

show details Jul 3 (4 days ago)

To view your reviews for Extreme Spider-Man, follow the link.

http://comics.adult-fanfiction.org/review.p...mp;no=600060695

Body of review from JoeHundredaire follows:

Well let's see. You spelled manner wrong in your disclaimer about how you don't approve of or promote the things in this story... yet you choose to write about them for entertainment anyways. That's kinda paints you as disturbingly unbalanced; if you (supposedly) think actions are wrong and such, why are you writing a story that glorifies them as central plot points? As for your writing, there are little errors mixed in here and there, it's short, simplistic, and far faster paced than an AU-establishing introduction chapter should be. I'd take another crack at rewriting this chapter before I moved on to a second, if I were in your shoes.

I probably should have let it go but I responded by email with this:

Review Response to Extreme Spider-Man

Bob Magnus [Chat now]

Add to Contacts

To:

JoeHundredaire,

I have copied and pasted sections of your review behind the ~~ marks. I have not edited or left out anything you said, and have responded below each section.

~~Well let's see. You spelled manner wrong in your disclaimer about how you don't approve of or promote the things in this story...

Thank you for pointing that out. What an annoying little mistake, now I have to go and fix every story and chapter I've used that disclaimer in.

~~yet you choose to write about them for entertainment anyways. That's kinda paints you as disturbingly unbalanced; if you (supposedly) think actions are wrong and such, why are you writing a story that glorifies them as central plot points?

First off the disclaimer I put up was just a general one I put in a lot my stories. It doesn't necessarily refer to every event in every story and/or chapter I write.

But to address the main issue of what you said; I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with acts of violence and socially unacceptable sexual acts... in a fantasy realm. However, there is a tremendous difference between rape, for example, taking place in a story and it taking place in real life. Am I unbalanced for recognizing that fact, and disapproving of those who would rape or commit acts of violence in real life?

If anything I would question the mental stability of someone who would criticize me for it...

~~As for your writing, there are little errors mixed in here and there,

I will be the first to admit that I am no English major and a lot of mistakes slip by me. I try to get the big ones, beyond that I don't really care.

~~it's short, simplistic, and far faster paced than an AU-establishing introduction chapter should be.

Even though this is a little opinionated it is actually a bit of constructive criticism in an otherwise insulting review that serves no purpose. So I will do my best to take it into serious consideration when writing future stories and chapters.

~~I'd take another crack at rewriting this chapter before I moved on to a second, if I were in your shoes.

Noted, but I think I like it the way it is.

As a closing note I'd like to offer you a bit of advice. In the future when (if) your writing serious reviews you may want to consider taking a more neutral/professional tone and a little less condescending. People will generally be less offended and take you much more seriously.

Thank you,

---AFF Magnus

He followed up with:

RE: Review Response to Extreme Spider-Man

Joseph Guendert [Chat now]

Add to Contacts

To:

Yes, rape occurs in real life. And it traumatizes the fuck out of people. Why the FUCK would you want to try and turn that into entertainment for people? That's disgusting. And the fact that you try to justify it disgusts me.

As for writing reviews, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the style I've used for six years and over 3000 reviews over three sites. Thanks for playing, though.

Shortly afterward I noticed the increase in negative reviews. Anyway, I don't know if you can do anything about this, but I really don't care for the idea of my story's rating being sabotaged by some malcontent. I've asked a few friends from other sites to read the story and leave a rating here to try and off set this, but I'm starting to run short on friends. =P

Also I do remember him leaving a rather abusive review on one of Heaven-Dragon's stories, but it has been removed, and his rating count also seems unusually high with a low rating. I would have contacted him to back my claim but I don't have access to his email.

Links:

My story - http://comics.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600060695

Heaven-Dragon's story - http://comics.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600060691

JoeHundredaire - http://comics.adult-fanfiction.org/authors.php?no=15054

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Magnus

Edited by DemonGoddess061
removed private email information

First thing you need to do is when you get them, LEAVE THEM UP! If you remove them, there is nothing we can do as that removes them from the database. Then hit the report review button on it. That sends us a report of it. Once we have it, we'll take it from there. Make sure that you tell us what the problem is and why you're reporting that. Beyond that, we'll certainly look into it and do what we can.

First of all, a bad review is NOT ratings sabotage. Reviews are a different function ENTIRELY from the ratings. The one has not a thing to do with the other, in how they work, other than being attached to the story.

Other than that, what Danyealle said for you to do, is what you do if you feel you're being flamed in a review.